Please bench Downie for a year

King Knut

King:

This was a pick-up to stir the pot when we are in our lousy start mode. I think history will judge this to be one of Homer's poorer moves.  I do not think he will be resigned. I don't even think he is trade-bait as rental.

This is a game where our good work ethic is being undercut by lack of speed and clearing ability of our D (the third goal).  Downie is only part of the problem and I think he will be gone soon.  Our D and its rebuild won't be so easy.

Peace,

Howie

• Like 1

Move Raffl up and sit Downie. Bring up anybody to fill the extra spot or dress 7 d men.  I had supported the Downie deal since it provided some spark and more flexibility in the offseason with his contract coming off the books.  Now I just want to see him off the ice. 

• Like 1

I think that's just part of being Steve Downie.

He can take 2 for defending himself and be an agitator and take those minutes, but the double minor was just plain stupid.

Helluva game though. Edwin tenacious these guys. Shame they had to come back like that, but I'm glad they did!

He did get a raw deal getting 2 for defending himself against Erskine.

@Howie58

The good thing about the Downie deal was it got rid of an underachieving and unhappy Talbot contract

FC:  Can't argue that point. But I wonder if Talbot would hurt us as much. A youngster would be better than either. 

Peace,

Howie

@Howie58

The good thing about the Downie deal was it got rid of an underachieving and unhappy Talbot contract

This is true.  And probably got rid of Downie's money at the end of the season, too.  For that, it's fine.  And it did provide some spark early when we needed it.  I was against this trade from the get go because I really don't like Downie specifically, but you can't argue with the contract reasons and trying to ship out an unhappy ineffective player.

I still want them to sit his ass down, though.

Call up McGinn. Put him on the 4th line. Then put Raffl with Read and Couts. I really like Raffl and think he would be a perfect fit on that line. I really don't want to see Downie play another shift this year.

Edited by mng815

@ruxpin

Yeah, I would be one of those. Downie's arrival on this squad and placement on the 3rd line with Cooter and Read turned this season around. Argue that bitches.......the problem is you can't. Regardless of what he is did today, DOWNIE TURNED THIS SEASON AROUND.

I have not seen the today's game yet so I am sure I will see a boneheaded move by Downie that is bringing the hate when I do watch it. The boarding he took from Stephan last night should have drawn a major except it was Steve Downie that got hit. Everybody is so quick to **** on Downie and that is almost as bad as the threads that pop up after any Flyer loss whining woe is me and blow up this team. Does the defense need help? Absolutely. Could they be more effective with different pairings? Most certainly but we as fans have no say in that. Downie is a difference maker on the 3rd line which is something that Talbot came to think was beneath him for some reason. The Flyers shed the extra year of Talbot's contract by flipping him for Downie. I am sure that if Downie is going to continue his dumb plays that he will not be back next season. Chris Vandevelde will be fine on the 4th line and bump Raffl to the 3rd. Moneywise that can't be beat.

I just cant see him getting third line minuites....to me he is a carcillo like player with a scoring touch, but you cant have him on the fourth line, because his mini me rinaldo is already there....so lets jam raffl at center (another player playing out of position) on the 4th line.....i hate these lines so much....

Sorry rod. Any defense of Downie is simply idiotic. It's not about Talbot. There is no defending this guy. I don't care if we traded Gretzky or Nodl for him. He needs to take a seat in the press box and stay there until release.

I've been pretty consistent in that and reality supports the position.

As for turning the team around, that was about A trade, any trade, and shipping out a clearly unhappy vet that was initially brought here for leadership.

Downie is a brain dead player who incessantly turns the puck over, makes stupid decisions, and takes incessant stupid penalties. He's a liability on the ice. And THAT is reality. Get him off the ice .

Sorry rod. Any defense of Downie is simply idiotic. It's not about Talbot. There is no defending this guy. I don't care if we traded Gretzky or Nodl for him. He needs to take a seat in the press box and stay there until release.

I've been pretty consistent in that and reality supports the position.

As for turning the team around, that was about A trade, any trade, and shipping out a clearly unhappy vet that was initially brought here for leadership.

Downie is a brain dead player who incessantly turns the puck over, makes stupid decisions, and takes incessant stupid penalties. He's a liability on the ice. And THAT is reality. Get him off the ice .

I would vote this up if for not being on my mobile phone. Could not agree more.

Downie's arrival on this squad and placement on the 3rd line with Cooter and Read turned this season around. Argue that bitches.......the problem is you can't. Regardless of what he is did today, DOWNIE TURNED THIS SEASON AROUND.

Perhaps a  tad oversimplified, but I gotta agree with you. Yes, G coming back to his ppg form played a role, BUT....when this team *really* turned things around, it was when the 3rd line of Downie, Cooter and Read clicked. It gave them offensive depth for the first time this season, and all of a sudden we had 3 scoring lines, and thus some nice match-ups for the other lines as well. Like it or not, Downie played a BIG role on that line. Ya know what, if he starts getting hot point wise, we might just pull off a 3rd rounder if things go our way. So, clearing Talbot's remaining years, and a mid range draft pick means Homer did a good job. Even if we get nothing for Steve, we still cleared cap space, so a win/win as far as I can see.

• Like 1

I am frequently an idiot or at least play one on this web site. The blind hate several people have for Downie does not even leave them accept the stats that prove otherwise. Between the silly.com site and here I can pick out hundreds of posts by the same people who show this hate ( ;) you know the ones I mean rux) and would not even be swayed if he brought the Flyers Lord Stanley's Cup.  Downie brought something to this team just by removing a sulking Talbot. Again, If he continues stupid plays which he is more than capable of, I have no doubt he will be in the press box as Berube will not put up with it. I don't expect him to be signed after this season either but to blatantly ignore the changes that occurred team-wise since he arrived is folly too.

I am frequently an idiot or at least play one on this web site. The blind hate several people have for Downie does not even leave them accept the stats that prove otherwise. Between the silly.com site and here I can pick out hundreds of posts by the same people who show this hate ( ;) you know the ones I mean rux) and would not even be swayed if he brought the Flyers Lord Stanley's Cup.  Downie brought something to this team just by removing a sulking Talbot. Again, If he continues stupid plays which he is more than capable of, I have no doubt he will be in the press box as Berube will not put up with it. I don't expect him to be signed after this season either but to blatantly ignore the changes that occurred team-wise since he arrived is folly too.

You said it.

His bad play here far outweighs his good play. People don't blindly hate him, you're giving him waaaaay too much credit. He was a sparkplug, but it was for a short period of time it's irrelevant at this point. He stinks.

You said it.

His bad play here far outweighs his good play. People don't blindly hate him, you're giving him waaaaay too much credit. He was a sparkplug, but it was for a short period of time it's irrelevant at this point. He stinks.

Yes he has been terrible of late it is time to bench him and put Raffl on the wing with Coots and Read....i'd be ok with him never playing in the Orange and balck again.....he plays with zero heart and hustle and i'm tired of watching it.

Play someone who will be hungry to prove something.

Downie brings nothing no more.

• Like 1

He stinks.

That pretty much sums it up.  I try to give him a benefit of the doubt and watch intently when he is on the ice, hoping to find at least something positive, and I just can't see what it is he brings to the table.  He is a total dead weight. 

He is gone after this season. 

Edited by Mad Dog