Lavi and the "Little Flyers"

Guest The Quigster

Rupp=two goals! What a complete joke. The Flyers get pushed around again,by any team that that wants to push "em" around. For balls these guys get an "F". Sestito was a step in the right direction, but Lavi knows all.

Thats funny you say that.

I was walking back from the store thinking to myself how many of these smaller, swifter forwards we have. Seems when we dont have them, we get beat by them (sabres when briere was with them) and when we have them we get beat by bigger teams pushing us around.

So sick of having the games dictated to us.

At any rate, i dont think there was a goal today scored off of corner work for either team. Simmonds, briere, read worked 'hard' down low, but who cares...i dont even think they got a shot on net from all that cycling. If im the rags i let the flyers play behind the net.

Man, this team is so frustrating and its so obvious they are in no position to make noise in the playoffs against the rags or bruins. We are clearly outclassed on so many levels

Thats funny you say that.

I was walking back from the store thinking to myself how many of these smaller, swifter forwards we have. Seems when we dont have them, we get beat by them (sabres when briere was with them) and when we have them we get beat by bigger teams pushing us around.

So sick of having the games dictated to us.

At any rate, i dont think there was a goal today scored off of corner work for either team. Simmonds, briere, read worked 'hard' down low, but who cares...i dont even think they got a shot on net from all that cycling. If im the rags i let the flyers play behind the net.

Man, this team is so frustrating and its so obvious they are in no position to make noise in the playoffs against the rags or bruins. We are clearly outclassed on so many levels

I share your frustration.

Need big time, physical center that can cause havock from the circles in.

Need another 3-4 D-man with Colburn size.

Need to resolve the G issue.

I think the problem is the few big guys we have don't play very physical. JVR is built to be a bruiser but he plays like Jeff Carter. Simmonds has got the height and he tries to be physical at times but he's got no weight. Couterier is still a young pup but hopefully as he fills out a bit he will be a little more confident to bang. Voracek has decent size but he is more of playmaker/finesse player.

Schenn tries to play with some edge too. Basically, we need to let these guys develop...except JVR...threaten to trade him to Winterpeg. That should light a fire under his ass.

What about the reports that JVR needs surgery? Do you think his issue is physical (injury), mental or both?

Rupp=two goals! What a complete joke. The Flyers get pushed around again,by any team that that wants to push "em" around. For balls these guys get an "F". Sestito was a step in the right direction, but Lavi knows all.

First of all, we didn't get beat by size. I thought the Flyers outplayed the Rangers, they had the better goalie. I thought that was clearly the most obvious difference in the game. Giroux is small, but plays physical. JVR is big, and plays like a girl. Actually, I take that back, my niece plays a way more aggressive game than him.

@Hexy27

Surgery or not JvR hasn't played more than 2 shifts this entire season that is indicative of his new contract.

He was sat during the SC Finals, many times during the regular season over the past few years he's been a healthy scratch, decided to "develop" further in college, etc. Yet he plays with some fire last year in the Boston series and he gets this contract? I was hoping. No make that praying that he would live up to it, yet again here we sit puzzled with this guy.

I give up on him. If he is not hurt then play him or move him in hopes that he can be part of a package to get another solid defender. If he is hurt, shut him down till he is better. It's not like his lack of offensive prowess would mess with the chemistry or the points standings.

@Bertmega

I totally understand where everyone is coming from. I just don't know what is going on behind the scenes. We have seen two different JVRs. One that is pouty and doesn't work hard and another that plays like a beast. If it weren't for last year's post season I would be on board for giving up. I have read much about the speculation that JVR doesn't really like (i.e. have a passion for) playing hockey on a high level. I can't honestly believe that after last year.

Time will tell. I certainly understand his past (and do agree he has been given many chances). I just wonder if this season is more of the same or a result of his injury.

@Hexy27

The only reason, and I mean the only reason I have not come out with the the pitchfork and torch regarding JvR is because of the pain I felt in the 07' season. It really didn't help that a co-worker (at the time) is a Penguins fan and he would rub the salt in daily.

I expect great things from JvR and maybe he is pissed that he is pushed further down the depth chart in favor of Matt Read or Cooter, but he needs to dig deep and play with some passion. Obviously he is not injured enough if he is playing; then again maybe he is and he just wanted to help his team for the WC. Hockey is a mysterious sport.

Not that this has anything to do with JvR, but would it kill the NHL to make it more like the NFL where players are usually 22 coming into the league? I just feel some players are too immature to handle the bright lights.

Ah fak it! Trade everybody!

Edited by Bertmega

@Hexy27

I've been patient with JVR. I've watched a big fast skating kid with God-given talent cruise his way through college, cruise his way through a couple of years in the NHL and look like he's doing it yet again. The odd time he feels like it, he can be a game changer. He just rarely feels like it. I'd rather have a less talented player who goes hard every game. If he's hurt, fine. But to me it just looks like more of the same I've seen since his UNH days. Either you want to play in the NHL or you don't. Guys work their butts off just to be given a chance. he's born with size and talent, but seems to care a less.

@Hexy27

I've been patient with JVR....Either you want to play in the NHL or you don't. Guys work their butts off just to be given a chance. he's born with size and talent, but seems to care a less.

You can't say it better than that.

It's true, none of us know what's going on day-to-day with the team, or whether JVR is injured or what. But it's way past time he either "puts up or shuts up." 2 impressive weeks of hockey in 3 years ... boy was that stupid signing him to such a big raise - $4.25 till 2018.

I guess most NHL GMs sign guys to big contracts, hoping it "forces" him to live up to it, sort of the nature of the business. But with JVR it was really premature.

First of all, we didn't get beat by size. I thought the Flyers outplayed the Rangers, they had the better goalie. I thought that was clearly the most obvious difference in the game. Giroux is small, but plays physical. JVR is big, and plays like a girl. Actually, I take that back, my niece plays a way more aggressive game than him

I would have to disagree, to a point. I thought the Rangers clearly outplayed the Flyers in the 3rd period. Their forechecking was relentless and the Flyers spent large chunks of the 3rd period struggling to get the puck across the red line. You can't attribute that to goaltending. I think the Flyers are a more talented team but talent doesn't always win. The Rangers played smart and they played hard. I put the onus on Lavi now, he has to figure out how to beat that team.

I understand what everyone is saying about JVR. I don't disagree. I just don't know when you cut your losses with him. Do you let him get healthy and then re-evaluate? Do you trade him before the deadline? or do you trade him after the season?

I'd like to see him in one more post season but I can understand trading him or giving up on him sooner.

I just don't know what is going on behind the scenes. We have seen two different JVRs. One that is pouty and doesn't work hard and another that plays like a beast. If it weren't for last year's post season I would be on board for giving up. I have read much about the speculation that JVR doesn't really like (i.e. have a passion for) playing hockey on a high level. I can't honestly believe that after last year.

I still maintain he's under the assumption that you turn it on in the POs and that's all that really matters. He learned it from his previous captain. Even management backed it up. He didn't do anything all that special except for the POs and he gets a new deal because of it. I figure he probably feels as long as the Flyers are in a position to make the POs, go ahead and coast 'till you get to the POs and then turn it on.

How did this post become about JVR? But while we are slamming players for less that a stellar performance,how about Voracek ,Hartnell,Briere,Bryzo,Bobbo?! Who is in goal against the Hawks? Colton Orr is going on waivers,any takers? I am proud of Schenn scoring his first NHL goal.

I would have to disagree, to a point. I thought the Rangers clearly outplayed the Flyers in the 3rd period. Their forechecking was relentless and the Flyers spent large chunks of the 3rd period struggling to get the puck across the red line. You can't attribute that to goaltending. I think the Flyers are a more talented team but talent doesn't always win. The Rangers played smart and they played hard. I put the onus on Lavi now, he has to figure out how to beat that team.

Sure. And I thought Philly outplayed them the first two. Bob let in a bad goal, but made some good saves. Lundquist was easily the best player on either team. Swap goalies and who wins?

I still maintain he's under the assumption that you turn it on in the POs and that's all that really matters. He learned it from his previous captain. Even management backed it up. He didn't do anything all that special except for the POs and he gets a new deal because of it. I figure he probably feels as long as the Flyers are in a position to make the POs, go ahead and coast 'till you get to the POs and then turn it on.

If he does that this playoff, then I'll give him the same props I gave Briere after complaining about his first regular season. The thing with JVR is, we've seen a total of about ONE month of good hockey his entire career. As a 2nd overall, let's just say that's pretty ******* lame, to put it nicely. Gabriel Landeskog, the 2nd overall last June is ahead of JVR in scoring. He also plays a much better game than JVR already. Seguin, taken the year before 2nd overall, is already one of the best in the league. The big difference between those two and JVR? Passion.

Sure. And I thought Philly outplayed them the first two. Bob let in a bad goal, but made some good saves. Lundquist was easily the best player on either team. Swap goalies and who wins?

Flyers probably, but that's not going to happen. It's not like the Rangers win every game Lundqvist plays. If the Flyers played a better 3rd period, got some pressure on Lundqvist and take some pressure off Bob, then they probably also win. Since Lundqvist (or anyone like him) is not likely to become a Flyer anytime soon we can't keep saying that he's the difference and that our goalie(s) isn't good enough. The Flyers had a nice two goal lead (I know, I know, the most dangerous lead in hockey) but they let the Rangers dictate play and out-shoot them by a clear margin in the 3rd. I just can't put that loss on goaltending. I think they got out-played and out-coached when it mattered.

@JackStraw

Rupp scored two goals. In one game. Rupp scoring ONE goal is a fluke. But TWO in one game? He's NOT doing that on Lundquist or any goalie near his calibre.,

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Bob/Bryz are not in Lundqvist's class. I'm saying that the Flyers had that game in their hands, and let it slip away because they got outplayed in the 3rd. If you blow a two goal lead by letting the other team bottle you up in your own end for almost the entire 3rd period you can't blame the goalie for that. It certainly wasn't Bob's fault that (as Rad pointed out) Richards was left all alone right at the side of the net for the game winner.

he Flyers had that game in their hands, and let it slip away because they got outplayed in the 3rd.

This is true. I give the Rangers some credit for bottling up the neutral zone and making us look bad, but we could hardly pass a puck in the 3rd. Not just missing guys by a bit, we're talking 10 feet.

Rupp scored two goals. In one game. Rupp scoring ONE goal is a fluke. But TWO in one game? He's NOT doing that on Lundquist or any goalie near his calibre.,

Luckily, Rupp is signed for two more years with the Rags. No chance of Homer giving him a contract.

This is true. I give the Rangers some credit for bottling up the neutral zone and making us look bad, but we could hardly pass a puck in the 3rd. Not just missing guys by a bit, we're talking 10 feet.

Agreed. And honestly, I don't think Lavi did a good enough job at countering the Rangers forecheck and getting the puck up ice.