Phoenix Coyotes year in review

yave1964

PRESEASON OUTLOOK

The Coyotes finally got an owner and went out and spent money on Mike Ribiero to improve the offense. Hope was high in Arizona that the club could make a playoff push this year.

FINAL RECORD 37-30-15 89 points 9th in the West

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR

Antoine Vermette had three short handed goals on the season, all in the same week in January over 4 games.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR

On November 16th the Coyotes defeated the Lightning 6-3 to run their record to 14-4-3 among the best in the league at the quarter turn.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON

April 12th the Coyotes lost 3-2 to the Sharks for their 7th loss in a row, this night to the Sharks eliminating them with one game to go in the season from the post season. The team managed a meager 9 goals in the 7 game collapse.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Mikael Boedker (19-32-51) had a nice breakout season. Keith Yandle (8-45-53) was a power play stud. Oliver Ekman-Larsson was solid with 15 goals. Shane Doan and Radim Vrbata were nice contributors. Antoine Vermette led the team in scoring with 24 goals. Martin Hanzal (40 points in 65 games, 73 PIMs) established himself as a power forward.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Mike Ribiero was not bad, just not what the contract justified. Secondary scoring was pretty much non existent. Mike Smith was meh, pretty much what you would expect for a borderline playoff team.

MVP

I am going with Vermette. He was a faceoff God, led the team in goals and played well in every on ice situation.

UFAs

Radim Vrbata

Paul Bissonette

Derek Morris

Thomas Greiss

OFFSEASON OUTLOOK

The collapse that nobody noticed what with what happened back East, what will it do to the Coyotes mental state? Vrbata is due a huge payday, can the Coyotes manage to keep him? Is OEL ready to become the next stud offensive d-man, and if so is Yandle going to be dealt? What to do about Mike Smith who looks overpaid and very average?

• 1 month later...

PRESEASON OUTLOOK

The Coyotes finally got an owner and went out and spent money on Mike Ribiero to improve the offense. Hope was high in Arizona that the club could make a playoff push this year.

FINAL RECORD 37-30-15 89 points 9th in the West

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR

Antoine Vermette had three short handed goals on the season, all in the same week in January over 4 games.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR

On November 16th the Coyotes defeated the Lightning 6-3 to run their record to 14-4-3 among the best in the league at the quarter turn.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON

April 12th the Coyotes lost 3-2 to the Sharks for their 7th loss in a row, this night to the Sharks eliminating them with one game to go in the season from the post season. The team managed a meager 9 goals in the 7 game collapse.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Mikael Boedker (19-32-51) had a nice breakout season. Keith Yandle (8-45-53) was a power play stud. Oliver Ekman-Larsson was solid with 15 goals. Shane Doan and Radim Vrbata were nice contributors. Antoine Vermette led the team in scoring with 24 goals. Martin Hanzal (40 points in 65 games, 73 PIMs) established himself as a power forward.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Mike Ribiero was not bad, just not what the contract justified. Secondary scoring was pretty much non existent. Mike Smith was meh, pretty much what you would expect for a borderline playoff team.

MVP

I am going with Vermette. He was a faceoff God, led the team in goals and played well in every on ice situation.

UFAs

Radim Vrbata

Paul Bissonette

Derek Morris

Thomas Greiss

OFFSEASON OUTLOOK

The collapse that nobody noticed what with what happened back East, what will it do to the Coyotes mental state? Vrbata is due a huge payday, can the Coyotes manage to keep him? Is OEL ready to become the next stud offensive d-man, and if so is Yandle going to be dealt? What to do about Mike Smith who looks overpaid and very average?

Nice read enjoy and agree with it. This team always seems to get a lot form a little. Tippett was my choice to replace Lavy.

Flyers need a structured system that has proven to work....and this isn't meant to be a knock on Berube. Just have always like his body of work even dating back to his Dallas days.

Also Greiss would be my choice to replace Emery if they can't land Chad Johnson.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Joe Thornton Available? Coyotes Gotta Make That Move

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/James-Tanner/Joe-Thornton-Available-Coyotes-Gotta-Make-That-Move/200/60349

If the rumours out of San Jose are true and the Sharks are going to be trading Joe Thornton, then the Coyotes need to get in on that and fast. 

Joe Thornton is not going to be available for long. We are talking about a first ballot Hall of Famer who, despite being 34, does not seem to be on the decline, posting 76 points this past year and playing in the full 82 games. If he is available, there will be a lineup for his services, and I would assume he is moved on or by draft day. 

The Coyotes need to do this for a variety of reasons. First, who better to show guys like Max Domi and Boedker how to be a star in this league? Second, who better to take the #1 centre slot until they can develop a star of their own? 

Joe Thornton has never been about mobility, he is about great passing and hockey intelligence. While I would be hesitant to acquire a 34 year old in most cases, I don't think age is going to really be a factor for Joe. The main reason players lose their powers as they get older is that they lose speed, but Joe never really had speed, which is probably the reason why whenever he goes in a slump people say he isn't trying. 

Ignore those people, and ignore the people who ridiculously claim he isn't a "big-game player." Number 1 centres of this quality are almost never available. If the Coyotes don't go for him, the Leafs, Predators, Red Wings, maybe the Oilers, just about anyone would love to have him, so I believe it is imperative that Maloney make inquiries now. 

This is an opportunity to hugely upgrade what might be the worst collection of top six forwards in the NHL. The Coyotes are not going to the playoffs next year if they enter 2014-15 with Vermette as their number one centre, and Erat and Vrbata in their top 6. 

Joe Thornton would go a long way in moving everyone down the depth chart, plus, if they do get Joe, then they also move Vermette back to his home on the third line where he will continue to be the best, or at least among the best, third line centres in the NHL. 

This is a team starved for offense and Thornton guarantees they will score more. Yes, it's 3 more years at almost 7 Million, but he is worth it. This is one of the best and most underrated players in the NHL. In order to move out Thornton, the Sharks might be willing to take back some salary in addition to picks and defenseman the Coyotes will have to give them, and maybe this is an opportunity to get Ribeiro out of town? Ahhh a guy can dream right?

Anyways, I don't care what it costs, I don't care how they do it, or why, but the Phoenix Coyotes need to bring in Joe Thornton - beyond just the fact that Thornton is an awesome player and a classy, hilarious guy, adding a hall-of-fame talent and the splash that would make would be the perfect thing to build attention and excitement as the team "moves" to Arizona. 

(Note: they are not moving, but rather becoming the Arizona Coyotes.) 

Anyways, I don't think the cost to acquire him would be all that much due to his age and salary, and I don't think a more talented first line player will be available. If the Coyotes have any hope of being a serious contender, of being a team that competes every year and a team that wants to make up for the constant uncertainty and precarious NHL position they held for much of the past decade, this is a move that would go far in making amends. 

@OccamsRazor

For some reason the Sharks are keeping their coach and looking to replace the star players which is mind blowing to me. McClellan has had his chance, I thought he was a great assistant coach with the Wings and think he has done a good job in San Jose but after so many chances to get over the top and failing I felt a change in coach (I really thought they would hire Larry Robinson) seemed in order.

If, as it appears Thornton is on the block I am certain a dozen teams will be beating down the door trying to get him. Phoenix does seem a natural fit, Yandle is one hell of a d-man but OEL has surpassed him as the number one blue liner, Yandle and Thornton is a good start of a deal. Big lift for both clubs.