Flyers prospect Stolarz starts young, "Hextall"s HoSang

Polaris922

I don't condone the play, but 8 games is a bit ridiculous. To me it looked innocuous, but I also get why the league has to nip it in the bud (zero tolerance for head shots). But 8 games???? How many games were the refs suspended for only giving a 2 minute minor?

Those goalie sticks are like 2x4's though bud. I'd imagine somebody hits you from behind on the dome when you aren't expecting anything it doesn't feel too good. Lol

I'd imagine somebody hits you from behind on the dome when you aren't expecting anything it doesn't feel too good. Lol

I know. And it was a bad play and should not be tolerated. 8 games seems very excessive to me. Also, he did look like he was shot, while the swing look like someone trying to swat a mosquito. I agree with the suspension. Particularly because it was at the Junior level and you don't want to develop players into thinking that kind of play is "ok". 

I know. And it was a bad play and should not be tolerated. 8 games seems very excessive to me. Also, he did look like he was shot, while the swing look like someone trying to swat a mosquito. I agree with the suspension. Particularly because it was at the Junior level and you don't want to develop players into thinking that kind of play is "ok".

Wonder if that will follow him in his career like everyone says Rinaldo's AHL suspensions follow him?

Anthony Stolarz suspended 8 games for slashing per OHL.

Wow, I'm shocked. Not that he got 8 games for that slash, but that he got 8 games as a London Knight.

Anyone who thinks that's a long suspension Barrie captain Ryan Oconnor got 10 for this hit last postseason...first offence.

http://youtu.be/UdD6UaIPeKg

Nah he's more an elbows and knees guy. Brown was more stick work wasn't he?

Brown was one of the toughest fighters to ever play. Sandstrum was a gutless stick man who would never answer the bell. Back then there was a lot of people who felt the same about the Brown crosscheck as the Domi mugging of another cheapshot artist by the name of Samuelsson. You may have heard of him.

Brown was one of the toughest fighters to ever play. Sandstrum was a gutless stick man who would never answer the bell. Back then there was a lot of people who felt the same about the Brown crosscheck as the Domi mugging of another cheapshot artist by the name of Samuelsson. You may have heard of him.

You get so defensive! I was just teasing Murray for using Brown as a comparison. Brown is on a few dirtiest of all time polls, much like Samuelsson, UNLIKE Sandstrom.

@Polaris922

I just remember Sandstrum sticking guys then running away and hiding behind his teammates. He speared Mark Howe, one of the squeakiest clean players of alltime, right in the yarbols. Doug Gilmour broke his wrist with a slash cause he was sick of receiving them on the wrist. Cherry used to show replays of Sandstrums stickwork.

@Polaris922

I just remember Sandstrum sticking guys then running away and hiding behind his teammates. He speared Mark Howe, one of the squeakiest clean players of alltime, right in the yarbols. Doug Gilmour broke his wrist with a slash cause he was sick of receiving them on the wrist. Cherry used to show replays of Sandstrums stickwork.

I don't argue Sandstrom's carvings, but Brown was far dirtier. The comparison Murray made was entertaining.

@Polaris922

Well then we'll just disagree. Brown got most of his pims fighting. My guess is Sandstrum got most of his for slashes, spears, crosschecks, hairpulling and kicking with his stillettos.

Premier enforcer/goon no doubt about it I agree. Just crossed the line enough to earn the dirty tag as well. Not taking anything away from his enforcer role.

Wow, I'm shocked. Not that he got 8 games for that slash, but that he got 8 games as a London Knight.

Anyone who thinks that's a long suspension Barrie captain Ryan Oconnor got 10 for this hit last postseason...first offence.

http://youtu.be/UdD6UaIPeKg

@ FC

Branch has always been an idiot when it comes to suspensions in the OHL. I went to the Colts/Wolves game tonight, the Wolves prevailed 2-1, the refs were the show in the first period giving penalties like they were candy to both sides. The Colts got a scare in the second period when Ekblad went knee on knee with a Wolves player and went to the dressing room but he came back with 3 minutes to go in the second. Should be an interesting game tomorrow night in Barrie. Man, Claude Lemieux's son plays the same type of game his dad played, he was a royal pain in the ass tonight. Are you going to the game tomorrow night.

As for Stolarz, I think what he did was stupid but Ho-Sang did a great job of selling the slash because if Stolarz had hit him really hard they would have been taking him out on a stretcher. He better hope his London teammates come through or else Mini Hextall will have to stand his head during the Memorial Cup

@Lindbergh31

The refereeing has been horrible the entire series. Not in anyones favour, just all around "look at me, I'm the series" lousy officiating. I'm still debating on watching Philly/Toronto or Barrie/Sudbury. I'll likely decide later this afternoon over a beer. Brendan Lemieux is defeinately a chip off the ol' block. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a late first rounder this year. Good player and not the type of guy you want to play against.

I have no idea what Stolarz was thinking. Chop him in the back of the legs if you feel wronged. You don't hit the guy in the head with a freakin' goalie stick.

@flyercanuck

I don't expect the Wolves to come back against the Colts, they're too good of a team and the Wolves aren't. The goalie for the Colts, Blackwood, how old is this kid because he's going to be good, very positional sound and doesn't seem to get rattled. I would go to the Colts/Wolves game because if the score gets lopsided in favour of the Colts I could see some good scraps because players want to settle old scores.

@Lindbergh31

Blackwood is 16. Everyone thought the last European goalie to be drafted to the CHL (Gibl) would be the starter this year, but that kid stole the job right off the bat. He kind of hit a wall about halfway through the season (as expected for a 16 year old) but it looks like we may be set in goal for the next 3 years.

We'll probably flip a coin over a Guinness today at Donaleighs.

lol, he's going to be good(wow 16 years old, maybe Hextall and the boys should keep an eye on this boy). If you go to the game let me know your thoughts on the outcome, I'm sure Barrie doesn't want to go back to Sudbury for game 6 they want to end it tonight.