Our #1 defensive pairing...

pensuck

I forgot to put the link to those numbers...but remember they are just part of the picture.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/shooting?season=2013&pos=D&team=phi&sort=s

Season 

Team 

Country 

Position 

Situation 

Min. GP 
Edited by OccamsRazor

I forgot to put the link to those numbers...but remember they are just part of the picture.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/shooting?season=2013&pos=D&team=phi&sort=s

Season 

Team 

Country 

Position 

Situation 

Min. GP 

@OccamsRazor

Very interesting website.  Most of it is over my head, however, if anything show how really weak out 1st pair D-men are as compared to other teams.

I'd be interested in seeing post-November Corsi. What did the team look like after it stabilized? Were these guys still crap, or victim of cirumstance (Lavy)? That's seems like actionable information to me.

@OccamsRazor

Very interesting website.  Most of it is over my head, however, if anything show how really weak out 1st pair D-men are as compared to other teams.

Well it is just numbers but i does show a little of what i thought i saw. Just for comparisons sake.

You know in order to understand what each stat means or represents you just hold your cursor over the category at the top of each column and it will show what it means or represents stat wise.

Edited by OccamsRazor

if anything show how really weak out 1st pair D-men are as compared to other teams.

Yeah once i combined the numbers of the miss shots with the blocked shots it is even uglier.

Kimmo had 48.1% shots not getting to the net. Cobrun had 54.7% of his not getting to the net. Streit had 56.6% of hi snot getting to the net.

And Luke who did have the least shots miss the net @ 16.4 once combined with the blocks had 59.2% of his shots not getting to the net.

And GrossmanN had 60.2% of his not getting to the net.

And worse when you combined Kimmo and Cobruns numbers they had 51.4 of their shots not getting to the net.

Streit and GrossmanN had 58.4% of their shots not making the net. Kind of ugly i'll say. But Streit and GrossmanN didn't play the whole season together just part of the time still those aren't painting a pretty picture and just confirmed what i kind of thought.

The Dmen need to work on their accuracy and getting their shots through traffic and on net. 

I guess we're not talking about MacDonald because he's not going anywhere, but for $5.25M/year for the next 6 years, I was pretty underwhelmed. 4 points in 19 games and -3 during the season; 2 points in 7 playoff games, -2. And his play is unremarkable. Not great, not bad. 

He needs to show A LOT more to come even close to being worth that kind of money. Like we talked about in another thread, it's not so much the money I'm worried about, but that we continue to have the highest paid defense that plays very very mediocre. MacDonald is essentially not moveable with that contract. And he's not even close to being a #1/top pairing defender. I mean, he sometimes gets the TOI that a #1 would get, but does anyone else really see a #1 in the way he plays? Not me. It's an overcommitment in every sense of the word - money, length, and expected role. They're so ******* desperate for a defenseman that they make stupid decisions when trying to address it. 

All that to say that MacDonald should not be on the top pairing. 

For once, I'd like to see the blueline rounded out by what we actually drafted and developed ourselves. Lauridsen, Ghost, Gus, Alt. Who knows, maybe Hagg comes in and impresses. He got 4 points in the 10 games he played with the Phantoms at the end of the year. 

Enough with the grass is greener mentality. Show some faith in your own guys.

For once, I'd like to see the blueline rounded out by what we actually drafted and developed ourselves. Lauridsen, Ghost, Gus, Alt.

Yes. I would have thought Ollie and Alt would have gotten a chance for some time to fill in instead of Gill.

But just like Akeson playing damn well Ollie in December lead the crappy Phantoms with a +12 yet couldn't get a cup of coffee with the club like Akeson and i was saying damn what else does he have to do to get a look.

Jesus we all knew Gill was just a pylon and instead of giving the the BIG Dane and look they gave those minutes to Gill...what kid of message just that send to the kids. Yes play your ass of put up decent point with damn near no supporting cast and nada?????????????????????????????

To me it send the wrong message.

No they would rather them play with bums and then try to "project" what they could be or do instead of just calling them up and finding out for real.

How many countless times have we seen this club makes projections/assumptions with their kids to trade them/cut them and then they go on to have good careers else where and maybe even come back to haunt them????????????

Edited by OccamsRazor

But just like Akeson playing damn well Ollie in December lead the crappy Phantoms with a +12 yet couldn't get a cup of coffee with the club like Akeson and i was saying damn what else does he have to do to get a look.

That's pretty much the story with this franchise. I haven't looked around to see what it's like elsewhere, but something tells me more of their farm players make it to the big leagues. And it's not because they necessarily have better players, but because it's cheaper and just as good as whatever stiff you will go out and sign to round out the lineup.

Our top end prospects, like Richards, Carter, Giroux, Couturier... they make it to the squad. But it's the middling and bottom prospects that never do. They're never really given a fair shake it seems.

That's pretty much the story with this franchise. I haven't looked around to see what it's like elsewhere, but something tells me more of their farm players make it to the big leagues. And it's not because they necessarily have better players, but because it's cheaper and just as good as whatever stiff you will go out and sign to round out the lineup.

Our top end prospects, like Richards, Carter, Giroux, Couturier... they make it to the squad. But it's the middling and bottom prospects that never do. They're never really given a fair shake it seems.

Amen. That is all I'm saying I prefer to look within before writing off the ones they already without being even given a chance, bring them up give them the chance to prove them selves then if they can't cut it look else. Its like going to the grocery store for food but you never checked your fridge or cupboards to se what you have first. Who does that?

Edited by OccamsRazor

Yeah once i combined the numbers of the miss shots with the blocked shots it is even uglier.

Kimmo had 48.1% shots not getting to the net. Cobrun had 54.7% of his not getting to the net. Streit had 56.6% of hi snot getting to the net.

And Luke who did have the least shots miss the net @ 16.4 once combined with the blocks had 59.2% of his shots not getting to the net.

And GrossmanN had 60.2% of his not getting to the net.

And worse when you combined Kimmo and Cobruns numbers they had 51.4 of their shots not getting to the net.

Streit and GrossmanN had 58.4% of their shots not making the net. Kind of ugly i'll say. But Streit and GrossmanN didn't play the whole season together just part of the time still those aren't painting a pretty picture and just confirmed what i kind of thought.

The Dmen need to work on their accuracy and getting their shots through traffic and on net.

You have to have to have to use context for stats reading on things like this. Chara had 50.7% not get through on net. Subban: 55.4%. Doughty: 56.1%. Keith: 53.7%.

The Flyers' numbers aren't particularly bad if you look around.

Edit : matter of fact, timonen was the 14th most consistently on - goal shooter among dmen. Only 25 total were at or above 50%.

Edited by aziz

You have to have to have to use context for stats reading on things like this. Chara had 50.7% not get through on net. Subban: 55.4%. Doughty: 56.1%. Keith: 53.7%.

The Flyers' numbers aren't particularly bad if you look around.

Edit : matter of fact, timonen was the 14th most consistently on - goal shooter among dmen. Only 25 total were at or above 50%.

Yes...its just part of the picture.

What i was wondering to is how the miss the goal stats could get skewed too with how they viewed shots say that were fired from the Dmen that would have been on net but a forward deflected it and it missed, don't know how that miss is recorded....it should be charged to the forward not the Dman who fired it.

Yes...its just part of the picture.

What i was wondering to is how the miss the goal stats could get skewed too with how they viewed shots say that were fired from the Dmen that would have been on net but a forward deflected it and it missed, don't know how that miss is recorded....it should be charged to the forward not the Dman who fired it.

And the truth of it is that the tracking of numbers like this are hugely subjective. A slap-pass that was obviously to a winger I would assume is not counted as a missed shot... But if that slap-pass is blocked....probably does. Just to name one complication. Give aways, take aways, hits, blocks, even SOG, all have some guy deciding if a particular thing counted. It probably evens out, probably all players are subjected to the same fuzzy tracking, so comparisons are likely worth something. But only something. And only in the big picture.