The underwhelming Avalanche

bunnyman

Patrick Roy just can't solve the Blues. Yes, he is a goofy hot head who WAS a great goalie, but he is CRAP as coach.

Seriously??  A rookie coach has his team 41-18-5 is "crap"....nobody even thought they would be a playoff team, and now they are one of the leagues better teams....just *how* is that deemed crap??  Looks like he has had a nice effect on Varlamov also, who has put up MUCH better numbers under Patrick than any other coach.

• Like 1

Seriously??  A rookie coach has his team 41-18-5 is "crap"....nobody even thought they would be a playoff team, and now they are one of the leagues better teams....just *how* is that deemed crap??  Looks like he has had a nice effect on Varlamov also, who has put up MUCH better numbers under Patrick than any other coach.

This.

Granted....the Avs jump from 'last to near the top' won't come without some growing pains or a price to pay...probably in the playoffs....but from where I sit, the Avs are DEFINITELY going in the right direction.

Much of it may have to do with Roy as head coach, but much of it was already there.

Even last season when I watched Avs games, despite their final standings, there just seemed to be something special brewing there.

Many even thought a guy like Semyon Varlamov would be replaced under Coach Roy, which I always thought was ridiculous.

Varlamov may not be the next coming of St. Patrick himself, but then, who the hell is??

Roy is a smart enough man to know talent when he sees it and it weren't for Varlamov last season, the Avs record would have looked even WORSE.

But anyways...Avs will be fine.

They will make the playoffs this year with their most likely 1st round opponent being either the Blackhawks or Blues.....and they will be underdogs facing either.

But even if they lose, which I suspect may be the case given those two opponents, let's not forget they are a very young team and will have gained much even in a playoff series loss.

A guy like Patrick Roy will be sure to use a situation like that to pump his guys up......give them a sense of "You don't want that feeling of losing like that in the playoffs...get'm next year"...that type of thing...and the team can only get even better from there.

And if they win a series against a St. Louis or Chicago? Hey...talk about an early confidence booster for the team....its a no-lose situation for the Avs and their fans IMO.

As for not being able to 'solve the Blues'...hey, the Blues are a very good, legit Stanley Cup contender...they have been for the last three seasons or so. No shame at this point in time for a young Avs team to not being able to 'solve' them. Not many teams in the NHL have been able to do it consistently either.

The Blues themselves have their own humps to get over...recently it's been the LA Kings.

Roy crap as coach? Underwhelming? Not even close.

Only time can tell that...but for the here, now, and forseeable future, he is VERY good for the organization, the PR department, but most importantly, seems to be very good for his young team.

Anyone who can't see that just doesn't watch hockey with enough of a knowledgeable eye for detail.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

@bunnyman  Where does the dislike of the Ave's come from, is there a rivalry between the Blues and Ave's I've missed?  There could be one without my knowledge, don't really remember any playoff match ups between the two though.

Just plain HATE the Avs...

Yep...I get all that, @jammer2;)

As for @bunnyman , hey, I get the smack talk too...but um...I thought iffin yer gonna smack talk, you would expect to get something back that debunks said smack talk....

Just sayin... :P

I'm wishing for the Blues to do something other than CHOKE...

I'm wishing for the Blues to do something other than CHOKE...

It's gotta be tough being a die hard fan and never see your team win. Gotta be real tough. At least they are headed in the right direction.

@bunnyman  Right now, the biggest problem is all the long time Blues, like Backes, Oshie, Steen etc....they all have played 19 playoff games. Not exactly rookies, but not exactly long runs either. Usually teams have to get to the conference final first, before they can win the cup at a later date, learn how to win playoff series and how to react when everything is on the line. There are exceptions, but it's rare a relatively inexperienced playoff team can just climb the ladder without falling off. At least Miller has been in deep playoff runs, that will help immensely, I'm sure that was part of the Blues management line of thinking when paying the price they did to get Miller in a Blues uniform.

@bunnyman  Right now, the biggest problem is all the long time Blues, like Backes, Oshie, Steen etc....they all have played 19 playoff games. Not exactly rookies, but not exactly long runs either. Usually teams have to get to the conference final first, before they can win the cup at a later date, learn how to win playoff series and how to react when everything is on the line. There are exceptions, but it's rare a relatively inexperienced playoff team can just climb the ladder without falling off. At least Miller has been in deep playoff runs, that will help immensely, I'm sure that was part of the Blues management line of thinking when paying the price they did to get Miller in a Blues uniform.

The Blues needed a game breaker, IMO.