LaFontaine Resigns: What is going on?

hf101

LaFontaine was no where to be found while the Miller / Ott trade went down and earlier today TSN’s Bob McKenzie and CBC Sports’ Elliotte Friedman have reported there is a problem amongst the Sabres front office.  The only Sabres executive to speak on the trade was general manager Tim Murray.  Last month Murray was reported as stating "I don’t want a five-year rebuild".

So what gives here?  Did LaFontaine desire to keep Miller as part of the rebuild and now that he's gone wanted out?

@hf101  This is a really odd situation. I think 100% Murray made the right move by trading Miller and Ott, and the picks, prospect and players will strengthen the franchise for years to come. I can't see why Lafontaine would be upset by this move. It gives them the opportunity to par lay the players into even more picks, and gives them 3 first rounders in the McDavid draft, what is not to like?  Would he have preferred to lose Miller for nothing as a UFA....very puzzling.

@hf101  Yeah, I guess he did, perhaps some more info leaks out, cause it's not making sense right now.

Well unless Murray doesn't plan to keep Nolan going against LaFontaine wishes to keep him.  It really doesn't make sense.  Nolan has the team playing to win.

Don Cherry just ripped Murray, saying he went to the owner behind Lafontaines back to make the deal happen and Lafontaine resigned in protest over being disrespected. Another episode of all of our favorite soap opera, As the Sabre turns......

• Like 1

This plain and simple comes down to LaFontaine wanted final say on all moves. He wanted to resign Miller (bad idea) and was angry when Murray disagreed and pursued and executed the trade. This has nothing to do with Nolan. He actually has been offered a 3 year extension. I think the Sabres r better off now with one guy running the show. Big few days ahead for the Sabres. Let Murray do his job. I have full faith in Murray.

It cracks me the hell up to have memory of what people say before something happens and the 180 degree diametrically opposed song they sing after.

I'd be entertained if it wasn't so dizzyingly pathetic.

• Like 1

This plain and simple comes down to LaFontaine wanted final say on all moves.

Sounds right. At least that's how I felt when I heard Cherry talk about it.

He wanted to resign Miller (bad idea) and was angry when Murray disagreed and pursued and executed the trade

Good Lord!! You guys are LUCKY Patty up and quit, what kind of growth will that spurn? Lose out on that great haul? That is crazy talk!

Personally, I love Rick's idea. The Sabres get the players, picks and prospect AND Miller re-signs with them for next season. Imagine that?!  That would make it an outright STEAL for the Sabres....and really, there is nothing stopping this from happening, unless Miller would like to play for a winning contender. Who knows, maybe he sees life on the Blues and wants to give it another shot in Buffalo. How about this....the trade Miller every year, the make it an annual event of selling him off to contenders every spring, then re-sign him to another one year deal.....LOL!

• Like 1

Sounds right. At least that's how I felt when I heard Cherry talk about it.

Good Lord!! You guys are LUCKY Patty up and quit, what kind of growth will that spurn? Lose out on that great haul? That is crazy talk!

Personally, I love Rick's idea. The Sabres get the players, picks and prospect AND Miller re-signs with them for next season. Imagine that?!  That would make it an outright STEAL for the Sabres....and really, there is nothing stopping this from happening, unless Miller would like to play for a winning contender. Who knows, maybe he sees life on the Blues and wants to give it another shot in Buffalo. How about this....the trade Miller every year, the make it an annual event of selling him off to contenders every spring, then re-sign him to another one year deal.....LOL!

I would be all for this if the conditional pick didn't turn into a 2014 1st if Miller resigns with the Blues

Didn't LaFontaine also quit an Islanders' job awfully quickly and without notice?   It just seems to me maybe he doesn't have the constitution to be an executive.

But I will place all my chips on the red square that says that he wasn't happy about the Miller deal but that the crux is that his GM and his "hockey advisor" (Craig Patrick) don't want Nolan back.  I'll bet Murray and Patrick are winning the day in a battle with Patty and he has given up and gone back to the NHL.

This is the second time he quit a front office job.  I don't think I'd be the one to give him a third chance.

@ruxpin   Agreed, two and DONE for Patty boy!   As the Sabres turn is right....maybe Nolan goes over Murray's head next? ha ha.

Funny that idea occurred to me.  I actually hope not.   Sabres fans really do deserve better.

This plain and simple comes down to LaFontaine wanted final say on all moves.

... but if that is the case then why didn't LaFontaine take the title as GM and President of Hockey Operations in the first place?

@ruxpin  Historically, I hate the Sabres, but can't help being excited for them, turning the corner trading Miller, enough prospects and picks to make your head spin, we may have a few better players in Giroux and Voracheck, but I'd trade places with the Sabres in a New York second. By the time they are done, they could have 7 or 8 first rounders in the next couple years, with a legit shot at McDavid. All this and Ristolanin and Zadorov coming on the blue line...wow, this is gonna be one exciting team in 3-4 years. Their fan base must be GEEKED UP!  I'm actually excited for Rick...

... but if that is the case then why didn't LaFontaine take the title as GM and President of Hockey Operations in the first place?
Well when PL first came in he talked about wanting to be a GM one day. I think his long term goal was to get a GM in here kind of learn on the job and then eventually run the show. In the end I think he found out maybe this isn't for him. I love Pat and I was excited when he got here. But I think Murray and Patrick r the better hockey ppl.

@ruxpin  Historically, I hate the Sabres, but can't help being excited for them, turning the corner trading Miller, enough prospects and picks to make your head spin, we may have a few better players in Giroux and Voracheck, but I'd trade places with the Sabres in a New York second. By the time they are done, they could have 7 or 8 first rounders in the next couple years, with a legit shot at McDavid. All this and Ristolanin and Zadorov coming on the blue line...wow, this is gonna be one exciting team in 3-4 years. Their fan base must be GEEKED UP!  I'm actually excited for Rick...

and mean while back at the ranch, we have good ole Homer handing out and misusing contracts.  Now that is the way to rebuild. Talk about total demolition.  Rick, it might suck for a year or tow, but man, if handled properly, the Sabres just might find themselves in a very good position.

I wonder if maybe he didn't feel experienced enough or constitutionally strong enough to do the actual wheeling and dealing and interaction with other GMs but wanted the role of final say.

The other possibility is he was brought in to find a coach and a GM. It could be that with Murray in place and Patrick on board for advice that Pat decided being just a figure head with no particular purpose just wasn't for him.

Well when PL first came in he talked about wanting to be a GM one day. I think his long term goal was to get a GM in here kind of learn on the job and then eventually run the show. In the end I think he found out maybe this isn't for him. I love Pat and I was excited when he got here. But I think Murray and Patrick r the better hockey ppl.

I wonder if maybe he didn't feel experienced enough or constitutionally strong enough to do the actual wheeling and dealing and interaction with other GMs but wanted the role of final say.

The other possibility is he was brought in to find a coach and a GM. It could be that with Murray in place and Patrick on board for advice that Pat decided being just a figure head with no particular purpose just wasn't for him.

Both good points.  The timing is horrible though.