Goaltending was the difference, again.

Guest trevluk

it does hurt, though. of course, it hurts from today's cap situation's point of view....who knows what the cap looks like in 10 years? $1.8mil against a $120mil cap, who cares?

i dunno. i can't say i hate the idea. which only shows how much i hate having bryzgalov on the team at full salary.

You and me both aziz, you and me both.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I posted that breakdown for someone a day or two ago. The length of the destruction isn't pretty, but if management wants it badly enough, it isn't an insanely high price.

He will only get bought out if there is a penalty-free buyout period after the new CBA is created.

He will only get bought out if there is a penalty-free buyout period after the new CBA is created.

I would add that I could see him get bought out in future years too (say, in 4 or 5 years from now). But, yeah, the chances that he's bought out after this season *even if* there's a penalty-free buy out period are pretty slim.

$1.8mil against a $120mil cap, who cares?

Yeah, probably wouldn't be too big of a deal. But Bryzgalov has been so atroceous that he is almost not leaving the Flyers any choices. I don't recall the Flyers previous goalies been so utterly bad. Ironically - and sadly - when the Flyers didn't even try to address the goaltending issue their goalies were actually decent at least during the regular season. This year, the Flyers finally admitted they had a problem in net and went out and "addressed" it. And he sucks monkey's balls.

Only in Philadelphia.......

Man MD you really nailed it with that post. The irony is just unreal. Finally - FINALLY - the Flyers address the goaltending situation in a big way over the summer - and it's a total FAIL (so far).

It kinda serves them (us) right. Because also "finally - FINALLY" - we have a young, promising goaltender who turns in a helluva good rookie season and instead of supporting him by either A) giving him the #1 job, or B) [edit: that was supposed to be a "B"] hiring a guy to split the games, we go out and sign an overpriced, over-hyped (by his own words) goaltender to such an extreme contract we have no choice but to play him no matter what, no matter how bad he sucks.

Hopefully that mentality changed this past week and we saw the results of the change in the WC - Lavy started Bob. Yes he let in a terrible goal but I hope from now on he gets the majority of the starts - unless and until he starts letting in softies every game. But I think he'll rise to the challenge - with ups and downs of course, he's only in his 2nd year - and he'll become a legitimate starter in the NHL. I only hope it's for the Flyers.

Edited by canoli

Since we are talking buyouts, suppose each team is allowed one under the new CBA, do you buyout Pronger or Bryz???

bryzgalov. pronger's is tough because as an over 35 deal, the hit doesn't go away no matter what you do, except for LTIR. bryzgalov's is tough because as a contract with a NMC, you can't do anything to make the hit go away, period. plus, bryzgalov's deal is way longer, and pronger is, in fact, on the LTIR.

bryzgalov. pronger's is tough because as an over 35 deal, the hit doesn't go away no matter what you do, except for LTIR. bryzgalov's is tough because as a contract with a NMC, you can't do anything to make the hit go away, period. plus, bryzgalov's deal is way longer, and pronger is, in fact, on the LTIR.

While all of that is true, I actually think that there is a greater chance that Bryzgalov will come somewhere close (relatively speaking) to living up to his contract that Pronger will at this point. I think it would be a pretty tough decision.

Greetings:

Writ large, this team is not what we expected. That makes the D and G more glaring. Remember, we were supposed to have one of the best D's in the league. And our goal situation was supposed to be solved. Yeah.

At the start of the season I said wait until Turkey Day to make judgment. Now I say wait until trade deadline. This is a work in progress. Homer knows what's going on. I think JVR + something goes for a solid D-man. We may even see Bob go for either an older backup (maybe a Clemmenson) or a goalie pick.

I thought this season would be a marginal playoff contender. So we are better (so far) than expected but in ways that are totally unexpected. Our +/- differential is not so great...giving up too many goals. Let's see what happens over the next 20.

Best,

Howie

as an over 35 deal

I am thinking/hoping that ridiculous clause goes away as well. if it does, and you can buy-out those contracts, without reprocussions, the Flyers are going to have a very tough decision on their hands. Then again, if there is no buyout limitation..but them all out and hand Homer another $10 million/year to spend!

Speaking of which, did anyone see the blog where people are already predicting another lock-out? Comforting, isn't it? With Fehr running the NHLPA, it's hard to picture this being a "normal" negotiation.

I actually think that there is a greater chance that Bryzgalov will come somewhere close (relatively speaking) to living up to his contract that Pronger will at this point

maybe true, assuming pronger is done done. bryzgalov worth 25% of his remaining contract > pronger worth 0%. the major difference to me is that pronger's hit is mitigated during the season, bryzgalov's isn't.

I would add that I could see him get bought out in future years too (say, in 4 or 5 years from now). But, yeah, the chances that he's bought out after this season *even if* there's a penalty-free buy out period are pretty slim.

I could see Bryz "retiring" in that time frame and heading back to the KHL. That takes care of everything.

This isn't an Over-35 contract. Bryz can just walk away.

With the NMC, there's precious little the Flyers can do but hope.

I am a bit confused though - capgeek.com has him at $10M salary and $5M signing bonus this season, but that makes it a $56M contract? Is the signing bonus part of this year's salary? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I could see Bryz "retiring" in that time frame and heading back to the KHL. That takes care of everything.

With the NMC, there's precious little the Flyers can do but hope.

I am a bit confused though - capgeek.com has him at $10M salary and $5M signing bonus this season, but that makes it a $56M contract? Is the signing bonus part of this year's salary? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

The signing bonus definitely counts towards a "Club's payroll", but is that the same as "team salary"?

CLUB PAYROLLS

What will be the range of Club payrolls?

The payroll range in Year One (2005-06) of the CBA will be $21.5 million (U.S.) at the lower limit and $39 million (U.S.) at the upper limit. A Club's payroll will include all salaries, signing bonuses and performance bonuses paid to players. Except in the case of bona fide long-term injury (injuries that sideline a player for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games) to one or more of a club's players, Club payrolls will never be permitted to be below the minimum or in excess of the maximum. Clubs at or near the upper limit that have players who incur a bona fide long-term injury will be entitled to replace up to the full value of the injured player's NHL salary (even if such salary would result in the club's team salary exceeding the upper limit). The "replacement salary" will not count against the club's upper limit but will count against the League-wide players' share. Upon return of the injured player, the team must come into immediate compliance with the requirements of the payroll range.

As for walking away, that would mean Bryz would forfeit tens of millions of dollars. I just don't see that happening.

What would it take for him to walk away NOW? Man, I honestly don't remember the Flyers' goaltending being that bad during regular seasons. They used to get exposed and fall apart in teh playoffs, sure, but they were all (with really no exception) pretty solid during regualr seasons. But this is as bad as I've seen the Flyers goalies play EVER.

I think they should just bench him and go with Bob every friggin' game. Why not? Chicago benched Crawford and he came back stronger than ever. Perhaps that's their only recourse at this point.

As for walking away, that would mean Bryz would forfeit tens of millions of dollars. I just don't see that happening.

He's got $10, $6.5, $8, $6 on the books in the next four years. That's $30M in the first four years. $36M after 5. Plus the $5M bonus(?)

I am admittedly just spitballing here, but he could also be "Filatoved" over to the KHL in an "agreement" with, say, Minsk(?)

I would be shocked if he was here for the full nine years of the deal. Simply shocked. And I felt this way when it was signed.

I would be shocked if he was here for the full nine years of the deal. Simply shocked. And I felt this way when it was signed.

Completely agree. Even if he was playing like an elite, very very few players actually play into their 40s. There are 4 this year: Lidstrom, Selanne, O'Donnell, and Roloson.

Pronger is an interesting candidate for a normal buyout if the NHLPA gets rid of the 35+ rule in negotiations.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php?player_id=316

I think it might be worth them pursuing, since if teams could buy out dead weight, new contracts could be signed (due to both the number of contract cap and salary cap).

That might be the most succinct and eloquent answer to the question I've seen yet. I agree with your rationale.

Pronger is an interesting candidate for a normal buyout if the NHLPA gets rid of the 35+ rule in negotiations.

http://www.capgeek.c...p?player_id=316

I think it might be worth them pursuing, since if teams could buy out dead weight, new contracts could be signed (due to both the number of contract cap and salary cap).

I just followed your link and read the first paragraph... one thing has me confused though:

Chris Pronger has a 35-plus contract (see our FAQ for a detailed explanation). A buyout of his contract will save the team in actual dollars but not in cap dollars.

Isn't the main interest in being able to buy these guys out to actually save cap space? What difference does it make to a team like the Flyers, who can easily spend to the cap and have money left over to burn, if they can buy these guys out and save some money when it doesn't make things easier from a roster stand point?