Mason starting to scare me

King Knut

Not just the goals. But there is that too.

It's the post game. He seems to consistently blame things on the team. "We stopped moving our feet and started playing a different game".

I feel like that's okay for a skater to say to excuse a goalie and a goalie is a different breed than a player because there are 20 skaters and one goalie responsible for things.

But still... I hope the honesty doesn't rub anyone the wrong way because in all honesty mason loses his focus in those games as much as the skaters do sometimes and you'll probably not hear anyone blame losing a lead on Mason and sometimes (like the caps game last night) Mason and the team do it together.

@King Knut

I can't argue with him....the team played great and then totally lost focus. Mason had 8 shots on him in the first 2 periods, and then the Caps were all over them in the 3rd. He's kept this team in the playoff hunt this year. As long as he doesn't make a habit of it...it sounds more like telling it like it is than throwing your team under the bus. If he starts doing it all the time theres a problem.

@King Knut

I can't argue with him....the team played great and then totally lost focus. Mason had 8 shots on him in the first 2 periods, and then the Caps were all over them in the 3rd. He's kept this team in the playoff hunt this year. As long as he doesn't make a habit of it...it sounds more like telling it like it is than throwing your team under the bus. If he starts doing it all the time theres a problem.

Yeah, I don't have a problem when it's true.   And his analysis was absolutely accurate.  It's not like he was standing there saying, "well, they were blocking too many shots.  I just had to duck."

To be honest, I wasn't watching closely enough (I'm getting a really bad habit of fiddling with my phone while watching).  But I didn't see a goal that I would say, "God, that was on you, Steve!"

All that said, @King Knut 's concern is quite valid if it becomes a habit--on two levels.  First, the habit would indicate that the Flyers would have continued to show that propensity. That's a problem in itself.   But secondly, if he were to begin doing that after a majority of games, it could begin to breed some resentment among the other players ("well, you know, you could stop the damn puck!").

I'm okay with this for now.  I think I remember him saying similar after other games.  He seems to be interviewed a little more than the average goalie and is also a bit more articulate than those goalies as well.  It's fine if it's on occasion, but like you and king said:  not all the time.

@ruxpin

I've noticed that they have interviewing him more as well (at least more than most goalies) and he is a good interview. 

I think the team knows that they almost blew that one and he is pointing out the obvious.  I don't see it ever becoming a problem though, I don't think that Mase is made that way (unlike some other goalies we've had in the past).

@ruxpin

As for the goals...the guy had to be stone cold going into the 3rd. And like you mentioned, they weren't bad goals. The team just stopped playing.

Yeah, I mean that's the shame of this particular game.  They were running over the Caps for the first two periods.  I wondered at the time if maybe the Caps' goalie change did make a difference for Washington.  But while the Caps did play a bit better, it did seem like the Flyers went into their period-a-game coma.

I've been all over the way this team is constructed, and I do think they still have fairly obvious flaws.  But what is disheartening is that when they actually skate and play focused they do seem to be able to play with just about anyone, and even run over some teams.  And then they do their period or two a game where they just go for a Sunday free skate.   If they could just stay focused, even this group could be very good.

In other news, they are 8-2 in their last 10.  Some of that is smoke and mirrors but they're getting the job done.  Imagine if they'd come out of the gate better.  The Pens might have some sense of urgency.

It's the post game. He seems to consistently blame things on the team. "We stopped moving our feet and started playing a different game".

I feel like that's okay for a skater to say to excuse a goalie and a goalie is a different breed than a player because there are 20 skaters and one goalie responsible for things.

But still... I hope the honesty doesn't rub anyone the wrong way because in all honesty mason loses his focus in those games as much as the skaters do sometimes and you'll probably not hear anyone blame losing a lead on Mason and sometimes (like the caps game last night) Mason and the team do it together.

If team defense wasn't an issue and he still blaming others, I'd be worried. But since team D is such an obvious issue, I think he's right. The team played poorly in that third period last night.

He was pointing out the obvious and maybe the only ones that take offense is the ones who let up. Besides if they stop taking dumb penalties then they don't give up 3 PP goals...

If team defense wasn't an issue and he still blaming others, I'd be worried. But since team D is such an obvious issue, I think he's right. The team played poorly in that third period last night.

That and taking stupid penalties against the 2nd ranked PP in the league. Sooner or later, it's gonna bite you. 

I want to like Mason. As a person, he's way more interesting and grounded than Bryz ever was. As a goalie, he's woefully inconsistent. But I think that he's good enough to win with. When he gets hot, he can carry this team. He just needs to get hot right around mid-April.

• Like 1

Mason's 3.78/.867 since the break.

He's 3-1, which is great, but that's not the stretch run we need to see.

Aside from the start of February he's been pretty mediocre since November (2.92/.899 December, 3.28/.889 January)

7-1-2 in December - which is great - but 4-5-1 in January. When you're allowing 3 a game and have a sub-.900 SV% that's not a recipe for success.

No real "easy" games left - aside from maybe Buffalo and Florida. But that's 2 of 19 games to the end.

I've been all over the way this team is constructed, and I do think they still have fairly obvious flaws.  But what is disheartening is that when they actually skate and play focused they do seem to be able to play with just about anyone, and even run over some teams.  And then they do their period or two a game where they just go for a Sunday free skate.   If they could just stay focused, even this group could be very good.

I wouldn't say they went for a free skate. But I think the biggest flaw with this team is that they can't shutdown an opponent when they've got a lead. Giroux and co did their job and then some. G came out on fire and led by example, almost saying "alright boys, I've basically given us a 3 goal cushion. Time for the rest of you to shut them down." I realize it's not exactly like that, but we just don't have the strong defensive game required to stifle the other team and frustrate their offense (see Devils, New Jersey).

• Like 1

That and taking stupid penalties against the 2nd ranked PP in the league. Sooner or later, it's gonna bite you. 

I want to like Mason. As a person, he's way more interesting and grounded than Bryz ever was. As a goalie, he's woefully inconsistent. But I think that he's good enough to win with. When he gets hot, he can carry this team. He just needs to get hot right around mid-April.

Yeah, the penalties are definitely a problem. I cannot wait until Downie is gone. I know he's not the only one, I just want nothing to do with him. 

He's definitely cooled off compared to his absolute peak, but I have a hard time figuring out just how inconsistent he is with the D and all. It's hard to figure out how much of it is him when team D really needs a lot of improvement.

I cannot wait until Downie is gone. I know he's not the only one, I just want nothing to do with him. 

Same here. He was good when we first got him, but he's slipped back into his old habits. I'd rather have a guy like McGinn fill that role for cheaper.

I have no issue w/ Mason honestly.    The 1st two periods were tilted and then the defense and offense played lazy and uninspiting hockey.  the defense was not jumping up on the transtion/breakout and the offensive forecheck was bad.   He called it exactly how it was...  Giroux was saying the same thing after the game in his PG interview.

Same here. He was good when we first got him, but he's slipped back into his old habits. I'd rather have a guy like McGinn fill that role for cheaper.

So would I, but apparently he's the worst human being on the planet. He's 3rd on the Phantoms in points and that impresses me considering the organization has dicked around with him so much this last year or so. He's not a center either and that's always a bonus with this team.

This is a good thread. I will add the following. I am wondering if our inconsistency reflects the way the team was put together? We build via trade/free agency. This is not a team with a "stamp" that comes from growing together. I hope that changes under Berube.  

Peace,

Howie

This is a good thread. I will add the following. I am wondering if our inconsistency reflects the way the team was put together? We build via trade/free agency. This is not a team with a "stamp" that comes from growing together. I hope that changes under Berube.

Agreed Howard,

I haven't watched very closely this year, more lately, but here is my 2 cents on the whole "stamp" thing:

What I see lately is a team where the guys are starting to look like they want to play for each other.

You certainly see it with Simmonds taking on two guys at once and helping Vinnie out.That stuff is important and goes noticed in the room. But you have to see it all over the ice, all the time, every game. And I don't see that with the Flyers. Yet. Dare to dream I guess.

I think I'm seeing it in Winnipeg right now under Maurice. He gave them structure or whatever, yeah, but what is noticeable is the commitment to playing it. Ultimately, that means commitment to each other and to the collective "project."

That's when character starts to matter a whole bunch and you can throw all the x's and o's out the window along with all the "systems" talk. IMHO what Berube represents is the opportunity for an otherwise disparate group of players to get there, because they are playing for a player, a tough one, who obviously stayed in the league all those years by hard work and commitment. You know it when you see it, but I think it also shows up in stats, as proxies, in things like blocked shots. One of the things about blocked shots is that they are a very noticeable thing. They are pretty tangible evidence of a player's commitment to the project. Because it damn well hurts!

Anyway, you know it when you see it, this thing.

To bring it back to Mason and the OP, personally, I'm not worried about him. In fact, I think Steve Mason is plenty committed - and plenty motivated - to be a rock back there if you could put that kind of team in front of him.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

This may be an odd question/statement but leaders call out the team when they fail?  So, maybe Mason is picking up some leadership duties. So long as he isn't naming individual players in public and also takes responsibily when he fails I'm OK with it. Besides, we/they won the game...

Let me put it this way, I feel like as a skater, when your goalie gives up a back breaking softee, youblinabout it after the game. Or you obfuscate so you don't trash him.

Mason's not been returning the courtesy. He tends to say the same things the skaters say which you can tell is coming more or less from chief's mouth.

I don't think he realizes he's doing it, but sometimes it comes off as "hell I did everything right, don't look at me."

They all see pretty right though and I'm sure no kne cares at this point.

Hell, I'm sure the team would agree with me when i say that as long as they keep winning he can blame anyone he wants to for why it got close.

But I've lived through far too many cemanek and bryzgalov freak outs to not be a little nervous about a goalie even vaguely pointing fingers.

So forgive my paranoia -Ha ha.

Yeah, I don't have a problem when it's true. And his analysis was absolutely accurate. It's not like he was standing there saying, "well, they were blocking too many shots. I just had to duck."

To be honest, I wasn't watching closely enough (I'm getting a really bad habit of fiddling with my phone while watching). But I didn't see a goal that I would say, "God, that was on you, Steve!"

All that said, @King Knut 's concern is quite valid if it becomes a habit--on two levels. First, the habit would indicate that the Flyers would have continued to show that propensity. That's a problem in itself. But secondly, if he were to begin doing that after a majority of games, it could begin to breed some resentment among the other players ("well, you know, you could stop the damn puck!").

I'm okay with this for now. I think I remember him saying similar after other games. He seems to be interviewed a little more than the average goalie and is also a bit more articulate than those goalies as well. It's fine if it's on occasion, but like you and king said: not all the time.

Dead on call about the lack of a shut down.

The devils are so enraging but I envy their ability to make a one goal lead nearly impenetrable.

Well in days gone by anyway.

Anyone else notice that Giroux played like five minutes less than normal last night?

He played a boat load in Sunday. I'm assuming chief decided to rest him after the 3 goal lead.

A lack of G and a lack of VLC some dumb penalties and in some ways it's less of a wonder the caps were able to come back.

I wouldn't say they went for a free skate. But I think the biggest flaw with this team is that they can't shutdown an opponent when they've got a lead. Giroux and co did their job and then some. G came out on fire and led by example, almost saying "alright boys, I've basically given us a 3 goal cushion. Time for the rest of you to shut them down." I realize it's not exactly like that, but we just don't have the strong defensive game required to stifle the other team and frustrate their offense (see Devils, New Jersey).
Edited by King Knut

Agreed Howard,

I haven't watched very closely this year, more lately, but here is my 2 cents on the whole "stamp" thing:

What I see lately is a team where the guys are starting to look like they want to play for each other.

You certainly see it with Simmonds taking on two guys at once and helping Vinnie out.That stuff is important and goes noticed in the room. But you have to see it all over the ice, all the time, every game. And I don't see that with the Flyers. Yet. Dare to dream I guess.

I think I'm seeing it in Winnipeg right now under Maurice. He gave them structure or whatever, yeah, but what is noticeable is the commitment to playing it. Ultimately, that means commitment to each other and to the collective "project."

That's when character starts to matter a whole bunch and you can throw all the x's and o's out the window along with all the "systems" talk. IMHO what Berube represents is the opportunity for an otherwise disparate group of players to get there, because they are playing for a player, a tough one, who obviously stayed in the league all those years by hard work and commitment. You know it when you see it, but I think it also shows up in stats, as proxies, in things like blocked shots. One of the things about blocked shots is that they are a very noticeable thing. They are pretty tangible evidence of a player's commitment to the project. Because it damn well hurts!

To bring it back to Mason and the OP, personally, I'm not worried about him. In fact, I think Steve Mason is plenty committed - and plenty motivated - to be a rock back there if you could put that kind of team in front of him.

hmmm, keeping all that knowledge to yourself, huh....ya bastard!!

Let me put it this way, I feel like as a skater, when your goalie gives up a back breaking softee, youblinabout it after the game. Or you obfuscate so you don't trash him.

Mason's not been returning the courtesy. He tends to say the same things the skaters say which you can tell is coming more or less from chief's mouth.

I don't think he realizes he's doing it, but sometimes it comes off as "hell I did everything right, don't look at me."

They all see pretty right though and I'm sure no kne cares at this point.

Hell, I'm sure the team would agree with me when i say that as long as they keep winning he can blame anyone he wants to for why it got close.

But I've lived through far too many cemanek and bryzgalov freak outs to not be a little nervous about a goalie even vaguely pointing fingers.

So forgive my paranoia -Ha ha.

I get that.

Although when a skater says a goalie gave up a bone head goal, there's only one guy he could mean. A goalie saying the team stopped skating isn't likewise singling someone out.

Now, if he had said "Downie is a brain dead player" I would agree but it probably would be a bad thing to say.

I get the Chekmanek fear though

Agreed Howard,

Long time no hear...glad you posted. I hope you are right about Berube. It would be good to see this team grow.  As a long-time fan it might be nice to see us back in the elite. Heck, I might even live to see another Cup....

Peace,

Howard??