Wild Goaltending thread: Dubnyk trade latest

hf101

@TropicalFruitGirl26

After today's practice Kuemper left with an injury.  Fletcher is apparently on the phones for a goaltender.

I really haven't looked real close around the league to see who could be had without trading away certain players that I KNOW some other team would want, but for tonight's game, it will be Nik Backstrom with John Curry as the backup.

If Kuemper is going to be out any length of time, I would think Minnesota would want to try and get ahold of someone whom they can do a pure platoon situation with Backstrom till Kuemper gets back.

No way you dump everyday duties on a 36 yr old goalie with chronic health issues, nor do you trade away guys like Zucker, Coyle, Brodin, or Scandella to get a regular goalie if you intend of having Kuemper back (and having him start again), NOR do you platoon or give too many starts to a career minor leaguer like Curry.

To be honest, if the Wild go the 'platoon route' with Backstrom and someone else, Marty Brordeur, hate to say it, is starting to look more n more palatable.

Short term committment, experienced guy, guy who can play behind a defensive system...etc, etc....if there is someone better out there that the Wild don't have to break the bank or break up their young players for, I am not aware of him yet.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think Minny is the absolute natural landing spot for Reimer. The man needs a change of scenery and I really think he would do well there and the Wild have the pieces to offer to put a deal together.

I watched Backstrom break his teams back in the third period last night vs 'hawks.

so i'd say yes they need a goalie, I think there is a lot of talent on that team and they are in a funk at the moment.  

Seemed to me like when Bickel scored on the 'hawks first real entry into the Wild's zone in the third that all the air left the building and team.

That is the kind of stop a keeper needs to make and i don't think the wild have been getting. 

I would definitely be looking to upgrade that position because it is the thing keeping them in bubble team zone as opposed to challenging for the western crown.

@mojo1917 - I agree to you, but I think the break came in the second when Johnny Oduya scored.

My opinion, I'd like to see the Wild go out and try to acquire a legitimate #1 goatender. I like Backstrom, but he's done, and I'm not sold on Darcy Kuemper.

The problem is that the goaltenders the Wild have been linked too, via rumors I've read, don't instill much confidence that they'll be able to get a #1 - well at least not before the offseason.

Out of the names I've heard (Ward, Enroth, Neuvirth, Fasth, Scrivens) if they are going to bring in a guy I'd like to see how Antti Niemi could play between the pipes for them.

@mojo1917 - I agree to you, but I think the break came in the second when Johnny Oduya scored.My opinion, I'd like to see the Wild go out and try to acquire a legitimate #1 goatender. I like Backstrom, but he's done, and I'm not sold on Darcy Kuemper.The problem is that the goaltenders the Wild have been linked too, via rumors I've read, don't instill much confidence that they'll be able to get a #1 - well at least not before the offseason.Out of the names I've heard (Ward, Enroth, Neuvirth, Fasth, Scrivens) if they are going to bring in a guy I'd like to see how Antti Niemi could play between the pipes for them.

Ian I have seen quite a bit of Neuvirth and he has #1 ability, physically anyway. The style played by the wild suits his abilities too, for me , when I think of him it is a question of confidence , and having a coaching partner to help keep his positioning solid and outlook right.

Wow... Bob Mackenzie tweeted just a bit ago that the Wild are looking real hard at acquiring Devan Dubnyk from the Arizona Coyotes.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/555483147828482048

Gee, Dubnyk.

Cam Ward not available? Talk to the Habs about Tokarski perhaps? See about Peter Budaj? Reto Berra may be displaced in Colorado by Calvin Pickard as Varlamov's backup...how about him?

I just wonder who the Wild would have to give up to get the fine pieced of goaltending that is Devan Dubnyk.

I dunno...if that really does come to pass, maybe it helps, but I can't shake the feeling that if the Wild give up too much in a 'desperate' attempt to save the season, they may patch one hole while creating two or three others.....

Boy Devan Dubnyk  :huh:

I know I said I'm not being picky....

I'm going to assume this won't be the only new goaltender we see the Wild acquire before the trade deadline, I've got to believe that.  :lol:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

For a 3rd round pick.

not bad at all

Is that official now? Or is that just what is being offered/talked about?

I can live with a 3rd rounder given up...though I STILL don't see how Dubnyk is going to turn the goaltending fortunes around for the Wild.

Classic case though, of "what you have ain't workin, so get something else, even if it may not be much better".....  *sigh*

@J0e Th0rnton

I was kinda thinking on that also.  Smith is signed for 4 more year and Dubnyk was challenging him for the starting role.   -- Long term that is an issue.  

I'm wondering who gets called up for the Yotes?

Hard to say. They have a bunch of goalies from what I remember. They have a 22 year old first round pick goalie in the pipes who played 1 game against the Sharks last year. 3 goals on 32 shots.

or Burke might try to get his son a shot lol

a] The Coyotes aren't even attempting to hide an obvious attempt to go for McEichel when they trade the only guy that's been stopping the puck.

b] The Wild aren't getting a great goalie by any means, but he's an average NHL stopper. You could be WAY worse off than that.

It wasn't the toughest of nights for Devin Dubnyk, but he did what he had to do, and he was rewarded with the shutout.

I would have been better off watching the Wild than the Flyers, lol.  Good for Dubnyk.  I saw on twitter that he is the first goaltender to get a shutout in a first game with the organization.

I would have been better off watching the Wild than the Flyers, lol.  Good for Dubnyk.  I saw on twitter that he is the first goaltender to get a shutout in a first game with the organization.

First goalie to get a shutout in first game with the Wild? 

Pretty sure plenty of goalies have shutouts in their first NHL game, but maybe no one in Minnie.

First goalie to get a shutout in first game with the Wild? 

Pretty sure plenty of goalies have shutouts in their first NHL game, but maybe no one in Minnie.

I'm not really sure what the question is?  Technically speaking are we speaking about goalies who had a shut out for their NHL debut? Or goalies who where traded and in their 1st game with their new team recorded a SO?  In answer to question #1, goalies who had a SO in their NHL debut here is the list......

http://hockeygoalies.org/faq/debut-shutout.html

@pilldoc

Ya, I knew lots of goalies had shutouts in their first game with their team...wasn't sure if that was the topic or just with the Minni-Apple.

ok...after some digginng.. Bishop was traded from the Sens to Tampa in  April 2013.  His 1st game with Tampa was 1 day later vs. the Canes.  He posts a 5-0 SO.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-04-04/news/sns-rt-hkn-lightning-hurricanes-writethrumtze945r6k0jv-20130404_1_tampa-bay-lightning-teddy-purcell-keith-aulie

So there you have it...Dubnyk was the NOT the 1st goalie to record a SO in his debut with his new team.  I'm sure there are others.

Sorry HF..whoever posted that on Twitter seems to be incorrect.

It wasn't the toughest of nights for Devin Dubnyk, but he did what he had to do, and he was rewarded with the shutout.

Agreed with this part.

My husband yesterday was like "Hey, look...the Wild just blew up the Sabres".

That was outstanding, and when you have a still talented team like the Wild struggling the way they have, you take wins against whomever and however you can, but at the end of the day, this was STILL the Buffalo Sabres (and the measuring stick doesn't get much higher on Saturday vs the Coyotes), so Minnesota fans have to temper the excitement of the blowout win with the understanding of WHO, exactly, they blew up.

That all said, a win's a win, a win's a win, and the Wild did to Buffalo what a much better team is SUPPOSED to do: put'em down, and put'em down hard.

I can only imagine the anarchy had the result been a Buffalo win...especially if that win was convincingly...... **shudder**.

Minnesota faces a similar situation on Sat vs. Arizona.

I will be at that game, and wonder if Dubnyk gets to face his last former team (the man is on his 4th team in two seasons I believe!).

Wild need to just start stringing together wins.....at this point, I really don't care who they get them against either.

Also, can't remember where I heard it from, but I seem to recall that the Wild said something to the effect that when Kuemper is ready to go, they would actually carry THREE goalies?

Not sure how that would work, and frankly, I don't care right now.

I still like Kuemper and still feel he can be the number one for this team, but right now, all I care is that Minnesota has a guy who can not only stop the puck, but inspire confidence in the rest of the team so that they can do THEIR jobs effectively in front of him, as opposed to trying to go above and beyond their abilities/roles to compensate for leaky goaltending.

And if that takes going through a rogue's gallery of goalies, then so be it......

Archived