Mike Milbury claims "Ted Nolan doesn't know much about hockey"

rjpags77

By the way Mike made it sound it looks like Ted Nolan will not sign as the Sabres head coach. He claimed that the Sabres need somebody they can trust and said that Nolan is not someone they can trust. What are your thoughts about this situation?

I think that Milbury is the last person who should talk about someone else's hockey knowledge.  Nolan flushes more hockey knowledge than Milbury has.

That said, I think Nolan is done at season's end.  There's something going on that Nolan feels like he wants to be loyal over.   He's not coming back.

• Like 2

I am sure Teddy Nolan is in awe of Mike Milbury's GM and broadcasting prowess....

Nolan should just go hide his head in shame.....

When the great Mike Milbury isn't yelling at other people's kids, he is dropping ALL sorts of knowledge on the rest of  us via NBC Sports and writing the book on how to properly build, coach and maintain franchises..along with fostering player relationships....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

I am sure Teddy Nolan is in awe of Mike Milbury's GM and broadcasting prowess....

Nolan should just go hide his head in shame.....

When the great Mike Milbury isn't yelling at other people's kids, he is dropping ALL sorts of knowledge on the rest of  us via NBC Sports and writing the book on how to properly build, coach and maintain franchises..along with fostering player relationships....

That was so good it needed to be posted twice!

I agree Nolan likely will not be back, he took the job as a favor to Lafontaine as an interim and brought stability to the team and has done a great job, I think he will walk at the end of the season. classy man. way to good for this dysfunctional organization

We're finally getting to the clean start that Pegula should have gone with from the jump.

The nostalgia has been effective in keeping fan interest and salving the wounds of losing longtime fixtures.

But the future really starts now for Buffalo and having a chance to have a new GM pick a new coach and build a new team is what's best for the Sabres in the short, medium and long term.

By the way Mike made it sound it looks like Ted Nolan will not sign as the Sabres head coach. He claimed that the Sabres need somebody they can trust and said that Nolan is not someone they can trust. What are your thoughts about this situation?

Mike Milbury is - quite possibly - the biggest idiot on the planet.

Mike Milbury is - quite possibly - the biggest idiot on the planet.

I mainly watch the intermission reports on NBCSports in the vain hope that JR will finally lose it and punch out Milbury.

A man can dream, can't he?

I mainly watch the intermission reports on NBCSports in the vain hope that JR will finally lose it and punch out Milbury.

A man can dream, can't he?

Do you think Milbury would  fight back or just throw his shoe? :ph34r:

• Like 2

Mike Milbury isn't exactly a genius, either, IMO.  He;s had a few good moments (such as coaching a Stanley Cup finals Boston Bruins team in 1990) but has also had "other" moments. 

The arbitration talks with Tommy Salo, when Salo was an Islander goalie, comes to mind ... Milbury dissed everything about Salo, including his goalie mask.

@Chicago Hawkie  Unreal huh, at some point you have to realize the guy you are cutting up to pieces will eventually be expected to be a loyal hard working member of your organization.....holy crap, how do they expect players to be loyal when raked over the coals like that....really defeats the purpose, huh?

@Chicago Hawkie  Unreal huh, at some point you have to realize the guy you are cutting up to pieces will eventually be expected to be a loyal hard working member of your organization.....holy crap, how do they expect players to be loyal when raked over the coals like that....really defeats the purpose, huh?

It's the stupid - yes, stupid - "hockey" mindset. There's "a way" of doing things and if you don't do it "the way" then you're wrong.

"The way" to do arbitration hearings is to completely demean your own asset - primarily as a way of trying to convince guys not to choose arbitration.

The, if they do exercise their rights, you need to ostracize them as being "bad in the room" and "not a team player" and send them away as soon as possible. The fact that the team spent the entire arbitration hearing telling the player he was worthless doesn't seem to enter into their collective consciousnesses.

The game would be better on the ice if they played by the rules that were written and would be better in the off-season if there weren't so many "unwritten" rules in "the code" about how teams are supposed to act, regardless of the actual, negotiated, written rules.

Milbury is the classic example - and a guy who (Finals appearance notwithstanding) has been abjectly horrible at just about everything he did while running a hockey organization and is abjectly horrible at his current role as well.

When he says "Nolan doesn't know much about hockey" he means Nolan doesn't accept "the way" that it is supposed to be done.

That said, I think Nolan is an idiot of he's going to sacrifice his career for LaFontaine (I can pretty much guarandamntee LaFontaine wouldn't be hanging himself on a cross for Nolan).

Different sport, but Detroit Tigers GM Dombrowski has never let a player go to arbitration in his 12 years as GM....nice track record and shows how nasty that part of the business is, and why he wants to avoid it all costs. It really is counter productive to belittle your star in an effort to save a few bucks, loyalty (both ways) is important.