Flyers recall Laughton

hf101

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should we care if Laughton burns a year of his ELC?

The Flyers have recalled their top prospect from the OHL as the Generals were swept out of the postseason last night.

Laughton will not play on Fri, however he could play the remainder of the first round and up to 9 playoff games before burning a year of his ELC, which means the Flyers could be in at least the second round of the playoffs.

Do you prefer Laughton to play over Rinaldo and Akeson?  Where should he play - fourth line center?

I voted yes, but with conditions.

If he can play 9 playoff games without burning a year, we've got the best scenario. I mean, if he actually gets put in a game, we get to see him play. If he's just another forward on this team, finding his way around, there's no sense burning a year. On the other hand, if he's making a difference night in and night out and our playoff picture looks good, then by all means, burn a year!

LAUGHTON = CUP OURS!!! 

:P

The Flyers have recalled their top prospect from the OHL as the Generals were swept out of the postseason last night.

Laughton will not play on Fri, however he could play the remainder of the first round and up to 9 playoff games before burning a year of his ELC, which means the Flyers could be in at least the second round of the playoffs.

Do you prefer Laughton to play over Rinaldo and Akeson? Where should he play - fourth line center?

Over Zac yes over Akeson maybe but i would need to see him play first to make that call.

Akeson has the 3rd best CF% in the NHL playoffs....Zac has one of the worst.

Edited by OccamsRazor

If he can play 9 playoff games without burning a year, we've got the best scenario.

This, pure and simple.  Laughton isn't gonna win them a Cup.  No problems playing him however.  

FWIW... #Flyers re-called Scott Laughton today from OHL Oshawa (has NHL experience) but Berube says he will not play in Game 4.

I let him play only if it doesn't burn a year. I know it's Debbie Downer but I just don't see him changing the fact we aren't going very far this year.

Soooo...

If his playing a few games doesn't affect his ELC, by all means let him play. It could be beneficial for him.

Now, I may be misunderstanding: Are we being asked if I'd trade a year of his ELC for a Cup? You betcha. Then again, I'd be on board with publicly crucifying him if it guaranteed a Cup. It sadly just ain't happening though (the Cup. I'm okay missing out on the crucifixion).

I voted yes, but with conditions.

If he can play 9 playoff games without burning a year, we've got the best scenario. I mean, if he actually gets put in a game, we get to see him play. If he's just another forward on this team, finding his way around, there's no sense burning a year. On the other hand, if he's making a difference night in and night out and our playoff picture looks good, then by all means, burn a year!

LAUGHTON = CUP OURS!!!

:P

Okay. Yeah, completely agree

I let him play only if it doesn't burn a year. I know it's Debbie Downer but I just don't see him changing the fact we aren't going very far this year.

Just to clarify, the ELC is still 10 games (regardless if its regular season or playoffs)? 

If so, let him play the 9 (if he is ready). At that point see where we are. Truthfully, I don't think its going to matter. I don't see the Rangers losing, mason or no mason. The Flyers have been playing ho hum hockey since the last 10 games of the season and into the playoffs. Unless they can reignite their form of late november - january, they will not make it out of the first round. Wish we would have gotten the Pitts matchup. 

Not to be stupid, but what is CF%?

Its the pecentage of shots generated while that person is on the ice, Akeson is 3rd highest rated forward in the NHL during these playoffs. It all based on puck possession basicaly you can't shoot if you don't have the puck.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Just to clarify

http://www.extraskater.com/glossary

Corsi is the number of shot attempts by a team or player. In other words, it's the sum of a team or players's goals, shots on net, shots that miss the net, and shots that are blocked. It's used as a proxy for puck possession: since we can't (yet) measure how long a player or team has possession of the puck, we use corsi as an approximation. We're interested in puck possession because you can't score if you don't have the puck (and the team that has puck more often usually wins). For players, we usually measure "on-ice" corsi, or all of their team's shot attempts while they're on the ice.

A better definition to all....

example: So Akeson has a CF% (rel) of 19.5%

CF% has these players lower than Vinny....

Rinaldo dead last at -13.8%

Hall -13.7

Raffl -10.6

Amac -6.1

L Schenn -3.6

Timonen-3

Simmons -1.7

Vinny -1.1

More examples...notice the  minus by these guys names....Akeson is a +19.5.....Zac -13.8 huge swing..........

Edited by OccamsRazor

No reason not to play him at least nine games, if the Flyers even play nine more games. Zac serves no real useful purpose at this point.

Yes i agree no need to worry so much about tomorrow before worrying about today....besides all of the young kids get bridge deal to carry them to 27 anyways...ok if he plays well he'll get a $500,000 more incentive money big deal they need to win now.

I say play him to and then once we see him play then you can tell if it's worth it or not pull him out and wait till next year....but trust me if he comes in the lineup and contributes he'll be worth every penny more he gets cause guess what the Pens or Jackets await....and uuuuhhhh....it aoin't getting easier....then Boston and maybe Chicago so to get hat far it will be certainly earned.

Thanks. 

Remember it is numbers and it only tells part of the story, it's not the gospel....sometimes their is no better test than the eyeball test.

If Laguhton can prove he can help he'll stay in the lineup because obviously they'll be winning so i hope they get the next one and keep it rolling.

Remember it is numbers and it only tells part of the story, it's not the gospel....sometimes their is no better test than the eyeball test.

Most definitely. Its just an indicator, that's. The proof is always in the pudding- and that pudding is best made using the brain and eyes. 

Quite simple for me. If he plays 9 games and they're 9-0 with him let him play the other 5 or 6 depending on what happens tomorrow night.

Seriously though it really is about how much he contributes in those 9 games. If he brings a lot to the table then he has to stay. I know you don't want to burn a year off his deal but if this team has a chance to win then you have to continue to go for it if he's contributing regularly and is an upgrade.

He's a defensively sound guy correct?

I think there's an assumption that Laughton would replace Rinaldo. But I want Rinaldo in the lineup. It's Hall that I would want replaced. He's been pretty off and on for a while now. I'd say about the last 10-15 games of the season, he just seemed a little more hesitant in his decision making. I noticed that quite often, it led to a turnover which was usually in our zone. 

So, yeah, I'd rather see Laughton replace Hall as 4th line center. I know it's risky because Hall *does* kill penalties. It would put more pressure on the other PKers.

Can Laughton realistically help the team in this series? Can he really make that much of a difference? Anyone know more about this kid than I do and want to weigh in?

He made the team out of camp, but after a 5 game "trial" it was decided one more year of Junior seasoning would be better. He has had a great year for the generals. I don't think he can hurt. 

The Flyers have already lost if people think a junior is going to save their playoffs. Too bad the best player in the world can't show up. Or any of those 20 goal scorers. Or Rinaldo's energy. Or any semblance of defensive awareness. Or the PP.

Emery wasn't the problem, and Laughton ain't the solution.

• Like 1

The Flyers have already lost if people think a junior is going to save their playoffs. Too bad the best player in the world can't show up. Or any of those 20 goal scorers. Or Rinaldo's energy. Or any semblance of defensive awareness. Or the PP.

Emery wasn't the problem, and Laughton ain't the solution.

Well said.

• Like 1