Flyers recall Laughton

hf101

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should we care if Laughton burns a year of his ELC?

From the games I watched him play with the Flyers, he was a solid face off guy, defensively responsible, and seemed to be able to generate offense playing in a 3rd/4th  line role. I would put Vinny centering the 2nd line and Laughton on the 4th. That would in actuality give the Flyers 2 scoring lines and 2 defensively responsible lines that still have offensive potential.

I posted this before but....

Laughton was voted top 3 in 7 different categories in the OHL Eastern Conference. Penalty killing and faceoffs he was #1. He came in 2nd in best shot, most dangerous in goal area, smartest player and best defensive forward and 3rd in hardest shot. That doesn't make him the Messiah, but I think he can at least be tried without worry of him looking any more horrible out there than anyone else..

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2013-14-ohl-coaches-poll-winners/160823

I posted this before but....

Laughton was voted top 3 in 7 different categories in the OHL Eastern Conference. Penalty killing and faceoffs he was #1. He came in 2nd in best shot, most dangerous in goal area, smartest player and best defensive forward and 3rd in hardest shot. That doesn't make him the Messiah, but I think he can at least be tried without worry of him looking any more horrible out there than anyone else..

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2013-14-ohl-coaches-poll-winners/160823

That's great news! Thanks @flyercanuck

I think he's going to be a solid NHLer and Flyers fans are going to love his work ethic. That's what I notice about him every time I watch him play.

The Flyers have already lost if people think a junior is going to save their playoffs. Too bad the best player in the world can't show up. Or any of those 20 goal scorers. Or Rinaldo's energy. Or any semblance of defensive awareness. Or the PP.

Emery wasn't the problem, and Laughton ain't the solution.

well said Doom... agreed.   

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

The Flyers have recalled their top prospect from the OHL as the Generals were swept out of the postseason last night.

Laughton will not play on Fri, however he could play the remainder of the first round and up to 9 playoff games before burning a year of his ELC, which means the Flyers could be in at least the second round of the playoffs.

Do you prefer Laughton to play over Rinaldo and Akeson?  Where should he play - fourth line center?

We need a spark on offense.  I say throw the kid in there & let's see what he can do!

We need a spark on offense.  I say throw the kid in there & let's see what he can do!

I agree... I mean, he threw Akeson out there, I wouldn't have a problem seeing what the kid can do. He obviously thrives under pressure... I doubt they could ruin him with throwing him in at this stage. 

• Like 1

Quite simple for me. If he plays 9 games and they're 9-0 with him let him play the other 5 or 6 depending on what happens tomorrow night.

Seriously though it really is about how much he contributes in those 9 games. If he brings a lot to the table then he has to stay. I know you don't want to burn a year off his deal but if this team has a chance to win then you have to continue to go for it if he's contributing regularly and is an upgrade.

He's a defensively sound guy correct?

YES!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I won't even respond to insane comments from people (not you) who think someone here suggested the Flyers were just a player like Laughton away from a cup....the things people say...

GeDdvDA.gif

Edited by OccamsRazor

The Flyers have already lost if people think a junior is going to save their playoffs. Too bad the best player in the world can't show up. Or any of those 20 goal scorers. Or Rinaldo's energy. Or any semblance of defensive awareness. Or the PP.

Emery wasn't the problem, and Laughton ain't the solution.

That says it all right there as far as how the Flyers have played. VF made the same point - the Flyers have been playing "ho-hum hockey" he called it for awhile now and the "2nd season" hasn't done a thing to spark them. Their level - pick any one, execution, compete/will/hunger, discipline/brains - all are way too low to beat a focused Rangers team - or any PO team.

Laughton should play for the experience up until it costs an ELC year. I wouldn't sit Zac or Hall though I'd replace Akeson. Yes he's been good but I say give another AHL guy a shot and keep your [supposedly] best players on the ice. If we went by merit - who should sit based on production - we couldn't ice a full team.

I'd replace Akeson

How can you justify that???

Really right or wrong weather you believe in it or not kid has the best corsi number on the team....than anyone...that isn't a fluke kid has played well for little to no experience.

Hall and Zac have some of the worst...i combine the corsi with my eye ball test and i agree someone needs to come out but Akeson isn't my first choice.

Akeson hasn't been on the ice for any Ranger scores so there is no sane reason to take him out...just ain't now when he becomes a liabilty sure take him out but the kid is playing damn good and is 1 of the only 2 forwards who has scored (Jake the other) not counting the empty netter for Simmer....plus he and made some plays out there even holding onto the puck....the only then he could improve on is laying a bigger boom with his body checks but he isn't the biggest guy out there.

Best CF% @19.5 Zac -13.8 Hall -13.7----------OOOOUCH!!!! UGLY!!!!

What even makes that more impressive??? 3 guys have more defensive zone starts than him! Hall- 64% 47% Read 45% Akeson 43% that says Berube trust him defensively.

http://www.extraskater.com/team/philadelphia-flyers/2013p#player-usage-chart

Edited by OccamsRazor

If you are going to replace any of the forwards on merit it would have to be Rinaldo, B.Schenn or Hartnell.

And if I were choosing it would be Hartnell.  He brings nothing but an anchor to Jake/G. 

Let Laughton play with G/Jake. 

How can you justify that???

I should've been clearer. I don't want to put Laughton in tonight, not at all. But if he has to go then I'd sit Akeson. You quote me the Corsi thing and tell me how well he's played. I don't disagree. I'm saying the Flyers' trouble is beyond Akeson or a potential Laughton filling in. For me it's about the team who played together all year - it's time to see what they're made of and tonight's the night. To-night's the ni-ight....To-night's the ni-ight... great old NY song. (neil young not new york)

It's useless trying to pick who sits based on performance. It's not about trying to "spark" anybody or get a particular line going. The way I see it, if this group can't get it done, then there will be changes over the summer. Until then we've got a "must-win" situation here, the most important game of the year. I don't sit any of my core guys tonight.

I don't want to take Akeson out. He's actually been good. But I think I'm with @canoli on this one. Say you sit Rinaldo in favor of Laughton and keep Akeson in the lineup. You now have two guys in the lineup with a combined NHL experience of roughly ten games. And Laughton's five games was six months ago with a different coach and while the team sucked monkeys. And we're going to do this--by choice--for the biggest game(s) of the season?

I could see them doing this, but just saying that I don't think *I* would.

I should've been clearer. I don't want to put Laughton in tonight, not at all. But if he has to go then I'd sit Akeson. You quote me the Corsi thing and tell me how well he's played. I don't disagree. I'm saying the Flyers' trouble is beyond Akeson or a potential Laughton filling in. For me it's about the team who played together all year - it's time to see what they're made of and tonight's the night. To-night's the ni-ight....To-night's the ni-ight... great old NY song. (neil young not new york)

It's useless trying to pick who sits based on performance. It's not about trying to "spark" anybody or get a particular line going. The way I see it, if this group can't get it done, then there will be changes over the summer. Until then we've got a "must-win" situation here, the most important game of the year. I don't sit any of my core guys tonight.

Yes we agree kind of i just wouldn't sit Akeson well because mostly he hasn't been a liability...yet from what i've seen, he hasn't been on the ice when the Rags scored and he has played with much hustle...i'm not looking for a spark either i just want to ice the 12 best forwards...and i include Akeson in the 12 best.

But no matter what i feel they will win tonight. Laughton should be given a chance to practice and then Berube should use his best judgement. But i wouldn't revolt if Akeson was taken out.

I want what is best for the team no mater what i want to win...period.

Flyers play 60 minute Flyer hockey they could win every game left verse NY.....doing that is easier said then done.

I don't want to take Akeson out. He's actually been good. But I think I'm with @canoli on this one. Say you sit Rinaldo in favor of Laughton and keep Akeson in the lineup. You now have two guys in the lineup with a combined NHL experience of roughly ten games. And Laughton's five games was six months ago with a different coach and while the team sucked monkeys. And we're going to do this--by choice--for the biggest game(s) of the season?

I could see them doing this, but just saying that I don't think *I* would.

You guys are over thinking this....really relax....Berube is going to do whatever it takes to win... i trust him to not to play favorites...and i know he want s to win.

You guys are over thinking this....really relax....Berube is going to do whatever it takes to win... i trust him to not to play favorites...and i know he want s to win.

Not over thinking anything. How long have you read my posts? Come on. You have to know me thinking at all is a struggle! And you're saying OVER thinking?

Maybe @canoli but not your favorite talking bear.

Anyway, I'm fine if they play both but I don't think it is something I'd do just because it's a hell of a lot of inexperience. I may be over estimating the effect of that but it is two position players with only five games.

Yeah, if there's injuries and your hand is forced absolutely. And maybe they do it by choice now. Not sure *i* would, but maybe that's why I don't make the big bucks.

What's another Center on the Team, right?   We all know how Homer loves his centers... 

Bashing aside, Centers are one of the most coveted players of all. Its the hardest job on the ice aside from goaltending. While it takes longer to develop / teach defensemen (which I am not sure that I fully understand why), its the center position that is the coveted position in my mind. 

The fact that we have a nice young stable full is excellent. A center to me is akin to a queen in chess. 

You still want to scratch Akeson????

OR, Last night Akeson was very good, generated a lot of offence and was directly responsible for both Flyers goals. I really liked the awareness of his kick back of the puck on the second goal.

• Like 1

OR, Last night Akeson was very good, generated a lot of offence and was directly responsible for both Flyers goals. I really liked the awareness of his kick back of the puck on the second goal.

Akeson looks like a keeper so far. He will be on the squad next year, which works out well for letting Downie walk.