Ryan Smyth hangs them up

yave1964

Last night Ryan Smyth wore the C' for the Oilers as they defeated the Canucks 5-2 in Smyth's final game in the NHL calling it a career after 18 seasons, 14 of them spent in Edmonton.

Nicknamed Captain Canada because his NHL team seemed to be knocked out early every year and he played well in International play, he was captain of Canada in the IIHF for five consecutive years a dubious honor which says as much about his NHL team as anything else. He did win a Gold medal in the 2002 Olympics as a spare part with 1 assist in 6 games.

He made a living in front of the net, as a matter of fact he is the all time leader (tied with Glenn Anderson) for the Oilers in PPG with 126. For his career he finished with 296 goals for Edmonton and 386 goals total in 1270 games.

All together Smyth played in 8 Worlds and two Olympics leaving a much larger mark in international play than in the NHL. A class act throughout his career look for him to move into the Oilers front office and stick around the game forever.

Last night Ryan Smyth wore the C' for the Oilers as they defeated the Canucks 5-2 in Smyth's final game in the NHL calling it a career after 18 seasons, 14 of them spent in Edmonton.

Nicknamed Captain Canada because his NHL team seemed to be knocked out early every year and he played well in International play, he was captain of Canada in the IIHF for five consecutive years a dubious honor which says as much about his NHL team as anything else. He did win a Gold medal in the 2002 Olympics as a spare part with 1 assist in 6 games.

He made a living in front of the net, as a matter of fact he is the all time leader (tied with Glenn Anderson) for the Oilers in PPG with 126. For his career he finished with 296 goals for Edmonton and 386 goals total in 1270 games.

All together Smyth played in 8 Worlds and two Olympics leaving a much larger mark in international play than in the NHL. A class act throughout his career look for him to move into the Oilers front office and stick around the game forever.

One of my favorite players. Tireless on his work ethic. I will take 10 of him over 10 of Ovie every day of the week and twice on Sunday! 

My favorite Edmonton Oiler of the post-dynasty era.

-Always receives his due credit for how he played in front of the net, but not enough for how he controlled and protected the puck along the boards. In his time, he rarely lost a battle for the puck in that spot. Amazing stuff to see him consistently beat much larger men. Could write the book on that subject.

-He scored 386 goals in the NHL, and if you added up the distance he was away from the goal line when he put them in, I doubt it would be enough for a full lap around the rink.

-He lived by four words: "go to the net". I wish many of his younger teammates would figure it out, rather than trying to pass the puck in from the boards. There's lots of money to be made just outside the crease.

-Not what he once was (not close), but he's still an effective player. I guess he's just done.

-Ryan Smyth was a beauty.

My favorite Edmonton Oiler of the post-dynasty era.

-Always receives his due credit for how he played in front of the net, but not enough for how he controlled and protected the puck along the boards. In his time, he rarely lost a battle for the puck in that spot. Amazing stuff to see him consistently beat much larger men. Could write the book on that subject.

-He scored 386 goals in the NHL, and if you added up the distance he was away from the goal line when he put them in, I doubt it would be enough for a full lap around the rink.

-He lived by four words: "go to the net". I wish many of his younger teammates would figure it out, rather than trying to pass the puck in from the boards. There's lots of money to be made just outside the crease.

-Not what he once was (not close), but he's still an effective player. I guess he's just done.

-Ryan Smyth was a beauty.

Kinda nice that he got a major 5 year payday for what turned out to be his last really good season when he signed with the Avs.