Call the dive

Old School Hockey

When will the NHL have the balls to tell the on ice official to just call the DIVE? I'm growing tired of the trip and the embellishment call! It should not be both!

The only way to stop the dive is to call it alone. Big huge strong men and simple touch and they go down? Ridiculous!

• Like 2

When will the NHL have the balls to tell the on ice official to just call the DIVE? I'm growing tired of the trip and the embellishment call! It should not be both!

The only way to stop the dive is to call it alone. Big huge strong men and simple touch and they go down? Ridiculous!

Couldn't agree more!

I thought last night they were ready to call out stretcher for Carcillo,  but no he lifts his head ever so slightly to check his chin, just hoping on a prayer there was a drop of blood.    No wonder why the fans were booing.  The refs need to make the call, penalize the dive!

Carcillo would be out of a job. They'd never do it to the Pens though. 

I have been watching this game for WELL over 40 years. We have the biggest strongest players ever! Yet a touch and a fall will not be called a dive!

There's ZERO respect for the game! This isn't the game I grew up playing and watching!

Coaches coach if you feel a touch fall! And the absolutely inept referees reward the dive!

Edited by Old School Hockey

I'm very close to stopping watching my beloved sport. But unfortunately I'm not the fan the NHL wants.

Here's a list of why!

Shootouts

Embellishment

Not allowing teams and players to police themselves and then not hammering the shitheads due the instigator rules

The NHL having very little concern with tradition

WWE here we come!

@Old School Hockey

I'm very close to stopping watching my beloved sport. But unfortunately I'm not the fan the NHL wants.

Here's a list of why!

Shootouts

Agree but until they find a way to prevent 15-20 ties per team....

Embellishment

Been around at least 40 years....

Not allowing teams and players to police themselves and then not hammering the shitheads due the instigator rules

Players policing themselves is the worst idea for hockey on the planet.  You want the likes of Todd Bertuzzi or Shawn Thornton handing out vigilante justice? I'm sure Steve Moore thinks that is a great idea.

If a player really deserves a beat down he is going to get it regardless of the extra 2:00 for instigating.  That extra 2:00 sure prevented Thornton from going after Orpik (for a legal hit).

The NHL having very little concern with tradition

Agree to a point but other than the division and conference names and teams in "non" hockey markets, what are we really talking about?

WWE here we come!          

Two words. Staged. Fighting.  The NHL has been the WWE for a while now.  Getting better but...

@Old School Hockey

Diving is a huge problem to be sure but the goalie interference is an issue as well, imho that needs addressed.

I like can't disagree with you diving is cheating and goaltender interference most time is an action play. Diving is a guy consciously trying to influence the referee.

With all of that said i'm wondering if The no in the blue crease rule was so bad? Since they've gone back the other way there's much more action in the blue area causing the interference.

To be fair, these guys are travelling at high speed and even what looks like a small tap to the skates could potentially knock them off balance.

But that doesn't even begin to justify what we see here. The diving is ridiculous - particularly when a player goes down when being tapped by a stick on the upper body...like somehow the sheer force of a light stick tap sends them sprawling to the ice.

Message to the players: Let the refs call the hooks, etc. You don't need to help them out by flopping to the ice like you've been shot.

Message to the refs: Burn the diver witches.

To be fair, these guys are travelling at high speed and even what looks like a small tap to the skates could potentially knock them off balance.

But that doesn't even begin to justify what we see here. The diving is ridiculous - particularly when a player goes down when being tapped by a stick on the upper body...like somehow the sheer force of a light stick tap sends them sprawling to the ice.

Message to the players: Let the refs call the hooks, etc. You don't need to help them out by flopping to the ice like you've been shot.

Message to the refs: Burn the diver witches.

To be fair to the officials in this regard they are seeing these plays at high speed.  Some are obvious - like the head snap when the stick is 3' away.

Some not so much.  Paul Martin got called for tripping Dubinsky last night.  At full speed it looked like a good call. On the replay it was clear Dubinsky dove.

It happens.

Make diving a 5 minute (or at least 4) Unsportsmanlike, and CALL IT!

Right now the divers know the worst case scenario is a 4 on 4, with the pp more likely. Give them a reason to NOT do it.

Just simply take the diver to the box! And it will stop!