Flyers recall Laughton

hf101

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should we care if Laughton burns a year of his ELC?

I would agree Brel if we were down 3-1 but it's 3-2. True, the Flyers record after going down 3-2 is not good (3-14). But this isn't "let's get the kids some PO experience" time this is G6 at home where the Flyers have a great chance to win and force G7.

sorry but "the kids" will have to wait their turn. Keep the roster exactly the same as yesterday, get Hartnell back on the top line to start the game. Then if necessary make some changes to the lines after 20.

And the third person on that line I can't even name - is it Vinny? Is it Akeson?

I've been clear from the beginning that the problem on this team is consistent depth scoring. They don't have any consistent "second" threat despite the "seven 20-goal scorers."

Their power play has been exposed and they have no answer (and, quite frankly, this Junior call up isn't going to change that). That's eight of 20 VLC goals, 15 of 29 Simmonds goals, 9 of 20 Hartnell goals, 8 of 23 Voracek goals.

That's why you have no idea who's on the second line - the Flyers don't really have any idea, game to game, who's playing there. Hell, one of their best scoring chances yesterday was from an AHLer who played one regular season game and another was from a guy who hasn't scored in 110 playoff games. They both missed.

If you're throwing in the towel and just want to get some experience for Laughton, fine. I don't believe the Flyers are in that position. I believe, despite the shortcomings, that this team can win two in a row against the Rangers.

But if the Top Nine forwards don't show up, rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic won't stop the ship from sinking.

sorry but "the kids" will have to wait their turn. Keep the roster exactly the same as yesterday, get Hartnell back on the top line to start the game

If you're throwing in the towel and just want to get some experience for Laughton, fine. I don't believe the Flyers are in that position.

Alright, you guys convinced me. I wasn't throwing in the towel, per se, but I honestly do not believe the Flyers can beat this Rangers team twice in a row in this series. But stranger things have happened, right? Win tomorrow night, and then it's a best of 1.

• Like 1

Keep the roster exactly the same as yesterday, get Hartnell back on the top line to start the game.

You had me till that line...dude is garbage man how many chances do we have to watch him spoil before he is put on the 4th or 3rd or whatever...he is killing G and Jake there is no way i can justify doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...just can't...time is wasting.

Getting him off the first in one step in the right direction...the next is putting him out the door...yeah i know that ain't easy to do...but get himoff G's wing man please for the love of God...if i see G pass him pass the damn puck one more time to him only to have him receive it and just fall down i'm gonna need to be committed!!!!!!!!!!!

well it's G6, elimination on the line so I go with the core guys, the ones most familiar with each other. No line swapping until we see what happens in the 1st.

After 20 if it's been ugly (again) all bets are off. But I would definitely start the game with my [supposedly] best guys.

well it's G6, elimination on the line so I go with the core guys, the ones most familiar with each other. No line swapping until we see what happens in the 1st.

After 20 if it's been ugly (again) all bets are off. But I would definitely start the game with my [supposedly] best guys.

I would change at practice so they can get familiar with each other...it be easier to implement it during practice than during the game.

I still don't think this is "personnel" - I think it's the approach to the game.

And Berube did all sorts of tricky line switch swaps in Game 5 and got really nothing for it.

A pair of fairly garbage goals, scoring "chances" from a season-long AHLer and a 39-year-old who hasn't scored in 110 playoff games, and no real threat to the Rangers' chances to win.

If the guys you stayed with all year aren't getting it done, why would the guys who you chose to add at the last minute make a big difference?

They wouldn't. Scott Laughton simply isn't a Nathan MacKinnon waiting for "his chance" to erupt.

If the guys you stayed with all year aren't getting it done, why would the guys who you chose to add at the last minute make a big difference?

They wouldn't. Scott Laughton simply isn't a Nathan MacKinnon waiting for "his chance" to erupt.

Who knew Akeson could contribute the way he has and look so solid after playing only a couple regular season games?

For what Rinaldo has contributed so far this series, you lose nothing giving Laughton a shot.

You had me till that line...dude is garbage man how many chances do we have to watch him spoil before he is put on the 4th or 3rd or whatever...he is killing G and Jake there is no way i can justify doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...just can't...time is wasting.

Getting him off the first in one step in the right direction...the next is putting him out the door...yeah i know that ain't easy to do...but get himoff G's wing man please for the love of God...if i see G pass him pass the damn puck one more time to him only to have him receive it and just fall down i'm gonna need to be committed!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree... right now Hartnell IS garbage. He's not playing 'his' game. He's not really doing anything... well, except going offsides on line rushes and falling down while the puck goes the other way. At this point... addition by subtraction would be my plan. SIT Hartnell for gm6. 

Honestly, I'd like to sit Vinny too, but it's probably too much to sit 2 vets for a big game, in favor of rooks. But, pick one... sit them... send the msg. Guys need to step up and guys need to be held responsible. Sit a leader and guys will get the msg. Hartnell has been so bad that I think he's a safe candidate. 

Who knew Akeson could contribute the way he has and look so solid after playing only a couple regular season games?

For what Rinaldo has contributed so far this series, you lose nothing giving Laughton a shot.

Hey, I agree if we're talking subbing out Rinaldo. That's a horse of a different colour.

Brelic had him centering the second line...

Let's say Laughton has the same impact as Chris Kreider did for the Rangers a couple years back. That's basically a 1 in 3 chance of even a point. And the next year Kreider played 48 games in the AHL and even spent some time in the A this season.

Laughton on a "fourth" line with VLC could do something if VLC does anything with his TOI.

sorry Bak but it's long past "send a message" time.

I'm not wild about Hartnell on the top line - and if Berube subs rookies for him and Vinny that's fine. I just figure go with the guys that got you to the dance...see if they have it in them to keep you alive for another twirl in G7.

[edit: honestly if I was going to bench anyone it would be Lecavalier. Maybe over the summer..."well Philly doesn't want me and I hate playing there too...where's Paul's phone number?"

Edited by canoli

sorry Bak but it's long past "send a message" time.

Yes it is my intention isn't to send a message my intentions is to ice the best team possible....all i know is the current group ain't getting it done...so it's time to try something else...so my choice since he ain't drawing any calls (refs see it's him getting mugged yet won;t raise their hand for the penalty) so get him off the ice to see if Laughton can improve the play on the 4th...he may not....but i know even at this current stage Laughton is a better hockey play than Zac.

but i know even at this current stage Laughton is a better hockey play than Zac.

No doubt. Rinaldo is effective when he's hitting and playing right on the edge without going over. Right now, he's not really hitting. He's been ok, but I agree that Laughton is already better than he is.

No doubt. Rinaldo is effective when he's hitting and playing right on the edge without going over.

Yes and Berube has to take notice AV scratched his loose cannon for last game in Carcillo....so he needs to follow suit.

I think Zac is heads and shoulders better at this role than Carcillo but he ain't getting the calls so he is more like to cause them so they need to stay out the box and Laughton is someone you can move around to other lines if mixing up needs to happen during a game or even a injury or something...he can easily i think in a pinch play almost on any line in a limited role i think.

So i'm thinking strategy....more so.

Schenn / G / Jake

Hartnell / Vinny / Simmer

Read / Coots / Akeson

Raffl / Hall / Laughton

many different combos possible...just wouldn't limit my options.

They need a spark...at this point in an elimination game i say what the hey.

That line is being completely dominated. Schenn is a no-show. Simmonds is a no-show. I mean, he skates fast and everything, but he's been ineffective.

i think the thing is they are being shut down.  and if they are being shut down, i can only imagine what would happen to a rookie.  i get what you are saying, but tomorrow is win-or-go-home, and i think it more likely that schenn/simmonds/whoever finds a way to accomplish some things than a newbi steps in and finds the space and time that the vets can't.  then again...maybe the rangers would give him some space, knowing he is wet behind the ears, i guess.  still, right now isn't the time to experiment with unknowns, i don't think.

still, right now isn't the time to experiment with unknowns, i don't think.

Isn't that how they found out Akeson could help was play him??? Speculation only answers so much...without test the theory.

But not matter i would dress maybe Vandevelde instead Zac so there is better balance on the 4th.

Just look at what the Rangers 4th has done to the Flyers...everyone one rowing no time for passengers. And get Hartnell off the first.

i think the thing is they are being shut down.  and if they are being shut down, i can only imagine what would happen to a rookie.  i get what you are saying, but tomorrow is win-or-go-home, and i think it more likely that schenn/simmonds/whoever finds a way to accomplish some things than a newbi steps in and finds the space and time that the vets can't.  then again...maybe the rangers would give him some space, knowing he is wet behind the ears, i guess.  still, right now isn't the time to experiment with unknowns, i don't think.

Yeah, I've accepted this point in the other thread. It's just that I'm a blow-it-up kinda guy with a lot of things, so that's my natural inclination :) I have very little patience for those kinds of things in my life, haha.

Isn't that how they found out Akeson could help was play him??? Speculation only answers so much...without test the theory.

right, and i think making a change like that for a second round series would be a different situation. if they somehow survive the rangers.  there is no coming up to speed time right now.

Akeson has a PPG, an assist and is -2 in five games.

I like the player. I like what he's brought. But let's not be thinking he's been in any way a game changer.

For me, the fact that they have a guy they wouldn't bring up all season playing second unit PP and getting second line time in the playoffs tells me there wasn't a whole lot of effective evaluation going on at all.

I have no problem putting Laughton on the 3/4 lines - perhaps even with a cupple of coffee shifts with a "scoring line" (as if the guy they keep trying to force into the second line role isn't effective enough as an offensive threat on the 4th)...

right, and i think making a change like that for a second round series would be a different situation. if they somehow survive the rangers.  there is no coming up to speed time right now.

But the thing is they get last line change so they could dictate the match ups, i just feel it's only a matter of time before Zac snaps!!!(perfect example next game why risk it for a goon?) 

I have no problem putting Laughton on the 3/4 lines - perhaps even with a cupple of coffee shifts with a "scoring line" (as if the guy they keep trying to force into the second line role isn't effective enough as an offensive threat on the 4th)...

Yes and i'd like a guy i could roll the line more with and give me more than just 6 minutes. AV got smart and took Carcillio out before he has a negative effect on the game i'd do the same. But that is just me.

But the thing is they get last line change so they could dictate the match ups, i just feel it's only a matter of time before Zac snaps!!!(perfect example next game why risk it for a goon?) 

agreed...   I know there are a lot of "Rhino" fans around these parts but he has no place on a playoff roster.  None...

agreed...   I know there are a lot of "Rhino" fans around these parts but he has no place on a playoff roster.  None...

I am one i like Zac he gets better and better it seems for the type of role player he is he is learning it seems i just don't think they need him.

Simmer, Hartnell, Hall, Luke and even Vinny can drop the gloves if need be they don't have a goon really, Flyer don't need one either.

The only message this group needs to send is at the end of the game they can outscore them...period...smart hockey!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor