Is it time to worry about Fleury?

yave1964

B21 is really Doc Emrick in disguise.  Next thing you'll be doing B, is talking about how the Pens new strategy is to bunt the puck deep into the endzone  so the Pens fore check can blitz the Blue Jackets fullbacks.  Start practicing the cross sports analogies.

If the Pens tried the serve and volley more they wouldn't spend so much time perfecting the triple lutz in which case they would have more wickets than the Blue Jackets.

That OT goal from Foligno was a wicked googly.

Okay a few what ifs.

IF you pull Fleury you may as well send him home and tell him to wait for the call to let him know where he is going to play next year. IF he is pulled and Zatkoff gets the start you have to ride him because Fleury will be ruined. I am not talking about pulling him down 3-0 in the first, i am talking about giving Zatkoff a start. It simply cannot happpen.

IF the Penguins win this series and move on to take on the Rangers/Flyers they need the Flower to simply take care of his own end. Quite frankly Columbus with their tight checking in your face game was a bad matchup for the Pens, i think that either the Rangers/Flyers winner is a much better team for them to face. Both allow Crosby and Malkin more ice to play on and the puck will not be in the Penguin zone constantly.

A side note, if the Penguins get knocked out i cannot see Bylsma back. Several times in this series the Pens had the Jackets on the ropes and inexplicably took their feet off the pedal allowing a young hungry club to come back and now have renewed confidence.

IF the Penguins win the cup it will be because Fleury does not lose it for them. Kind of like Osgood for the Wings, he does not have to win the cup for the club, there is just so much talent on the team. He simply has to be a caretaker in net and allow the boys up front to win it. Not saying he is Osgood, Ozzie is derided for being an average goalie on a great team, i think Fleury is a little better than that but he does not have to win the cup simply allow others to do so. trust me, i am still angry at Ozzie over the 1993-94 and 1995-96 post seasons. Still havent quite forgiven him.

So in short i think you are stuck with Fleury, for good or bad. That is not a bad thing. He has been okay in this series, a misplayed puck here, a bad goal there and the series is over and Pittsburgh is sitting at home waiting for next. He just has to eliminate the little mistakes late.

That tap made it skitter (like how I used the Emerick thing there?) past Letang and Crosby and right to Dubinsky. I don't fault Fleury for the tying goal at all.

well you can not fault him all you want - and it was a goofy bounce - but he should've Shunted It up the boards - or even Waffleboarded It, instead of trying to Pitchfork It and Regather It...Look he should've Rescued It that's all I'm saying.

well maybe you don't follow ... I have Doc's phone # around here somewhere, he can translate.

(but you're right I looked at it again. tough bounce, not really MAF's fault)

Yes, it's a fluky thing, but I completely blame Fleury for that.  

I mean, things happen.  Pucks can bounce off a stanchion, a pile of snow, or whatever,  That happens.

But why I fault him is there is less than a minute to go with a tenuous lead in a very important game.  You could possibly going back home with a 3-1 lead in a playoff series.  I realize there are differences of philosophy here, but I don't like the goalie even back there with a half minute left.  Not a goalie who doesn't handle the puck real well to begin with.  Stay in the damn net and let your defense take care of it and BE IN POSITION if they don't.

But more to the point is that with 30+ seconds left in such a big game he is so ridiculously nonchalant  on the play.  He's one handing it, looking away from the puck, etc.  He's just kind of out there on a Sunday afternoon skate looking at the duckies.  I blame him for that. 

The result was he coughs up the tying goal with half a minute left and then lets a shot from northern Kentucky float past him in the overtime.   Ridiculous.

Maybe the Pens win two of the next three (they really should, but I called the Jackets so I'll stick with it) and all is forgotten.  Any other goalie and you simply chalk it up to a brain cramp and move on.   With Fleury?  It almost has to be not only in his mind but that of his teammates now.

But more to the point is that with 30+ seconds left in such a big game he is so ridiculously nonchalant  on the play. 

Exactly, he should have been well prepared for, i.e. expecting, a bouncing puck coming off the boards late in the period when the ice has turned to crap. Get those things called goalie pads in the way for chrissake! 

• Like 1

@yave1964 

IF you pull Fleury you may as well send him home and tell him to wait for the call to let him know where he is going to play next year. IF he is pulled and Zatkoff gets the start you have to ride him because Fleury will be ruined. I am not talking about pulling him down 3-0 in the first, i am talking about giving Zatkoff a start. It simply cannot happpen.

Absolutely agree.

IF the Penguins win this series and move on to take on the Rangers/Flyers they need the Flower to simply take care of his own end. Quite frankly Columbus with their tight checking in your face game was a bad matchup for the Pens, i think that either the Rangers/Flyers winner is a much better team for them to face. Both allow Crosby and Malkin more ice to play on and the puck will not be in the Penguin zone constantly.

Agree w/ all except about the match-up versus the Flyers. Not a good one for the Pens.

A side note, if the Penguins get knocked out i cannot see Bylsma back. Several times in this series the Pens had the Jackets on the ropes and inexplicably took their feet off the pedal allowing a young hungry club to come back and now have renewed confidence.

Agree again. (Wow.)  It's ECF or bust for Pepto Bylsma.

IF the Penguins win the cup it will be because Fleury does not lose it for them. Kind of like Osgood for the Wings, he does not have to win the cup for the club, there is just so much talent on the team. He simply has to be a caretaker in net and allow the boys up front to win it. Not saying he is Osgood, Ozzie is derided for being an average goalie on a great team, i think Fleury is a little better than that but he does not have to win the cup simply allow others to do so. trust me, i am still angry at Ozzie over the 1993-94 and 1995-96 post seasons. Still havent quite forgiven him.

Agree. (This is getting weird.)  Fluery can maybe steal a game or two. As we can see - he'll cost you a game or two.  As long as he makes the saves he's supposed to make in between the Pens can win with him.

Isn't that a "rule" of goaltending in every league? If it's up on the glass stay put, if it's low play it.

The other part of the "rule" is: When you're in the last minute or two of a big game you stay in your net, period. If you're not 100% sure you will handle it cleanly... you don't. 

@ruxpin

@Podein25

That's what I disagree with. That's a goalie play 99% of the games played. He swings the puck up the boards rather than letting the Jackets' forward get it, and the game is all but over. If he stays in net a Jackets player has the puck five feet away with lots of space to pass or shoot.

Bad bounce is all. It happens. It sickened me to watch but the team that deserved the game won the game.

The OT goal is my issue. Weak ass stuff there.

Edited by Polaris922

well you can not fault him all you want - and it was a goofy bounce - but he should've Shunted It up the boards - or even Waffleboarded It, instead of trying to Pitchfork It and Regather It...Look he should've Rescued It that's all I'm saying.

well maybe you don't follow ... I have Doc's phone # around here somewhere, he can translate.

(but you're right I looked at it again. tough bounce, not really MAF's fault)

Canoli, it's a 'burgh thing.  He did NOT try to "Pitchfork" it, he tried to poke it with his "Pickle Stabber".  Yinz are going to have to take a refresher in Pittsburghesse.

Edited by nossagog

I'm NOT defending Fleury on this, he should have played that with his body behind it just in case.

But . . .

Watch the play unfold.   I think it was Scuderi and Adams  whose guys skated right past them in on the puck.  The Jackets were going to get there first. Those two FORCED the issue for Fleury to play by not getting near the puck first, or at least at the same time and tie the Jackets up.  That's totally unacceptable with less than a minute in a one goal game. Where was the hustle from them. 

Were they surprised that the Jackets played the puck deep? I would have rather seen them play the 1-3-1 with the sweeper at that point.I'd have had my players.going back HARD to get that puck out. If you don't want to, I'll find someone else.

Again, not releasing the blame from Fleury, but there's more to be spread around than just him.

gosh i'm sorry i missed this discussion, i thought MAF was pretty nonchalant with the way he played that puck, I didn't think he should have played it in the first place but his urgency on the play was not commensurate with the situation in the game.

poor judgement at the least.

gosh i'm sorry i missed this discussion, i thought MAF was pretty nonchalant with the way he played that puck, I didn't think he should have played it in the first place but his urgency on the play was not commensurate with the situation in the game.

poor judgement at the least.

Exactly this

Isn't that a "rule" of goaltending in every league? If it's up on the glass stay put, if it's low play it.

The other part of the "rule" is: When you're in the last minute or two of a big game you stay in your net, period. If you're not 100% sure you will handle it cleanly... you don't.

Great point. I was wondering this myself. I'm sure that's pretty uniform

Fleury loses that debate either way.  If he stays in the net and the Jackets' forwards grab the puck it's a 2 on 0 and they probably score.  Then we're ranting "Why didn't you play the puck up the boards!"  If he goes to play the puck and well... you know it would NEVER happen, but let's say it takes a bad bounce like over his stick or something?  Then we're ranting "Why did you ever leave the net?!?!"     That's the conundrum of goaliedome...  can't win for losing.  

Fleury loses that debate either way.  If he stays in the net and the Jackets' forwards grab the puck it's a 2 on 0 and they probably score.  Then we're ranting "Why didn't you play the puck up the boards!"  If he goes to play the puck and well... you know it would NEVER happen, but let's say it takes a bad bounce like over his stick or something?  Then we're ranting "Why did you ever leave the net?!?!"     That's the conundrum of goaliedome...  can't win for losing.  

Polaris, I was actually chuckling in game 5, he almost NEVER went back for a puck, no matter where it was.  I think DFB put a tight leash on him.