Mason starting to scare me

King Knut

@Podein25

I was going to ask about winter in the 'Peg, it's been brutal here. Two Marches ago our temps were in the 20s C and the grass was growing. This year it's -20C and I'm looking at almost 2 metres of snow.

We postponed our trip, My wifes mother has fallen ill so we're taking a wait and see approach. Figures, first time in about 20 years I haven't gone south and it's the worst winter I can remember. Hoping to go back to Colombia next month...maybe.

@Podein25  Is that 14 year olds?  If so, that's when the true stars really start to break away from the pack...must be some fast hockey, I've seen a few midgit tourny's with 10-12 year olds, was great hockey.

@jammer2,

Here are the age groups for youth / minor hockey for both Hockey Canada and USA Hockey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_ice_hockey

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0042/5393/13-14_Age_Classifications_Chart_youth_and_girls.pdf.pdf

Dont want to sound like an a-hole but isnt it typical flyers to add a golie who is awesome one season and then choke. Not saying that Mason will be bad but I dont have confidence in him. I hadnt when we added him and I dont have it now looking in long term. Still want this organisation to focus on finding a young good talented golie and stick with him!!!

Dont want to sound like an a-hole but isnt it typical flyers to add a golie who is awesome one season and then choke. Not saying that Mason will be bad but I dont have confidence in him. I hadnt when we added him and I dont have it now looking in long term. Still want this organisation to focus on finding a young good talented golie and stick with him!!!

You're right. Statistically, Mason is not awesome. He's mediocre. 

He's 23rd in the league in GAA, and 21st in save %. Bottom third of the NHL. 

How much of it is Mason and how much is a reflection of the Flyers' deficiencies?

The good news is that he's having his best season statistically since he won the Calder as a rookie. So he's got the chops. He's found his game again after languishing in hockey purgatory Columbus. With a better defensive corps and a focus on defense (which I think Berube already does much better than Laviolette), Mason could easily have a .920+ save % which would put him in the top 10 of the league.

With a better defensive corps and a focus on defense (which I think Berube already does much better than Laviolette), Mason could easily have a .920+ save % which would put him in the top 10 of the league.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that...

I wouldn't hold your breath on that...

Holding my breath or not, I firmly believe that Mason in a St. Louis Blues or LA Kings system could quite easily increase his save % by .005.

In real terms, that translates to Mason allowing 1 less goal every 9 games. Or, in even more 'real terms', it means Mason playing in a system that prevents 1 extra goal every 9 games. 

But since we're in Philly, it will take a blueline overhaul.

Holding my breath or not, I firmly believe that Mason in a St. Louis Blues or LA Kings system could quite easily increase his save % by .005.

In real terms, that translates to Mason allowing 1 less goal every 9 games. Or, in even more 'real terms', it means Mason playing in a system that prevents 1 extra goal every 9 games.

But since we're in Philly, it will take a blueline overhaul.

I wouldn't argue in a good defensive system his numbers would improve. But I thought you meant in Philly? ;)

I wouldn't argue in a good defensive system his numbers would improve. But I thought you meant in Philly? ;)

Heh. Well, the first 5 minutes of the Flyers/Leafs game show you there's a looooooooooong way to go with Mason.

He's completely off tonight. Two goals on 4 shots, mishandling the puck, not tracking it well. 

Heh. Well, the first 5 minutes of the Flyers/Leafs game show you there's a looooooooooong way to go with Mason.

He's completely off tonight. Two goals on 4 shots, mishandling the puck, not tracking it well. 

To be fair the the whole team looks off. Sloppy no where close to the team we saw the first 40 minutes verse the Caps the other night. Wonder what gives...

To be fair the the whole team looks off. Sloppy no where close to the team we saw the first 40 minutes verse the Caps the other night. Wonder what gives...

And really, Rinaldo blew it on that first goal. He was trying to block and faintly whipped his stick at the Leaf player, and by the the second pump, he should have gone after the puck. Could have played it better.

And really, Rinaldo blew it on that first goal. He was trying to block and faintly whipped his stick at the Leaf player, and by the the second pump, he should have gone after the puck. Could have played it better.

They are lucky they got a point, not a good game all around.

Kimmo almost had a hat trick...Mason was not sharp.

Blueline providing the scoring is nice but forwards need to chip in more, take better quality shots sometimes.

Macdonald i thought had another good game. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor  The MacDaddy SMOKED Lupul in the 3rd!!  What a beauty of a hit, very NICE!! I noticed a few time, he went to the corner to retrieve the puck, and just calmly skated the puck out of trouble, like it was nothing...nice to see skills like that, like it was natural and he didn't have to think about it. This guy is a keeper, worth every bit of 5 mill from what I can see. Makes us faster, smarter and more physical. Great Trade by Homer, I'd give up a few mid range draft picks for this guy any day!!  We gotta sign this guy!

@OccamsRazor  The MacDaddy SMOKED Lupul in the 3rd!!  What a beauty of a hit, very NICE!! I noticed a few time, he went to the corner to retrieve the puck, and just calmly skated the puck out of trouble, like it was nothing...nice to see skills like that, like it was natural and he didn't have to think about it. This guy is a keeper, worth every bit of 5 mill from what I can see. Makes us faster, smarter and more physical. Great Trade by Homer, I'd give up a few mid range draft picks for this guy any day!!  We gotta sign this guy!

Yeah i wish i could say hey you're rushing it but kid has been a calming force back there the most underrated part of his game i think maybe his crisp tape to tape passes. Man he is on point with his aim, damn impressed....Homer will have to sign him he is a keeper from what i've seen so far. He to me is already the top #3 Dman after Kimmo #1 (hell of a game last night he almost had a hat trick) #2 Coburn, # 3 Amac ,#4 Schenn ,#5 Streit, #6 Gus, #7 Gross.

And in all honesty just speaking for myself i've even liked his game better than Coburn. 

You're right. Statistically, Mason is not awesome. He's mediocre. 

He's 23rd in the league in GAA, and 21st in save %. Bottom third of the NHL. 

How much of it is Mason and how much is a reflection of the Flyers' deficiencies?

The good news is that he's having his best season statistically since he won the Calder as a rookie. So he's got the chops. He's found his game again after languishing in hockey purgatory Columbus. With a better defensive corps and a focus on defense (which I think Berube already does much better than Laviolette), Mason could easily have a .920+ save % which would put him in the top 10 of the league.

I just hope, but I doubt it, that Mason can be our guy the next 5 years. Im just sick of the "new-golie-every-year-or-two-year"