Who can teach our D to play hard

Guest colorado_al

A few points to consider:

This is getting way too old... our forwards seem to be able to hit harder than our D. Is it just me or does our D just go into "stand around mode" and get pushed around a lot.

Why didn't 41 go down to try and block that shot or at least go out and challenge a 4th line forward.

Is it just me or is our D just too soft to win big games.

The way our D plays, we needed Rinaldo in there big time.

Harts played a great game... even if he can't skate, we need like him.

A few points to consider:

This is getting way too old... our forwards seem to be able to hit harder than our D. Is it just me or does our D just go into "stand around mode" and get pushed around a lot.

Why didn't 41 go down to try and block that shot or at least go out and challenge a 4th line forward.

Is it just me or is our D just too soft to win big games.

The way our D plays, we needed Rinaldo in there big time.

Harts played a great game... even if he can't skate, we need like him.

The transition D to O was challenging today, Rangers very good. Our D looses the puck in our own corers a lot. This is a size issue. Your right, our forward can control puck in the corners better.. Except for Colburn, and without Pronger, we really do not have size and we certainly don't have a physical, keep your head up crossing into the blueline defenseman. We have had out share of pylons. Everybody wants the Shea Webber type. It is time the Flyers started developing defensemen and goalies internally.

I don't think he should go down in that situation. If he does, Rupp can skate around him and be 1 on 1 with the goalie.

I think 1 on 1 would be better than blocking our goalie's view of the puck... we're talking 4th line here... Rupp doesn't have many great moves.

Hartnell did have a great game. Tons of hits.

Mesz should have blown Rupp up instead of backing off. Worst case, Mesz misses and Rupp goes in one on one with Bob, assuming Rupp is skilled enough to dodge Mesz AND keep the puck in possession moving towards the net.

Mezaros made the correct play for the situation. It doesn't matter if it was a 4th line player. That doesn't even factor into it. He made the right play.

With all due respect Alaska...mthat was not the correct play. He sagged back way too much and gave rupp the screened shot. Now, if it was gaborik, maybe he needs to do that to respect the deek. Not the case with rupp. As someone else said, he made the right play for the rangers.

With all due respect Alaska...mthat was not the correct play. He sagged back way too much and gave rupp the screened shot. Now, if it was gaborik, maybe he needs to do that to respect the deek. Not the case with rupp. As someone else said, he made the right play for the rangers.

It's a hockey play that happens on almost every rush in every game. It isn't Mez's responsibility to evaluate the skill level of the player that has the puck. He wasn't in a position to step up. There was too much gap for that. Nor should he go down to block the shot. He did what he is supposed to do...get between the puck carrier and his net. He tried to block the shot. Unfortunately, the by product of almost any blocked (or attempted blocked shot) shot is a screened goalie.

I'm saying Mez played it correctly and you're saying he didn't We're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

and that's kind of the thing: he made the right play, just against the wrong player.

I guess I could get on board with that. Mesz has been around long enough to play smarter, and should be able to identify his opponent in a split second. Hopefully he learns from this mistake, and improves as a defenseman going forward.

Hartnell did have a great game. Tons of hits.

Mesz should have blown Rupp up instead of backing off. Worst case, Mesz misses and Rupp goes in one on one with Bob, assuming Rupp is skilled enough to dodge Mesz AND keep the puck in possession moving towards the net.

Man, Harts is having a career year so far, really hopes he keeps it up through the POs.

I can see both sides of the Rupp goal so I'll leave that.

I will agree with the OP that it would've been nice to have a physical edge. Rindlo's energy would've been nice and it would've been nice to have Sestito banging bodies around today. Numbers wise it just doesn't work though, there wasn't anyone in the lineup I'd sit for either. If I had to pick someone I'd maybe have said Schenn since he hasn't yet gotten started but guess what....

*******************I agree defense men should challenge the the man with the puck. He left all the decision making up to Rupp. Rupp followed the rule if in doubt put the puck on net. Two 5 holes equals minus 10.