Flyers at the trading deadline

brelic

I gotta say, it's eerily quiet on the Flyers trade front, is it not?

Just last season, we were the butt of many jokes where the Flyers were seemingly "in" on every possible trade scenario (e4).

On defense, I've heard or read about MacDonald, Trevor Daley, and Big Buff.

Up front, I've seen Vanek (but really only on here).

And in print, Homer says they're not likely to make any (big) moves.

Is anyone else seeing any trade rumours or activity around the Flyers?

I think we end up with MacDonald because of the Streit connection, and Meszaros gets shipped to Boston for a 3rd rounder.

That's a defensive upgrade, and a guy whose contract is expiring, so no commitment if he doesn't pass the eye test.

What do you think they will do at the deadline?

IMO there is no way Meszaros is back next year, but MacDonald's contract is up this year and he is noway a top pairing defender. I'd sooner let Meszaros expire here unless the deal is too good to be true. Daley makes sense, but with three years left on his contract at a reasonable number, I'd be interested to see what the asking price is. Dustin Byfuglien makes way toooooooooooooooo much IMO for what he offers. I think he is a bigger version of Mark Striet if you ask me and for that we do not need him of his cap hit. 

Vanek will never happen IMO.

The problem here is they are a fringe playoff team that probably will (if they make it) be a 1st or 2nd round exit team. To me that is the worst spot to be in. They cannot afford to be sellers, but don't have the flexibility to be buyers. 

I expect a Upshall for Carcillo "and the fans are going to love him" type move. Or in other words, move along nothing to see here type moves... Minor league contract swaps, low picks for depth type stuff.

MacDonald

Please God say no to this guy he only looks decent when he plays the Flyers...like Shelley could only score verse the Flyers. Please pass on him just trade Mezz for a used i.u.d. and Downie for a roll of tape.....call up Ollie Vandevelde or someone else.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/2/28/5457144/philadelphia-flyers-trade-rumors-andrew-macdonald-defense-2014

Philadelphia Flyers trade rumors: Saying no to Andrew MacDonald

"With the 9th-worst Corsi% in the league among defenders, even the most rudimentary analyst should be able to figure out that something has gone amiss here. The only players worse than him in the entire league play for possession luminaries like Toronto and Edmonton and Buffalo. While the Islanders are certainly not a good team, their possession numbers as a team are clearly out of the basement. MacDonald is the only Islander in the bottom fifty defenders (with 44+ games) in the league in terms of Corsi.

Corsi does not tell the whole story on its own, though. Perhaps he is just being bogged down by tough deployment and competition. He has indeed received tough deployment, the toughest among defenders on the Islanders. When we look at just his end-zone starts (so, excluding his shifts that start in the neutral zone), he starts in the offensive zone just 46.7% of the time. That's the 33rd lowest figure in the league.

How about his competition? If his opponents are regularly tough, surely that would drag down his possession numbers. Well, his competition is surely tough. He faces the 42nd toughest overall competition in the league."

know how grossmann's WOWYs are awful with everyone but he gets praised tremendously because of blocked shots?

Andrew MacDonald is that on steroids.

Please just say no.....keep walking.
Edited by OccamsRazor

Wow, OR. Had no idea his corsi was that bad!!

Yeah i swear it reminds me of when Shelly several years back like score 2-3 goals verse the Flyers, about the only team he looked good against so what does Homer do go out and sign him.

Same with McDonald the times i've seen them play he only showed up verse the Flyers....so i'm just in the trade our garbage for anything even just a pick if that is all....Mezz and Downie are just more a liability than anything else. 

I'd keep Meszaros at a friendlier cap hit.

Sorry i'll pass he is garbage he can't play consistent enough in the offensive zone and is a complete liability in his zone...the other team's best weapon. Waive him and bury him in the A.

The only thing he does well is screen Mason that is it. His -3 yesterday was bad enough he got lucky that he didn't finish -5 but Mason bailed him out on a couple...Ollie would be a better choice than this bum. Hell they can't move him no one's scouts are that dumb....ok maybe the Flyers are...

Edited by OccamsRazor

I think we end up with MacDonald because of the Streit connection, and Meszaros gets shipped to Boston for a 3rd rounder.

That's a defensive upgrade, and a guy whose contract is expiring, so no commitment if he doesn't pass the eye test.

Here is another good read on the subject of Dmen they maybe able to land cheaply...

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/3/3/5464174/philadelphia-flyers-trade-rumors-2014-defenseman-nhl-trade-deadline

enjoy...

Here is another good read on the subject of Dmen they maybe able to land cheaply...

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/3/3/5464174/philadelphia-flyers-trade-rumors-2014-defenseman-nhl-trade-deadline

enjoy...

Thanks OR.

What happened to Edler?? -21 this year?? Wow, wasn't he a hot commodity only a few years ago?

Does anyone on that list *really* make the Flyers a better team? Big Buff makes us more dangerous on the PP, and only has 2 years remaining. That's a responsible contract length. Ehrhoff is 31 and has 7 years left. Yuck.

Edler is a risky bet.

Call me crazy, but I don't think they need to do anything. Maybe move Meszaros to get *something* of value for a guy who doesn't seem to be in our longer term plans.

But, really, no need to do anything on defense unless it's a clear and long term solution.

My take is this is going to be a relatively quiet deadline for the Flyers.   I think Homer sticks with the core group and tries to upgrade the defense w/out moving any vital pieces that exist on the current roster.  I would hope they are not looking for the typical stay at home defenseman and at least acquire someone that can move the puck.  

Doom brings up a good point w/ Mezz... Would it make sense for the Flyers to actively shop Grossman and try to sign Mezz at a low cap hit?  Grossman has been a good dman for the Flyers but gets in trouble w/ faster teams.  I would be willing to take a flyer (no pun intended) on Mezz if it were a short and cheap contract.  I think Schenn and Grossman are similar players and would like to see more puck movement/offense with our defense.  We will not be getting an impact defensmen before the trade deadline and it would be a good way to open up some cap space since Grossman is on the books through 2016/17.  

Thanks OR.

What happened to Edler?? -21 this year?? Wow, wasn't he a hot commodity only a few years ago?

Does anyone on that list *really* make the Flyers a better team? Big Buff makes us more dangerous on the PP, and only has 2 years remaining. That's a responsible contract length. Ehrhoff is 31 and has 7 years left. Yuck.

Edler is a risky bet.

Call me crazy, but I don't think they need to do anything. Maybe move Meszaros to get *something* of value for a guy who doesn't seem to be in our longer term plans.

But, really, no need to do anything on defense unless it's a clear and long term solution.

On Edler...

Their coach getting fired and replaced by d!ckhead?????

Not sure what the price tag would be on those guys Gilbert to me maybe the cheapest option.

The Oilers waived Philip Larsen so i suggested Homer waive Mezz and Gill and claim Larsen and recall Ollie to play with his fellow country man from Denmark.

Larsen is a RH shot and Ollie LH. Plus bith are only 24. Plus this would let you retian all your young kids while allowing for a possible upgrade on the blueline.

Worth a shot. 

brelic,  murraycraven

I'm with you guys....I don't see the point of trading for more of what we already have too much of - mediocre defencemen.

FC,

I just dont see anyone out there that will make a huge impact.  Of course something could happen and Homer surprises us but I am in favor of things remaining status quo to be honest.  If an impact dman becomes available you make a run but dont overpay.   I have been critical of this Team's defense starting before training camp and I still am critical but I just do not believe they are one "upgrade" away.   The upgrade would have to be a legit #1 which I dont see happening before the deadline.

You can always address concerns in the offseason and leading up to the draft.

mediocre defencemen

Exactly which is why i suggested a low risk move by claiming Larsen he is only 24 and to me worth the risk....he may turn out to be garbage to but it would only cost the $125 waiver claim i can stomach that...and if it don't wok out oh well young tried just waive Mezz or Gill Larsen cap hit is only 1 mill. Low risk-reward type deal.

@OccamsRazor

Don't know much about Larsen so I can't really comment...but if the Oilers don't want him....I mean they are hurting bigtime on D.

Like i said it's low risk reward type thing....he was waived...not sure why but the whole team sucks...so i'd prefer this method to some of the nightmare things i envisioned Homer doing...all you would have to do is waive someone and pay $125....he may suck won't know if you don't try.

@OccamsRazor

I hear what you're saying. I'd be willing to try this over trading valuable assets for for something that likely won't really help. But again I don't know much about the guy.

A small clip on him...he seems to skate well and pretty fast for a Dman...

he ain't GrossmanN fast though...

LMAO! This made me laugh out loud at the office :) Well done sir.

I just dont see the point in bringing in another subpar player for this defense.   Gus is already in the pressbox most nights and is making 250K less...   To me, it is nothing more than making a trade for the sake of making a trade.   He will have no impact whatsoever...

If the Flyers were to go after a defenseman named "Larsen" I'd rather it was Adam Larsson. He's only 21, big, talented, and it sounds like he could possibly be had. No idea what the price would be though.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/02/adam_larsson_frustrated_in_ahl_but_still_wants_future_with_devils_not_elsewhere.html

If the Flyers were to go after a defenseman named "Larsen" I'd rather it was Adam Larsson. He's only 21, big, talented, and it sounds like he could possibly be had. No idea what the price would be though.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/02/adam_larsson_frustrated_in_ahl_but_still_wants_future_with_devils_not_elsewhere.html

PUFF PUFF PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D