Timmo sitting out.

King Knut

Apparently he's been drunk 24/7 since team USA crapped the bed in the bronze medal game last weekend and couldn't be bothered to get his old man ass back states side soon enough not to be too hung over and jet lagged to play Thursday.

Ahhh... Veteran leadership.

At his age and having played what should be his last Olympics, I have no problem giving him some slack. It was not that long ago that we were all screaming for him to be sat in favor of anybody not named Hal Gill due to his poor play.....

Oh I'm just picking in him and cracking wise. Not really criticizing.

At his age and having played what should be his last Olympics, I have no problem giving him some slack. It was not that long ago that we were all screaming for him to be sat in favor of anybody not named Hal Gill due to his poor play.....

Don't mind him sitting out against, say, Buffalo. But against the Sharks?

We need all the points we can get. Yet another downside of the Olympics.

Of all the teams that may be affected by the Olympics, the Flyers should be one of the least concerned.

Of all the teams that may be affected by the Olympics, the Flyers should be one of the least concerned.

How do you figure? The Flyers are fighting for their playoff lives, and their top defender is sitting the game out against an elite team because of his Olympic participation.

Tavares' injury is worse, but the Isles weren't making the postseason anyway.

@brelic

What I'm saying is every team had their best players in the Olympics. They all (for the most part) played their hearts out and had to deal with travelling halfway around the world and back. Some teams lost players to injury. Others will be emotionally drained.

The Flyers didn't have Giroux in there. Or Simmonds. Or Schenn, Couturier etc. And Timonen is going to miss a game. Raffl might be hungover. Voracek had the end of the games off.

If we miss the playoffs by a point or two, I'm looking at the brutal start of the year over one game missed by our oldest player.

"well celebrated for a couple days, let's put it that way"

You're making SIX MILLION DOLLARS to play hockey for a professional team. Act like a freaking professional.

Henrik Tallinder won the SILVER with Sweden, played the day after you did, is 35 and played last night in Buffalo - team going no where with no hope of the playoffs. You're a key cog in the Flyers' playoff push.

I wear #44, but this is, quite frankly, embarrassing.

• Like 2

LA didn't start Quick last night so many teams may rest key guys they will need heading down the stretch...

The Flyers didn't have Giroux in there. Or Simmonds. Or Schenn, Couturier etc. And Timonen is going to miss a game. Raffl might be hungover. Voracek had the end of the games off.

If we miss the playoffs by a point or two, I'm looking at the brutal start of the year over one game missed by our oldest player.

Yup, I agree about the brutal start. But the point I was making is that Timo is missing a game directly related to his participation in the Olympics. It's not the end of the world, but the Flyers pay his salary. Not Finland.

"well celebrated for a couple days, let's put it that way"

You're making SIX MILLION DOLLARS to play hockey for a professional team. Act like a freaking professional.

Henrik Tallinder won the SILVER with Sweden, played the day after you did, is 35 and played last night in Buffalo - team going no where with no hope of the playoffs. You're a key cog in the Flyers' playoff push.

I wear #44, but this is, quite frankly, embarrassing.

I would have to agree Rad.... he is, for better or worse, the Flyers # 1 dman.   Now is not the time for post celebration relaxation.   Timmo is the property of the Flyers and carries a hefty price tag.  He should be playing tonight... we need all the points possible down the stretch to even get into the playoffs.  

@brelic

I don't disagree with that one bit bre....I'd probably be more concerned about it if I thought the Flyers were actually going anywhere this year though.

there is that...   I still would like to see them get into the playoffs but I think they are one and done.  I just think the Flyers get a raw deal out of this but I am not in favor of the NHL participating in the Olympics.

I think the party angle is being blown a bit out of proportion. Jet lag is a beetch. Seems like a lot of players coming back from Sochi are sitting out games. I know when I've returned to the States from overseas (Europe a few times and Far East a couple times) it took me about a week to be able to sleep normally again.

I think the party angle is being blown a bit out of proportion. Jet lag is a beetch. Seems like a lot of players coming back from Sochi are sitting out games. I know when I've returned to the States from overseas (Europe a few times and Far East a couple times) it took me about a week to be able to sleep normally again.

This is a really good point. Also, I'm sure air flight recovery is a real individual specific kind of thing. Some players are probably so messed up, the sleeping patterns like you mentioned...you can't play an NHL game with no sleep, I'd venture to guess it'd be dangerous as all hell....lol.  I bet at least 10% of the league is terrified of flying in general, so yeah...a Trans Altantic flight there and back might be pushing some to the brink...it's a very real fear and comes with health repercussions. I think a lot of people just assume that athletes are not bothered by flying cause their livlyhoods require it....which is a false conclusion to make. They are like any other segment of the population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag

When I've travelled overseas, for some reason I didn't have much trouble on the trip out. I adjusted almost right away it seemed. But coming back, every time I was a mess. I literally could not stay awake past 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and then I'd be wide awake in the middle of the night. I certainly wouldn't have been of much use trying to play any kind of sports.

• Like 1

This is a really good point.

Man Trouba is just 20 yeas old already logging 26 minutes tonight.

That is what the Flyers need right there.

Right hand shot too. That is what they should have traded JVR for.....yeah whatever even sweeten it with a pick to get it done.

henrik tallinder

Isn't he a free agent he'd be an upgrade over grossmann and mezz for sure.

But he is Swedish. Need more Finns!

Edit: But Kimmo is the last Finn....so need to replenish the Finn supply, the organization status is at zero!!!!!  :D

Who could be our FINN!!!  

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

35yo henrik tallinder played the day after kimmo and played for buffalo Wednesday night...

And 31 year old Henrik Lundqvist also played the day after Timo and sat out the Rangers game against Chicago tonight. Lots of players came back and played. Some came back and sat out a game. Citing specific cases one way or another doesn't change the fact that there are actual, physiological problems associated with rapid travel across multiple time zones.

Agreed. I wouldn't discount fatigue. I'm sure it's hard on the system. But that also means the NHL or whoever sets the schedule did not build in that recovery time, forcing players to miss league games because of the Olympics.

And 31 year old Henrik Lundqvist also played the day after Timo and sat out the Rangers game against Chicago tonight. Lots of players came back and played. Some came back and sat out a game. Citing specific cases one way or another doesn't change the fact that there are actual, physiological problems associated with rapid travel across multiple time zones.

I'm not at all questioning that.

There are also "actual, physiological problems" associated with "celebrat[ing] for a couple days" - let's put it that way. That's Timonen's direct quote, btw.

Maybe a little less "celebrating" is in order when you have a commitment to an organization that is paying you six million dollars to be prepared to perform in a tight playoff race with 23 games left in the season and you know there are "actual, physiological problems associated with rapid travel across multiple time zones."

Again, I am a huge Timonen fan (wear #44), love Finland, was happy as heck they got a medal.

But he's got a job to do.

Jet lag does suck but the fact is we need points down this stretch and there are few easy games. I could see it if we were not so far into the the season but it is a sprint to the end of the season... Not a marathon.

You need your best dman in the lineup... More so against elite teams.

Edited by murraycraven