Wild Goaltending thread: Dubnyk trade latest

hf101

I will be at that game, and wonder if Dubnyk gets to face his last former team (the man is on his 4th team in two seasons I believe!).

Also, can't remember where I heard it from, but I seem to recall that the Wild said something to the effect that when Kuemper is ready to go, they would actually carry THREE goalies?

Not sure how that would work, and frankly, I don't care right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dubnyk got the start tomorrow, and depending on how he plays, it wouldn't shock me if he got the start on Monday against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Like you said we need to start stringing together some wins get on a roll and get a bit of confidence. I think we should be able to pick up at least 3 points in the next three games, or at least that's all I'm expecting. 

You're right about carrying 3 goalies, they were saying this recently on one of the broadcasts recently (I think it was last nights game.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should be able to pick up at least 3 points in the next three games, or at least that's all I'm expecting. 

I would have assumed we'd get a point out of Columbus, not Detroit, but they got the three points.  :mellow:

Dubnyk is now with his 5th team in 11 months. He was handed the Oiler job and bombed, went to the Preds when Rinne went down and was wretched, spent the end of the year last year in the Canadien organization playing in Hamilton.

This year he was signed by the Coyotes and actually seems to have gotten it together, Sean Burke is a solid goalie coach with a great reputation, hell he made Mike Smith serviceable. The 'Yotes are trying desperately to get into the McDavid sweepstakes and cannot afford anyone screwing that up so the fire sale began by dealing Dubnyk to the desperate Wild for a third round pick.

He had a shutout in his first start and then another good game or two and now he has turned back into Dubnyk, good game followed by awful game. Kuemper came in last night when the Wild fell behind 4-1 and held the Wings off the board as Parise and Koivu led them back to tie the game only to lose in the shootout.

Personally I don't care for a single goalie in the Wild system, Keumper is okay, I guess, Backstrom is brittle and innefective when he is in, Dubnyk plays like a man looking for his 6th organization in a year, Josh Harding, who I respect for overcoming more adversity than any man ever should have to is likely done. And John Curry, well, please.

Of them, if you had a gun to my head, I guess i would role the dice with Keumper with Dubnyk as an okay backup. I just don't think you have the makings of a playoff team with these guys. A team can win some games in spite of their goaltending, but the Wild need the goalies to steal some games, and quite frankly I don't think these guys can steal much of anything excepting their paychecks.

@yave1964

Harsh, but accurate take on the Minnesota goalie situation.

I was thinking after the Columbus game how the Wild will likely need to revisit the whole goalie situation once again this off season, because, as you pointed out, this team cannot seriously be considered a playoff contender without someone who is going to stop the puck.

The team STILL DOES have issues with finishing scoring chances...because even now they continue to get them.

They just can't put pucks away when given chance after chance, and in many cases almost CAN'T MISS chances... I.E. opposing goalies out of position, wide open nets, breakaways, tons of PP time, etc.

But of all the goalies, the one looking like the biggest goat, IMO, has to be Darcy Kuemper because HE was the one the organization banked on and gave into him by giving him his two year NHL-only contract he wanted, as opposed to the two way contract they originally wanted to give him.

Nik Backstrom?

Yep, everything you said about him has been true, but in his defense, he had come to terms that he would be a backup and his only focus all season should have been to give Kuemper rest days.

Josh Harding?

Yea, he did the idiot thing by kicking a wall, but then again, given his condition, the Wild really would have to have been not thinking straight if they thought he really was going to be a factor as a real option. The whole injury thing aside, Harding's health, unsurprisingly, has not allowed him to be much help to even the Iowa Wild at this point.

Devan Dubnyk?

If any of the above had worked out, he shouldn't even BE on the Wild.

John Curry?

Career minor leaguer at 30 years old....and he is not even in Robb Zepp's class.

Can't blame him, as again, the Wild shouldn't have needed to bring in a 30 yr old AHL'er into the mix.

Shame too.

While the forwards/finishing problems can possibly be sorted out, this goaltending situation is not so easy if Kuemper really can't get his schtick together.

It may end up with the Wild having to part with good pieces on the forward or defensive lines in order to land a goaltender of impact......

• 3 weeks later...

Dude is playing damn well i say 4 shutouts.....will he ever allow a goal again???

Wild fans can only hope.

But he faces down the Canucks tonight, and Dubnyk was a bit shaky in his outing against Colorado. He was lucky to get the shut out he did there.

Still though, not gonna discount what a stabilizing player he has been in net for the team.

Minnesota better get him more than a goal tonight vs the Sedins and co....somehow I get the feeling he won't be getting a SO tonight...but a win to crank it up to 6 in a row is WELL within the realm of possibility! :D

Archived