Flyers recall Laughton

hf101

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should we care if Laughton burns a year of his ELC?

G & Jake use quick touch passes and speed of which Harnell has none.  Whoever is on that line with them needs to do the same.

I'll give the lines a try:

Akeson/Giroux/Jake

Schenn/Laughton/Simmonds

Read/Couturier/Raffle

Hartnell/VLC/Hall

Rinaldo sits.

If they make GM7 and Hartnell still proves worthless, Rinaldo dresses for GM7 and Hartnell sits.

sorry Bak but it's long past "send a message" time.

I'm not wild about Hartnell on the top line - and if Berube subs rookies for him and Vinny that's fine. I just figure go with the guys that got you to the dance...see if they have it in them to keep you alive for another twirl in G7.

[edit: honestly if I was going to bench anyone it would be Lecavalier. Maybe over the summer..."well Philly doesn't want me and I hate playing there too...where's Paul's phone number?"

It could be long past time, but my point is... nothing else seems to be working. They are laying down and dying a slow death right now. They say the effort was there in the 3rd period. Well, if that's true, then everyone should be much more concerned cause I certainly didn't see it. Well, not until the goalie was pulled anyway. Waay too late at that point. 

I'm looking at this as a 7 game series. Whatever we 'think' we're giving up of value with sitting Hartnell or Vinny, it's my contention that we're not losing anything by trying out a rookie. In Hartnell's case, I really do think it's addition by subtraction with him right now. I'm just saying... from peewee on up, from time to time(even in the playoffs), the most effective way to 'motivate' a team is sometimes to sit someone who's been **** ting the bed. Players realize that they have to pull more weight than just their own. 

As an ex. Teemu Selanne's benching. Check out what he did on his return. 

G & Jake use quick touch passes and speed of which Harnell has none.  Whoever is on that line with them needs to do the same.

Akeson/Giroux/Jake

Schenn/Laughton/Simmonds

Read/Couturier/Raffle

Hartnell/VLC/Hall

Rinaldo sits.

If they make GM7 and Hartnell still proves worthless, Rinaldo dresses for GM7 and Hartnell sits.

1/3 of your Top Six forwards have a combined total of seven regular season NHL games under their belt?

With all due respect, in a playoff elimination game, that simply doesn't work for me. 

And do you honestly - no matter how justified - see them with a $10M "fourth" line - for the next four years?

• Like 1

Those are great line combos for January, February. But for an elimination game? To me that's a gigantic risk putting so much inexperience on not just 1 but both scoring lines.

In January the message to Laughton and Akeson would be "Hey kid let's see what you got." Tomorrow night, throwing them in to play big minutes, in effect you're telling them "You have to score, our very LIFE depends on you." lol - you know what I mean.

Apparently the pressure has been too much for the established guys. The Rangers are playing great Team D but the Flyers are laying down for them. Tomorrow night, at home, will be the most intense pressure the Flyers have faced all year.

• Like 1

Akeson/Giroux/Jake

Schenn/Laughton/Simmonds

Read/Couturier/Raffle

Hartnell/VLC/Hall

Rinaldo sits.

i'll try that lineup too...best 12 skaters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why everyone is hung up on playoff experience blah blah how has that worked so far i'd say not so well

Edited by OccamsRazor

i'll try that lineup too...best 12 skaters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why everyone is hung up on playoff experience blah blah how has that worked so far i'd say not so well

Actually it's working just fine for the Bruins, Blackhawks and... Rangers...

hung up on playoff experience blah blah how has that worked so far i'd say not so well

Well it hasn't won the series yet, if that's what you mean. It hasn't lost it either. The Flyers are on the brink of elimination - they're also on the brink of forcing a Game 7, something that many of predicted the Flyers would need to beat the Rangers (not me, I foolishly thought they'd bring their best and whip the Rags in 5 or 6).

I get your point, I said I liked the lines, I just think it's Ka-Razy to try them tomorrow night.

Could it work? Sure. It could work unbelievably well. Is it likely to work? That's the real question...and for me experience under pressure outweighs "beginner's luck" (so to speak).

Well it hasn't won the series yet, if that's what you mean. It hasn't lost it either. The Flyers are on the brink of elimination - they're also on the brink of forcing a Game 7, something that many of predicted the Flyers would need to beat the Rangers (not me, I foolishly thought they'd bring their best and whip the Rags in 5 or 6).

I get your point, I said I liked the lines, I just think it's Ka-Razy to try them tomorrow night.

Could it work? Sure. It could work unbelievably well. Is it likely to work? That's the real question...and for me experience under pressure outweighs "beginner's luck" (so to speak).

I understand what you're saying but just look at the Avs!!! i tell ya it's overrated whome ver is there has to step and play to the best of their abilities!!!

They have nothing but young kids. Talbot is all the playoff experience they have.

Hedja, Parenteau had no experience till this year even though they are older. It's over rated the guys that play just have to play up to their competition for 60 minutes....that is all...everyone give it what they have and they'll be ok doesn't really matter how old they are and have they been here before. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

I understand what you're saying but just look at the Avs!!!

Hedja, Parenteau had no experience till this year even though they are older.

Ha, come on my friend! That's hardly the same thing. Parenteau played the whole season with the Avs, Hedja too (who has a couple Jackets' PO games under his belt, pretty sure). But even if the Avs traded for them in March, you're talking about experienced NHL players, both in their 30s.

I mean I get why you didn't use Landeskog or Nathan M in your comparison to Akeson and Laughton (!) - but you're really reaching using Parenteau and Hedja.

everyone give it what they have and they'll be ok doesn't really matter how old they are and have they been here before.

now ^THAT^ I agree with 100 percent!

Ha, come on my friend! That's hardly the same thing. Parenteau played the whole season with the Avs, Hedja too (who has a couple Jackets' PO games under his belt, pretty sure). But even if the Avs traded for them in March, you're talking about experienced NHL players, both in their 30s.

I mean I get why you didn't use Landeskog or Nathan M in your comparison to Akeson and Laughton (!) - but you're really reaching using Parenteau and Hedja.

now ^THAT^ I agree with 100 percent!

I'm trying to find where you're coming from for vets......... most of the team is real young i was just trying to find a vet example...so i just looked at player over 30 cause they don't have a lot i wasn't using those guys as youth examples.

Parenteau (31) had zero till this 5 games this year and Hedja (35) before this year has a whooping 3 games of play in the Columbus playoffs sweep year.

I'm trying to give your argument weight and i can't find any. Talbot is i guess is really IT!

Sorry it's over rated we don't have to agree i just think that is over rated.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I'm trying to find where you're coming from for vets......... most of the team is real young i was just trying to find a vet example...so i just looked at player over 30 cause they don't have a lot i wasn't using those guys as youth examples.

Parenteau (31) had zero till this 5 games this year and Hedja (35) before this year has a whooping 3 games of play in the Columbus playoffs sweep year.

I'm trying to give your argument weight and i can't find any. Talbot is i guess is really IT!

Sorry it's over rated we don't have to agree i just think that is over rated.

when you are talking about laughton, though, you aren't just talking about playoff experience, you are talking about NHL experience in general.  a thing that takes most players months or years to fully adjust to.  the game at that level, by all accounts, moves so much faster and includes opponents of such a universally high caliber that an immediately productive transition from junior to NHL is exceedingly rare.  the really amazing thing about akeson right now is that he is not drowning out there, is not obviously struggling to keep up with play.  and it is pretty amazing.  maybe laughton could do the same thing, but we're talking such a small percentage chance that i don't see the point.  not in a do-or-die elimination game.

colorado's kids have had an entire season's worth of exposure to the NHL game, at the least.  pa parenteau has had almost 300 games across 6 seasons.  hejda, almost 550 over 8 seasons.  laughton?  5 games.  a year ago.

now is not the time to break in brand new rookies.  not when the next game decides if the season continues.

• Like 1

I'm trying to give your argument weight and i can't find any.

LOL. Well naturally. I can only respond to what you write - not what you think you wrote! We weren't discussing "vets" we were talking about AHL kids.

Playing AHL kids with zero PO experience in an elimination game is... risky at best. You didn't agree and to support your argument you named a couple 30-somethings with years of NHL experience. I admit, that confused me.

1/3 of your Top Six forwards have a combined total of seven regular season NHL games under their belt?

With all due respect, in a playoff elimination game, that simply doesn't work for me. 

And do you honestly - no matter how justified - see them with a $10M "fourth" line - for the next four years?

I'm looking at speed/skill only.  I don't care about how long they played in the NHL.

Do you think Hartnell is all of sudden get fast or have soft hands? 

We know what we get with these guys already.  Let's try something new because the old might get the Flyers a win but it's not getting much more.

I'm looking at speed/skill only.  I don't care about how long they played in the NHL.

We know what we get with these guys already.  Let's try something new because the old might get the Flyers a win but it's not getting much more.

I completely agree - which is a great thing to do next season. Not in a home elimination playoff game, especially when you're talking about guys with a combined less than 10 games of NHL level (not just playoff) experience.

We just saw what a guy with 110 playoff games under his belt who hasn't played 7 NHL games all season did for them. Bubkus. Now we're looking to a guy with even less NHL experience who hasn't played in the league at all this season to be the savior? Or a guy with one regular season NHL game this season??

Just doesn't work for me. YMMV.

I'm not here to defend Hartnell - an egregiously bad contract we will all live with for the next five seasons. Or VLC - an egregiously bad contract we will all live with for the next four seasons.

But the guys with the NHL time need to step up: Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Read, Couturier, etc. This is their time to play their game and raise their level.

If those guys don't/can't/won't step up, then quite frankly thinking that Laughton, Akeson, McGinn, Lauridsen, Gotstobehere, Haag, Morin, etc. will is just grasping at straws.

We know what we get with these guys already.

My point exactly Kreider jumped from the NCAA straight to the playoffs i'm tired of trying to prove a point...there is the supposed normal and then every now and again someone comes along and goes beyond what every one else has done....no two players are the same and develop the same...like why keep doing the same thing and expecting different results, we know what they have with these guys...no matter i'm done trying to prove its ok to try new things.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Can anyone explain why they won't move Raffl up?  The kid is fast, watch him forecheck.  He doesn't look fast, but he covers a lot of ice quickly.

Raffl isn't the answer or the savior IMHO, but moving Raffl up beats moving an untested rookie there.  

The kid is fast, watch him forecheck. He doesn't look fast, but he covers a lot of ice quickly.

powerful skater, no question.

he's got long arms too, or something, he seems to get his stick on a lot of passes and gets his blade on the puck quicker than opponents think he's capable of , it's happened all year, yet he continues to make those "surprise" plays, if only he were a cold blooded goal scorer too... his speed does open up the ice for Giroux and Voracek.  plus Simmonds Hartnell and Schenn ground the hell out of bitches when they were together,  one could do worse.

Can anyone explain why they won't move Raffl up?  

Because they don't know how to evaluate their own talent....they prefer to look at the neighbor's green grass on the other side of the fence and long and lust for it they don't realize the neighbor planted those seeds and just let them grow into place....

...it's the Flyer way no patience and would rather look at another team instead of exhausting every internal source first.

Akeson is a perfect example dude has lit it up for two years in the AHL but couldn't even get a sniff till the last game of the year. 

plus Simmonds Hartnell and Schenn ground the hell out of bitches when they were together,  one could do worse.

I completely forgot about that line. They were really effective when they were together... and productive IIRC. The return of Vinny, I think, is what kaiboshed that line.

I was okay with the VLC signing thinking he would be a good player for 3 of the 5 years of that contract, i had no idea he was as washed up as he's shown us this season.  I don't see where his presence is helpful to the team either the short or long term.

damn.

sucks to be that wrong.

Chief could protect that line, start them in the offensive zone, Simmonds plays 200 feet with good speed, so can Schenn, plus he'd be back to being a pivot, and they ******* maul people. 

for tonight i'd like to see a reunion of sorts. 

Raffl  G, Jake,  ;

Simmonds Schenn, Harts,; 

Read, Couturier Akeson ;

Hall , VLC, Rinaldo

I completely forgot about that line. They were really effective when they were together... and productive IIRC. The return of Vinny, I think, is what kaiboshed that line.