NHL 2014 Playoff Bracket

Vanflyer

Here is the official (NHL) playoff bracket. I did not want to do as an image as it may change, plus just clicking the link throughout the playoffs it will update automatically. 

I did not know where to post this. Maybe sometime the powers that can be can ponder a "general NHL" forum. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/stanleycup.htm

Cheers

Edited by Vanflyer

I did not know where to post this. Maybe sometime the powers that can be can ponder a "general NHL" forum.

Here's "Around the NHL" http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/forum/157-around-the-nhl/

Here's "Playoffs" http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/forum/160-playoffs/

And Here's "General Hockey" http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/forum/135-general-hockey/

:D

I firmly believe one of the major reasons they wanted a fixed bracket is to be able to do commercial tie-ins with sponsors and try to cash in on the "bracket madness" like the NCAA has.

@Vanflyer

Thanks Van for providing that. I guess if the Flyers win out and the Rangers drop their last two, would that change to the Flyers facing the Habs?

In either case, I really like this match ups as they are now. 

Flyers can't face the Habs - they are in a different division. If the Flyers win out and the Rags lose out the Flyers host the Rags. Rags also have the ROW tiebreaker (40-38).

PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR

Top seed in division plays wild card - Top seed in Conference plays weakest wild card

2nd and 3rd place in division play each other

Winner of 1/WC plays winner of 2/3 in the division

Division bracket winners play each other in the Conference Final.

Conference Finalists meet in Cup Final.

There is no re-seeding.

• Like 1

Flyers can't face the Habs - they are in a different division. If the Flyers win out and the Rags lose out the Flyers host the Rags. Rags also have the ROW tiebreaker (40-38).

Thanks rad. I kind of thought the bracket was self explanatory, but I guess not. A bracket is a bracket and thus why they call it a bracket (meaning its a set structure). Just poking some fun (not at you, just others). 

• Like 1

@radoran

Thanks for the clarification Rad. This is intriguing how they formatted the brackets; however, this is going to take time for me to wrap my head around this.

There are a coupla other threads here and there (check the "playoffs" forum) about the new format and people's reactions.

Thanks rad. I kind of thought the bracket was self explanatory, but I guess not. A bracket is a bracket and thus why they call it a bracket (meaning its a set structure). Just poking some fun (not at you, just others). 

Well when they completely change the entire format of the playoffs, I would imagine there may be a little confusion going around. Some, like myself, are still wrapping our minds around the old format(old habits die hard). Thus, this is why I thought it may be possible to face another division opponent (thinking the old format rules).  The more I see it, the more I like the new format. It gives a lot more hype around a series and makes the match-ups far more interesting. 

However, I will admit since the last lockout life has become very busy in the Mega household, and I have not been glued to the NHL as much as I used to be. So a lot of the new nuances are sort of alien to me and I am sure many others. 

Can someone please explain to me (if it's not too painful to educate my feeble mind) that if the Flyers loose out and Columbus wins out, would the Flyers than face Pittsburgh and Columbus faces the Rangers? 

Now VF don't have an aneurysm  I am just asking a question here. I know it's painful to answer without backhanded insults, but please keep in mind that I don't have a copy of the NHL Bible any longer. 

Can someone please explain to me (if it's not too painful to educate my feeble mind) that if the Flyers loose out and Columbus wins out, would the Flyers than face Pittsburgh and Columbus faces the Rangers?

Depends on what happens in the other division. Detroit, the Flyers and Columbus all have 91 points and are tied, with the Flyers holding the ROW (regulation/overtime wins) tiebreaker with 38 to CLS 37 and DET 33.

If the Flyers lose out and the Jackets win out, the Jackets would play the Rangers. The Flyers could still play either the Pens or the Bruins (wild cards don't stay within divisions, and both wild cards could come from one division).

If they finish tied with Detroit in points, they will play the Pens (DET can't overtake them in the ROW tiebreaker - not enough games) in the "Metropolitan" bracket.

If they finish behind Detroit in points, they will play the Bruins and be in the "Atlantic" bracket.

The way it works - top three teams from each division make the playoffs. Then the next two highest point teams - again, could be two teams from the same division or one from each.

The Top Seed in Conference plays the lowest wild card

The other division winner plays the other wild card

the 2/3 in each division play each other

The winner of the division winner/wild card plays the 2/3 in the same division. The winners of the division brackets meet in the Conference final.

The Conference Finalists (obviously) play for the Cup.

• Like 1

It depends on what detroit does as well. At this juncture (in my feeble mind- w/o aneurysm). I believe its just Detroit / Columbus / Flyers jockeying for positions. Tampa is set with Montreal. 

Here is the way to look at it: 

1) If the flyers retain 3rd in the division, they face to Rangers with the rangers having home ice (no longer possible for flyers to get that with todays outcome). 

2) If the Flyers fall to the 1st wildcard spot, they will play Pitts. 

3) If the Flyers fall to the 2nd wildcard spot, they will play the B's. 

@Vanflyer@radoran

Thanks guys. 

I have read the other threads provided by Rad and think I am officially up to speed....

I guess now am really puzzled about the lack luster effort last night. 

Sorry if I came off as a jerk in my last comment, I am on 3 hrs of sleep and no coffee yet....

Cheers Gents