Latest info from Homer

@JackStraw

No, l was 0 at the time :).  But think about it, basically only flyer fans care about those cups, other fans don't (as would be expected)  But now, playoff series in which a team goes down 0-3, part of the story before the 4th game (and if won, game 5,6,7) will be, can they make a miracle comeback like philly did in 2010.  Its a moment that will be kept alive by flyer fans and non flyer fans alike.

Oddly enough, the last time a team was down 0-3 in the NHL playoffs and came back to win before the Flyers did it was...

1975, the Islanders over the Penguins.

How many people were telling you stories of the 1975 Islanders in 2010? Not many, I'll wager. Even though the Islanders almost did the same thing against the Flyers in the next round.

Everybody who is a hockey fan knows the Broad Street Bullies and the 74/75 Cups. First expansion team to WIN a Cup is a major accomplishment.

To that end, are there more people who laud the Blues for being the first expansion team in the league to be in the Final - three consecutive times 68, 69 & 70 (never won a Finals game) - or more people that know they haven't ever won a Cup?

I'm gonna go with "never won a Cup."

Because people remember who WON.

@radoran  I remember that Islander series well, although it was not covered by the CBC up here...so I basically had to read about it, but remember reading about a possible game seven and recalling what long strange trip this series had been....was only 13, but do recall it quite well, so when the Flyers pulled off that feat, I knew how historic it was, having remembered the last time it happened. I believe it did happen once more, was it the Leafs in the 40's or 50....I seem to recall something like that.

@radoran  I remember that Islander series well, although it was not covered by the CBC up here...so I basically had to read about it, but remember reading about a possible game seven and recalling what long strange trip this series had been....was only 13, but do recall it quite well, so when the Flyers pulled off that feat, I knew how historic it was, having remembered the last time it happened. I believe it did happen once more, was it the Leafs in the 40's or 50....I seem to recall something like that.

You mean you don't tell stories about the 1942 Maple Leafs and their historic comeback?

I'm shocked. They won the Cup that year!

You know the Leafs have won 11 Cups, right? :ph34r:

I feel like I'm forgetting something he told us

That was a pretty accurate recap of what he said bro. The only other things I recall was that Homer thinks that Kimmo is so done after this year and has no intention trying to play next year and that he is in no hurry to sign Mez to any sort of deal and will just kind of let things play out. Otherwise I think you captured everything.

@JackStraw

No, l was 0 at the time :).  But think about it, basically only flyer fans care about those cups, other fans don't (as would be expected)  But now, playoff series in which a team goes down 0-3, part of the story before the 4th game (and if won, game 5,6,7) will be, can they make a miracle comeback like philly did in 2010.  Its a moment that will be kept alive by flyer fans and non flyer fans alike.

But I'm a Flyers fan and I don't particularly care about beating the Bruins in the 2nd round of the playoffs, regardless of the circumstances. And I don't particularly care about what non-Flyers fans remember.

• Like 1

JackStraw, on 04 Mar 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

I guarantee you wouldn't be saying that if the SCF ended with Pronger holding the Cup.

You're probably right. But it didn't happen that way, and the series itself wasn't terribly exciting like the Flyers/Pens was a few years later.

And if Gagne hadn't scored the GWG against Boston to cap a historical comeback, I probably wouldn't remember that series or that playoff run either. But the things that *did* happen are exactly what make it so memorable for me.

These are just personal preferences.

You're probably right. But it didn't happen that way, and the series itself wasn't terribly exciting like the Flyers/Pens was a few years later.

And if Gagne hadn't scored the GWG against Boston to cap a historical comeback, I probably wouldn't remember that series or that playoff run either. But the things that *did* happen are exactly what make it so memorable for me.

These are just personal preferences.

Oh, I understand completely. But the question for me is ultimately, should the team a) continue to make these kinds of moves (Pronger, Kesler rumor) which will undoubtedly provide some more memorable moments from time to time, or b) be patient and build a team that can be a legitimate Cup contender for 5+ years? I've seen plan a) for decades now and my best Flyers memories are still two Stanley Cup championships that happened almost 40 years ago.

Oh, I understand completely. But the question for me is ultimately, should the team a) continue to make these kinds of moves (Pronger, Kesler rumor) which will undoubtedly provide some more memorable moments from time to time, or b) be patient and build a team that can be a legitimate Cup contender for 5+ years? I've seen plan a) for decades now and my best Flyers memories are still two Stanley Cup championships that happened almost 40 years ago.

Well on this point, we agree. The Flyers need to show a little more patience in the way they build and improve the squad.

@JackStraw

Yeah, I basically agree.  Believe me, I'd rather they'd won the cup too.  But they didn't, and I just think the comeback was a pretty cool consolation prize. 

If one's enjoyment of following hockey is akin to: cup = happy, no cup = unhappy, well, you are setting yourself up for a fair amount of misery.  Me, I going to find enjoyment where I can, right down to the individual plays.  AND, IF HOMER'S GOAL, IS TO MAKE US MISERABLE,....WELL SCREW HIM.  I'M GONNA ENJOY IT ANYWAY!! :angry::D

And, for the record, I hope they stand pat, this week (unless the can sell for some picks)

• Like 1

@jackhole  I would love to get an extra pick for the draft in Philly, actually expecting another first rounder, we should be sellers rather than buyers. Let this team sink or swim on their own, and make us stronger through loading up in the draft.

@jackhole - if I was a fan of Philly sports team only to see them win championships I'd have given up a long time ago. To me the thing I've probably enjoyed the most is having had the opportunity to watch so many great players- Julius Erving, Mike Schmidt, Iverson, Steve Carlton, Clarke, Parent, Lindros (yeah, even him)... I've had a pretty good career as a fan in that regard. But I would really like to see the Flyers actually win the Cup again. It's been long enough.

@jackhole - if I was a fan of Philly sports team only to see them win championships I'd have given up a long time ago. To me the thing I've probably enjoyed the most is having had the opportunity to watch so many great players- Julius Erving, Mike Schmidt, Iverson, Steve Carlton, Clarke, Parent, Lindros (yeah, even him)... I've had a pretty good career as a fan in that regard. But I would really like to see the Flyers actually win the Cup again. It's been long enough.

I went through 100 seasons of losing (1983-2008) so I'm well aware that there's more to enjoying professional sports than simply winning.

But I went through 100 seasons of losing (1983-2008) so I'm well aware that the point of professional sports is winning.

The biggest achievement of my alma mater's NCAA basketball life is getting to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Once. An unforgettable win over Syracuse.

But no one goes to UVM expecting that the basketball team will compete for a national championship. We enjoyed it when it happened.

For my brother at UNC, simply getting to the second round of the NCAA's isn't any sort of achievement at all.

In the above example, I'm going to "UNC" in being a Flyers fan. I expect to make the playoffs. I expect to make some noise. I expect to have some runs deep.

I enjoy watching hockey. I've voluntarily watched Sabres games (:ph34r:).

I want more from the team I support.