Oilers add Viktor Fasth

yave1964

The Oilers have acquired 31 year old Viktor Fasth from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for a fifth this year and a 3rd the next.

The Oilers begun this season with Devon Dubnyk and Jason Labarbara in net, also known as the arson squad for their ability to throw gasoline on the fire.

They have done a good job of repairing the clubs biggest weakness without parting with any of the young kids, Bryz came aboard as a stop gap measure and was adequate, but most important they took advantage of other clubs surpluses to fill the net with solid goalies in Ben scrivens who was expendable with Martin Jones establishing himself and now Fasth from the Ducks who are now down to about eight or nine goalies.

Hard to say out loud but good job by the Oilers braintrust for fixing a glaring hole for not a lot of cost. Good job.

I think this is real nice for the Oil....now....all they need to do is to grasp the concept of TEAM DEFENSE (and get players on the blue line who play accordingly), otherwise, it still won't matter WHO is in goal.

But, as was mentioned, goaltending was a glaring weak point of the Oilers and I'd take the combo of Fasth and Scrivens over Dubnyk/LaBarbara/Bryzgalov any day.... (oh woe is Minnesota...DO keep the starry eyed Russian as purely a back up.....Darcy Kuemper IS the guy in Minny!)

Back to Fasth, definitely an upgrade over the revolving door in goal Edmonton has had, BUUUUT, Fasth best be prepared to see lots, and I mean, LOTS of shots and good scoring chances for the other team headed his way!

As long as he doesn't suffer shock from seeing that on a nightly basis, he should be fine.

One thing he has going for him as far at that goes is, the Anaheim Ducks weren't always tight defensively themselves when Fasth played for them last season. 

Yes, the Ducks are much better in that area now, but last season, they could be seen giving up their fair share of scoring chances....chances that Fasth found himself having to help bail them out of.

Still though, the Ducks were able to mask much of that by being so good in other areas of their game....Viktor may find that is NOT the case in Edmonton (at least not for the rest of this season) and will be relied upon more than ever to constantly bail out his defensively aloof teammates.

At the end of the day though, for Oilers fans, they gotta be happy...they got a pretty good goalie in Fasth and now have nothing more to do with Bryz.

A little more change in philosophy (and possibly some more change in player personnel) to mold the team into one that resembles a bit more of an NHL defense, and whatever core of Edmonton forwards they deem to keep around should benefit greatly from that.

The Oilers begun this season with Devon Dubnyk and Jason Labarbara in net, also known as the arson squad for their ability to throw gasoline on the fire.

OMG....the friggin arson squad....this had me ROARING!!  That is great!!

• Like 1

Ya know, Fasth is 31, so he could turn into a bit of a stop gap, but should at least be reliable and respectable stop gap....I think. Fasth and Scrivins....that is pretty respectable, a definite upgrade for what has historically been a downer of a position for the Oilers. They may not have "the guy" but certainly better than what they did have!! One more reason to be positive....the arrival of Darnell Nurse next season. Even as a rook he could have a positive impact in their own end.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked Dubnyk, but he just didnt have the same confidence this year. Scrivens is a great addition, but I totally agree with the team defense comment. We've got skilled players up front, a couple decent goalies, but our D is total ****. 

@Robageddon  Welcome Rob!  You must have hated seeing the Flames rip you guys up on Saturday, huh?  That *has* to be the lowest this team can go....there is no other direction to go!  Losing 8-1 to the hated division and provincial rivals the Flames, the press in Edmonton is gonna blow a gasket, not to mention the fans and team management. This was just an unacceptable effort all the way around, you would think heads will roll after this debacle!

@yave1964  Awesome job by MacTavish, getting Bryz for free and being able to move him for a 3rd rounder at the deadline, very nice job there!  I don't recall hearing about Fasth playing, is  he hurt right now or something, or did I just miss the games he was playing?

@jammer2

Fasth won his first two starts and lost a game in the middle 2-1 to the Wings so he looked real good then last night the Calgary Flames of all teams chased him after beating him for five goals, just one of those nights. Overall 2-2 with a decent goals against even after that outing so not to shabby. Along with Scrivens at least it is a true NHL worthy combo something the Oilers have not been able to say it seems since the days of Fuhr and Moog (okay slight exaggeration but only slight, lol).

• 3 months later...

I think that Viktor will be a great addition to the Oilers

Welcome to the forum!! Fasth and Scrivens will make them a solid combo in net, sure a lot better than the dreadful due of Dubnyk and Labarbara.