Completely New to Hockey

Daerialadrian

My pleasure, hf101

I will say, one thing that always bothered me when the Stars moved down here, as much as I'm glad they did - I always pictured that 8-10 year old kid, that's the only team he's ever know, got posters on the wall, looks up to every single player... and the team up and moves on him.  I know how crushed I'd have been if that happened to my team.  Business, the ugly side of business.

As for hockey in D/FW, it'll never be quite on par with the other big sports but it's bigger than a lot of "traditional" hockey markets realize.  The crowds on TV can be deceiving, half the folks are in the many bars and plazas in the arena! :P  It ebbs and flows, though.  Popularity skyrocketed '98-mid '00's but has waned as the team struggled through Hick's bankruptcy (and it shows at the youth rinks, more older teens then younger ones right now).

A little success goes a long way though, we've got a young team that's fun to watch, you can feel the excitement building again!  

(Funny, I do want to spread the wealth around though.  I rooted for Van a few years ago 'cause "it's about time another Canadian team won it again".  lol)

I always pictured that 8-10 year old kid, that's the only team he's ever know, got posters on the wall, looks up to every single player... and the team up and moves on him.  I know how crushed I'd have been if that happened to my team.  Business, the ugly side of business.

True Yeah, maybe more so in other states, But in Minny chances are that an 8-10year old plays on his own team.  High School hockey is impressively huge in MN as the tournament has been televised prime time tv since the late 60's to the best of my memory.  Then there is a strong college hockey program throughout the state with the Gophers leading the way.  Surely the NHL was missed, as I'm glad the NHL returned with the Wild.  The Wild also do a good job of drafting and attracting local players.

As for the Stars, I've enjoyed watching the speed and energy that team has this season. They just need more consistency.  It will be fun watching them down the stretch as they play for a wild card spot.

True Yeah, maybe more so in other states, But in Minny chances are that an 8-10year old plays on his own team.  High School hockey is impressively huge in MN ...

Hockey in MN = football in TX, as I understand it.  Big is an understatement.

Quick story, we live in a fairly small town a little N of Dallas, a AA/AAA school, but also the most successful in TX high school history - most state titles, winning streak, blah blah.  My little boy started playing pee wee football in 1st grade, as most do, it's almost religion.

He took up skating and got into a beginner rec league in the spring of his 3th grade year as something fun to do in the "off season".  By 5th grade he was all in.  Still loved his football, and an important (if not a star) player on his team, but by then he'd joined a travel hockey team, the schedule overlap was too much, can't please both coaches, they all end up unhappy... sad, but he was going to have to choose.

When he didn't sign up for football his 6th grade year, I had coaches calling the house!  "What do you mean... for what? for HOCKEY?!?  He really needs to think about this..."  

I honestly think we could have turned Muslim (no disrespect) and it would have been better received!  LOL

No regrets, he loves it (and we bear the expense!) - and it truly is the greatest game on earth.    :)

@DBizzle99

ah, that is great, sometimes it is hard on kids not being in a school sponsored sport or activity in junior high and high school, but when they love their own activity it makes all the sacrifice worth it.

Best of luck to you and your son. 

@DBizzle99

Hi!  :)

Welcome to hockeyforums, from the resident (sort of) Blackhawks fan!  :lol:

It's always great to see fans of different teams here, especially Western conference teams since the Blackhawks are the only original 6 team in the conference now.

I thonk the Hawks and Stars have the makings of a great rivalry. :D