Are the Lightning cup contenders?

yave1964

The Lightning have peaked at absolutely the right time, having won seven of their last nine games, with the two losses in shootouts, getting 16 of a possible 18 points as they close in on the 3 seed in the East.

Are they cup contenders?

Steven Stamkos is back and has been a beast, he now has 23 goals in 29 games played. Val Filpulla has justified the faith that Yzerman put in him with a recent ten game point streak and carrying the offense on his back for large stretches while Stamkos was out.

enough cannot be said about the maturation of Victor Hedman this season, 47 points finally playing up to potential. Matt Carle has 28 points and has been a quiet under the radar signing. Radko Gudas adds nastiness to the back end and unlike so many bruisers he can flat out play.But after him the defense is dangerously thin.

Ben Bishop has had a breakthrough season, setting a Lightning club record for wins and almost all other single season goalie stats, he has earned consideration for the Vezina.

Kids everywhere in the top three lines, Tyler Johnson has had a great season, Ondrej Palat has at least made people consider voting for someone other than MacKinnon for the Calder, Alex Killorn has been rock solid and under the radar. Losing Martin St. Louis hurt but there are few better at playing the 200 foot game than Callahan, which is what wins in the post season.

So where are they? Unless something world shaking occurs they are set to draw the Canadiens in the first round, an interesting matchup.

I think the Habs are a regular season club same as last year. Gallagher plays with heart and fire, too many of his teammates are skilled little guys who in a tight checking series might be in trouble. I think the Lightning match up very well with them, it will likely come down to goaltending, Carey Price versus Ben Bishop. It should be a wonderful matchup, and in my opinion the Lightning should have enough to win in six.

So the second round, in all likelihood against the Penguins. That is where the fun begins. Are the Bolts for real or are they simply heat lightning in the night sky? (Okay that was lame but you get my point.).

The Lightning have peaked at absolutely the right time, having won seven of their last nine games, with the two losses in shootouts, getting 16 of a possible 18 points as they close in on the 3 seed in the East.

Are they cup contenders?

Steven Stamkos is back and has been a beast, he now has 23 goals in 29 games played. Val Filpulla has justified the faith that Yzerman put in him with a recent ten game point streak and carrying the offense on his back for large stretches while Stamkos was out.

enough cannot be said about the maturation of Victor Hedman this season, 47 points finally playing up to potential. Matt Carle has 28 points and has been a quiet under the radar signing. Radko Gudas adds nastiness to the back end and unlike so many bruisers he can flat out play.But after him the defense is dangerously thin.

Ben Bishop has had a breakthrough season, setting a Lightning club record for wins and almost all other single season goalie stats, he has earned consideration for the Vezina.

Kids everywhere in the top three lines, Tyler Johnson has had a great season, Ondrej Palat has at least made people consider voting for someone other than MacKinnon for the Calder, Alex Killorn has been rock solid and under the radar. Losing Martin St. Louis hurt but there are few better at playing the 200 foot game than Callahan, which is what wins in the post season.

So where are they? Unless something world shaking occurs they are set to draw the Canadiens in the first round, an interesting matchup.

I think the Habs are a regular season club same as last year. Gallagher plays with heart and fire, too many of his teammates are skilled little guys who in a tight checking series might be in trouble. I think the Lightning match up very well with them, it will likely come down to goaltending, Carey Price versus Ben Bishop. It should be a wonderful matchup, and in my opinion the Lightning should have enough to win in six.

So the second round, in all likelihood against the Penguins. That is where the fun begins. Are the Bolts for real or are they simply heat lightning in the night sky? (Okay that was lame but you get my point.).

Sure, why not? They won the cup as the 8th conference seed the first go around. 

I am a firm believer that everything is possible in the playoffs. While generally the cream rises to the top, I also think that match-ups / style of play and hot hands have an equal merit to potential cup winner. Look at LA as another example of that. 

The other thing is the playoffs become a war of attrition (particularly in the east). Your depth and ability to replace key / essential personal becomes a true story line. 

When did Tampa Bay win the Cup as the 8th seed????

They've won ONE cup and they did it as the TOP seed, beating the Flyers in the semis.   No 8th seed EVER won the Cup until the 2012 LA Kings, and they remain the only ones.

That aside, no, the Tampa Bay Lightning are pretenders, not contenders.  They will beat the Canadiens in the first round and then lose the second round.

When did Tampa Bay win the Cup as the 8th seed????

They've won ONE cup and they did it as the TOP seed, beating the Flyers in the semis.   No 8th seed EVER won the Cup until the 2012 LA Kings, and they remain the only ones.

That aside, no, the Tampa Bay Lightning are pretenders, not contenders.  They will beat the Canadiens in the first round and then lose the second round.

I think Tampa COULD battle Pittsburgh hard in the second round, assuming they both get there. They match up well, Stamkos versus Crosby is a dream matchup.

IMHO Hedman may be the most important player on their team. He has finally had his break through season, the second best d-man in the club is Matt Carle which for you Flyers fans should make you realize just how important Hedman is.

BTW thanks for the information about the Bolts not being an 8 seed, I was getting ready to post that and saw that you already had.

I think Tampa COULD battle Pittsburgh hard in the second round, assuming they both get there. They match up well, Stamkos versus Crosby is a dream matchup.

IMHO Hedman may be the most important player on their team. He has finally had his break through season, the second best d-man in the club is Matt Carle which for you Flyers fans should make you realize just how important Hedman is.

BTW thanks for the information about the Bolts not being an 8 seed, I was getting ready to post that and saw that you already had.

If the Bolts draw the Pens in the second round (related question below), then the Bolts make it to the conference final and lose to Boston.  I just don't trust Fleury in a tough series until proven otherwise.

Related question:  What I don't know and am too lazy to look is do the teams re-seed after the first round like they used to?  Or is there brackets ala NCAA tournament (and some other sports)?

If they reseed and the Pens and Bruins both win in the first round, I think the Habs/Bolts winner has to play the Pens and the Metro 2-3 (presumably Rags/Flyers at this point) play Boston.

Is this the way it works or does the Metro 2-3 winner play the Metro champ and the Altantic 2-3 winner play the Atlantic champ?

@ruxpin

yes, they reseed after the first round, that is why I figured a Stamkos/Crosby series seems to be coming. of course you gotta win the first round series first but I think it would be a great series.

If the Lightning were to win the Stanley Cup this year, no one on this board would be happier than myself about it...really...they have the young talent, great goaltending, good team speed, decent overall team size, and a sniper in Steven Stamkos that teams ALWAYS have to account for.

That all said, to call the Bolts a legit Cup contender THIS season, well, I don't buy that.

This Bolts team, as good as they have shown they can be, have also shown huge holes in the defense and in the areas of 'tough, consistent, gritty' play on more than one occasion...things that EVERY Cup contender (notice I said CUP, not PLAYOFF contender) HAS to have if they plan on hoisting Lord Stanley's hardware come June.

Whether it's a product of play systems or simply young guys still learning their way in the rough waters of the NHL, either way, the Lightning are still missing some key ingredients on the blue line, and outside of the 4th line usually consisting of Crombeen, Thompson, and Malone, missing on the forward lines as well.

Too many turnovers by various Bolts players, loose coverage in the defensive zone, and way too many careless and ill advised passes at critical times that lead to prime scoring chances for the opposition, also add for the need for improvement if the team wants to be called real SC contenders.

Should the Lightning be IN the playoffs? Of course. I think they would have earned that should they get in....and perhaps maybe even win a first round matchup if they draw a team, like say, Montreal or Detroit.

But when matched against what I consider to be real Eastern contenders such as Boston and Pittsburgh, I think the Bolts still have a long way to go to be considered true Cup contenders over those guys.

The Pens and Bruins exhibit everything the Lightning do, but also have those other things the Bolts lack, such as tough board play, clutch scoring, and great defensive coverage....and teams like the Pens and B's DARE you to take penalties so they can capitalize on their man advantage.

And even if somehow the Bolts manage to avoid those two teams and somehow get into the Finals, getting by whomever comes out of the West in order to win it all will be a tall order...though at THAT point, I would have to say I like the Bolts chances as a team does not get into the Finals usually without facing and overcoming adversity en route.

If this group continues to progress beyond this season, some current players possibly swapped out for some grit and team toughness (and let's not forget we may see Jonathan Drouin play next year), then, perhaps, they can be called true CUP contenders and be talked about right alongside current Eastern powerhouses Pit and Bos.

They've won ONE cup and they did it as the TOP seed, beating the Flyers in the semis. 

My bad. I had it in my brain they were 8th seed and was too lazy to look it up. That semis with the Flyers was a great / brutal series. 

That all said, to call the Bolts a legit Cup contender THIS season, well, I don't buy that.

Will you marry me (after I divorce my wife)? 

Any girl that can talk hockey like you do (not to be sexist, okay, I am being sexist) puts an immediate crush in my book. 

No Maker jokes from the peanut gallery! :-P

Will you marry me (after I divorce my wife)? 

Any girl that can talk hockey like you do (not to be sexist, okay, I am being sexist) puts an immediate crush in my book. 

No Maker jokes from the peanut gallery! :-P

Haha...well, I can check with my husband to see if he wants out before I make any plans to re-marry...   :P

Seriously though..nothing magical about my hockey talk...I just pay attention...  ;)

Haha...well, I can check with my husband to see if he wants out before I make any plans to re-marry...  

Seriously though..nothing magical about my hockey talk...I just pay attention... 

Maybe we can trade? lol

Yeah, truthfully any sport is really about paying attention. Hockey is hard because its such a fast game. 

Hows TB looking v. Montreal? 

Maybe we can trade? lol

Yeah, truthfully any sport is really about paying attention. Hockey is hard because its such a fast game. 

Hows TB looking v. Montreal? 

2nd period just underway and I am hoping for a better period than the first..even though only down by 1, the haphazard Bolts play has given Montreal more opportunities than they should have.

Granted, the Habs have been red hot, but still, the Bolts have the speed to match them, some size that is better than they have, and the goaltending in Bishop to easily match Price.

Thing is, to the point of this thread, the Bolts don't seem to have the killer instinct that a team like Pittsburgh, Boston, and even lately the Rangers, Flyers and the Habs themselves have shown.

They need to get that, and get it quick, as fancy passing and pretty set up plays will take them only so far.........

My bad. I had it in my brain they were 8th seed and was too lazy to look it up. That semis with the Flyers was a great / brutal series.

Probably their best shot at a Cup since 1987. That game seven left me depressed for 18 months. That whole playoffs was incredible

Here's a bizarre prediction.

Bruins win their first round (so far not exactly out on a limb)

IF the Pens somehow draw the Wings I'm going to go ahead and predict a first round exit for the Pens.

I like the Bolts over the Habs but I'm more comfortable with that if they somehow steal 2nd and get home ice. But I'll go with the Bolts either way.

In this scenario the Bruins get the Wings (reseed) for the second round and the Habs- Bolts winner gets home ice over the Rags/Flyers winner. Rags/Flyers will come down to who had gone ice.

Bolts lose to the Rags but beat the Flyers.

I think the Bolts season ends against Boston but at that point who knows? In any case, a pretty nice season for Tampa.

Either Rags or Flyers would have an interesting playoff story line for Tampa (VLC or MSL) but NY would probably be moreso

All this to say it's even money for me that the Bolts make the semis. So I guess I should change my "no" for contender. My initial answer was based on "can they win the Cup." my answer to that is still that it's very unlikely

By the way, since I have the Pens out in the first round, if Toronto snatches the 8th seed and Detroit the 7th,it is conceivable that Boston plays original six all the way through.

First round: Toronto

Second Round: Detroit

Third Round: Habs/NYR

Finals: Chicago

By the way, since I have the Pens out in the first round, if Toronto snatches the 8th seed and Detroit the 7th,it is conceivable that Boston plays original six all the way through.

First round: Toronto

Second Round: Detroit

Third Round: Habs/NYR

Finals: Chicago

LOL...Toronto...that team seems to have forgotten what it's like to stop pucks, get in passing lanes, and cover zones...I hope they lose the rest of the way and miss the playoffs entirely...no need for them to stink up the Stanley Cup playoffs.....

Probably their best shot at a Cup since 1987. That game seven left me depressed for 18 months. That whole playoffs was incredible

Agreed. And that was Lindros' year. He was a monster that playoff. Too bad he chocked so bad later. 

LOL...Toronto...that team seems to have forgotten what it's like to stop pucks, get in passing lanes, and cover zones...I hope they lose the rest of the way and miss the playoffs entirely...no need for them to stink up the Stanley Cup playoffs.....

Agreed.  Just creating the way they'd play all original six.  They'll play Columbus or someone in the first round and then maybe all original six. 

Agreed. And that was Lindros' year. He was a monster that playoff. Too bad he chocked so bad later. 

Actually, that was 97.   That too, but I deliberately skipped over it because I won a ton of money betting against them.  Despite the fact they made it to the finals in 97 and only to the semis in 2004, I really thought 2004 was their better shot.  And in 1987, they made it to game 7.    I'd buy the Lindros year, though.  

To tell you the truth, the year they made it to the semis and Lindros came back and was nailed by Stevens was a REALLY good chance, too.  I will forever believe that if he didn't come back they go to the finals.  

They don't have to lose the rest of the way. Their next loss combined with a win by Detroit and Columbus will seal their fate. 

They are not mathematically out of it even then, but despite the win tonight, they are in a swoon. They barely beat a weak calgary team (no offense and worse defense). They have not pushovers the rest of the way (maybe the panthers). I see them going .500 the rest of the way, which will not get it done. 

I can't wait to see the exodus in Toronto this post season. Its and annual right of ritual. 

Actually, that was 97.   That too, but I deliberately skipped over it because I won a ton of money betting against them.  Despite the fact they made it to the finals in 97 and only to the semis in 2004, I really thought 2004 was their better shot.  And in 1987, they made it to game 7.    I'd buy the Lindros year, though.  

got it backwards. My brain is a bit scrambled. Blame it on DGG. 

"and when he smoked my eyelids and punched my cigarette" (jack straw will know that reference)

To tell you the truth, the year they made it to the semis and Lindros came back and was nailed by Stevens was a REALLY good chance, too.  I will forever believe that if he didn't come back they go to the finals.  

1997? Were the Flyers in the finals that year? Oh yeah, that is right, that was the famed Legion of Broom club wasn't it :lol: .....

OK - just for the record in case someone else hasn't said it...

There is a hard bracket system for the NHL this season and they do not re-seed.

2nd/3rd place teams in the division play each other.

Division winners play wild cards.

Within each division, the winner of 1st/WC plays winner of 2nd/3rd.

Each "division" bracket winner plays in the Conference Final.

I do not believe a wild card team can get home ice unless they play each other in the Conference Final.