good win boys

Jam1986

Great game from Mason and Akerson! just keep it up now and watch the penalties 

Yeah hell of a game...on the edge of my seat all game. Would have prefered a bigger cushion but i'll take it. I'm not going to say anything about the officials...i just got the blood pressure back in check...i consider it training for the Pens!!!!  :ph34r:

Mason was outstanding hell of a game by him he did just what i envisioned him doing giving them a chance.

And Akeson i just defended today..check the Laughton thread....guys wanted to take him out the lineup....Canoli Rux you know who i'm talking to step up and take your medicine.(you guys know i'm just kidding)

I have been lobbying for him since mid season ( Rad is my witness gave me details of Meltzer's thoughts on him)....and finally we know if he can play in the NHL or not (ok not really we need to see more but i love the start)....and from i seen he can by far. 

Hell of a game by him. And many others Great team win.

2 more wins please!!!! 

Edited by OccamsRazor

Mason showed what a difference maker he can be.  It is obvious that the Rangers are not going to give the Flyers O an inch, so to win this series, they are going to need more performances like this from their goalie.  I totally appreciate the effort that Emery gave us in the 1st 3 games and I don't put all blame on his shoulders for the game 1 and 3 losses, but I feel a lot better with him on the bench.  There is something to be said for how a team plays when their starter is b/w the pipes in the big games versus having their back up in the game.

It was far from pretty, but they came together and pulled out a close one.  They need to put together a better game if they want to take game 5 at MSG though.  I have never liked that way the Flyers match up against the Rags, but if Mason can continue to play at this level and the Flyers can take advantage of the opportunities that they get, it is certainly a winnable series.  Not going to be easy though.  I originally picked the Rags in 6, so here is hoping and praying that the Flyers prove me wrong.

Good night all and F THE RANGERS! 

Mason showed what a difference maker he can be.  It is obvious that the Rangers are not going to give the Flyers O an inch, so to win this series, they are going to need more performances like this from their goalie.

I don't want to sound harsh (especially since I was unable to watch the game), but here it goes. 

This is just from watching the highlights and from a strictly analytical point of view: 

The Good: 

1) Goal tending- Mason was superb. 

2) Faceoffs- Many over look this, but this is the first game of the series that the Flyers dominated the faceoffs. While G. has been stifled in other areas of the ice, all serious long him and hall have been the only ones to win more than lose in the dot. Tonight, there was not a single loser. Puck possession is a key to winning and a big part of that is winning the draws. 

3) The D- Mason did his job, but the d also sucked it up when grossman went down. 

The Bad: 

1) Giveaways- to point number three above, puck possession three above, puck possession is key to winning. The flyers had a 4:1 ratio on giveaways. Kind of negates the dominance in the face off circle. 

2) Shots- Extremely outshot again (38-25). While the Flyers had 25 tonight (to NYR 38), they are still averaging 20 shots to the rangers 35 per game through the series. Won't win many hockey games, let alone series that way at the NHL level. 

3) Blocked shots- normally a forte' of the Flyers, they lost the blocked shots 2-1. I guess you could look at it a couple of ways: a) the flyers were trying to generate chances that were blocked or b) the Flyers were not very good at preventing opportunities on goal by the Rangers. 

The bottom line for me is that without Mason (or any other stand on your head goalie), just looking at it from a numbers perspective, the game would have been a route. 

That was an exciting playoff game! Man, the last minute was intense. This is what it's all about!

@Vanflyer solid points all around. I agree with everything you said.

The 1st period was more of the same. Flyers unable to sustain any pressure, let alone gain the zone. The Rangers being opportunistic and making the most of their chances. Their transition game is impressive and that's what kills us. If Berube can make an adjustment to prevent the constant stretch passes and odd man rushes, it would help cut down on those.

The 2nd period is where the Flyers looked very good, and managed to break through the defense. They used their checking game and strong board play. *That's* where the Flyers excel. I thought Voracek was one of the best forwards last night along with Simmonds and Schenn. Lecavalier was easily the worst forward. Wow, I can't get over the bad passes, blind plays, and general ineptitude with the puck. Four more years, boys.

The Rangers found a bit of their mojo back in 3rd, but Mason shut the door. He was unbelievable throughout the game, and I was commenting in game chat last night how he had piss and vinegar in his game. Hitting people in his crease, getting involved in scrums, playing the puck with confidence. That's the Mason we need. 

Assuming Grossmann can't go tomorrow, who do you put in? Gus or Gill?

I could live with either, but I think I would actually go with Big Hal. Against a team like the Rangers that forces so many turnovers, I trust Gill to keep it simple and not get fancy. Gus makes a little nervous when he gets the puck in the Flyers end. And obviously Gill gives you more size to protect Mason.

Thanks Doc, um, I mean Rad (if you are Doc, I guess that makes me Pierre.....uggh, just spit up a bit in my mouth). 

That's a good write-up for those of us that could not watch the game.

Regarding Gill or Gus? Is there really a question? How can you deny the Masterton trophy nominee?? 

Gill ALLLLLLLL the way! 

The bottom line for me is that without Mason (or any other stand on your head goalie), just looking at it from a numbers perspective, the game would have been a route.

hope you don't mind a few alterations. Anyway you nailed it: the Rangers outplayed us [again] - Mason stole the game.

The Flyers' "A" game is still MIA. ...worst puck management I've seen since October.

• Like 1

I think the Rangers have been a solid team even the last year, but Alain Vigneault got them to play a disciplined, system-first type hockey, which makes them a difficult matchup against many teams. They way they control the puck is a thing of beauty. Honestly, I was disappointed with how the Flyers played.  I expected to see a lot more desperation at home, a lot more territorial advantage, more puck possesion, more time spent in the Rangers' zone, and, frankly, more determination. It is hard to argue that without Mason, this is a blow-out.

Everything I have seen so far leads me to think that the Flyers are simply no match for the Rangers.  The mere fact that this series is tied is nothing short of a miracle.  This could've easily been a sweep... this is how much fundementally better the Rangers are. 

Edited by Mad Dog

I think the Rangers have been a solid team even the last year, but Alain Vigneault got them to play a disciplined, system-first type hockey, which makes them a difficult matchup against many teams. They way they control the puck is a thing of beauty. Honestly, I was disappointed with how the Flyers played.  I expected to see a lot more desperation at home, a lot more territorial advantage, more puck possesion, more time spent in the Rangers' zone, and, frankly, more determination. It is hard to argue that without Mason, this is a blow-out.

Everything I have seen so far leads me to think that the Flyers are simply no match for the Rangers.  The mere fact that this series is tied is nothing short of a miracle.  This could've easily been a sweep... this is how much fundementally better the Rangers are.

Very good post. Cant belive they get scored on in back to back games with some coing out the box...makes not scoring on the PP that much worse. Without Mason they don't stand a chance.

this is interesting - really good post MD. It leads me to ask you if you think the Flyers "A" game has been stymied by the Rangers, or are the Flyers just executing too poorly? I guess you already answered by saying the Rags are just fundamentally better. But I'm not so sure you're right about that.

I [want to] believe the lopsidedness of most of the games is because the Flyers have stunk - in a word - and not because the Rangers matchup so well with them. For example, I see a decent amount of good plays developing every game for the Flyers...and then Hartnell or VLC touches the puck and it's over, the play is dead, going back the other way.

I give the Rangers credit for playing like the better team, they're doing everything the Flyers are not. The Flyers have improved a lot since G1 - they're getting thru the N zone much better now, they're still defending pretty well as a team. The PP looks 1000% better (the 1st unit anyway). There are some bright spots.

[edit: We've yet to see the Flyers at their best. The question for me is, can they play their "A" game against the Rangers or not?]

Edited by canoli

this is interesting - really good post MD. It leads me to ask you if you think the Flyers "A" game has been stymied by the Rangers, or are the Flyers just executing too poorly? I guess you already answered by saying the Rags are just fundamentally better. But I'm not so sure you're right about that.

This is a good question, and, of course, I can only offer an opinion. Based exclusively on my observations made from the couch, I think on paper (at least), the Flyers *could* have played with this team. For Lord's sake, they have more 20-goal scorers than any other NHL team. But what I am seeing on the ice in these 4 games so far, is that the Rangers are doing an unbelievably good job by thwarting the attack and quickly creating a counter rush. Their game plan seems to be quite simple, yet effective, and they have right personnel for executing this plan.

Watch how the Flyers start the rush - it's not any different from what they have been doing all season long and what made the Flyers successful post mid-season. The Flyers had no major difficulty with puck possession in the regular season, even against the elite teams. What I am seeing here is a night and day difference.

But in this series - maybe with the exception of some fragments of Game 2 - Vigneault makes his team bottle up the neutral zone like crazy. You mentioned Hartnell and VLC get the puck in the offensive zone and the attack dies. Well, I don't think that's because Hartnell or VLC (or any other Flyer for that matter) just doesn't want to try hard. I think it's because the Rangers just committed to not giving the Flyers any room to operate. I don't know if it can be called a left wing lock, or trap, or whatever else... but the way the Rangers have been playing team D is something that I haven’t seen in a long time.  Couple that with how well the Rangers control the puck in all three zones, and how slow and bulky the Flyers defense generally is, and you have a recipe for a disaster.  Like I said, the only thing that I find shocking is that this series is somehow tied at this point.

So to summarize, I think the Flyers *are* executing poorly, but I think the Rangers have everything to do with that.  I just can’t rationalize it in any other way. 

I mentioned Hartnell because when the Rags focus on Giroux they're leaving Hartnell room to operate. The Flyers have recognized it and gotten him the puck but he hasn't converted any of the chances - and he got more than a few yesterday - esp in the 1st. He had at least 1 wide-open net and he flubbed it.

Something similar is happening with Simmonds when he works the PP; the Rags rotate down real quick when the puck goes to him. 5 on 5 his line has been useless. I hate to lay all the blame on his center but Schenn is not making enough happen - his line is 1-and-done almost every shift, when they make it to the Rangers' zone that is.

If they hope to win G5 they'll need their A game. Mason may steal another one but they can't count on that. They have to play like the team they were after the Olympic break. What happened to those guys, where is that team?

As far as VLC what can we say? The guy is a shadow of his former self. It's almost like he's boycotting the game, staging a little 1-man protest. I swear sometimes it looks deliberate.

hope you don't mind a few alterations. Anyway you nailed it: the Rangers outplayed us [again] - Mason stole the game.

No problem. I saw a quote by giroux where he alluded to it was good they were going back to NY as the pressure would be less there. I might have took it out of context, but it sure sounded Lindros-esque deer in the headlights. 

As far as VLC what can we say? The guy is a shadow of his former self. It's almost like he's boycotting the game, staging a little 1-man protest. I swear sometimes it looks deliberate.

I wouldn't go that far.  I don't believe it's deliberate.  I just think what we see is the product of injuries and mileage.  But no problem; we have him for 4 more years.

I wouldn't go that far.  I don't believe it's deliberate.  I just think what we see is the product of injuries and mileage.  But no problem; we have him for 4 more years.

20/20 hind site, but what did we need another center for? Especially a 4m per year one???

20/20 hind site, but what did we need another center for? Especially a 4m per year one???

Oh believe be Van, you don't have to convince me.  I was vocal about this acquisition from the get-go, as I believe many posters were.  I thought this was the year Laughton should've been given an opportunity.  This was one of the most unnecessary and stupid acquisitions Homer has made over his tenure, and God knows, he did make plenty of those.  There was aboslutely no reason to sign VLC...  And people wonder why we haven't won in almost 40 years.

I was stupid enough to believe Vinny would be an offensive weapon for the Flyers. I wasn't wild about getting him, I just didn't mind it that much, thought it might be good for everyone to have him around. And because I had my doubts about Brayden Schenn (still do) I figured Lecavalier would center the 2nd line and let Schenn work the wing. I don't buy the whole "that stunts his growth" thing. In any case I thought if he stayed healthy he'd give the Flyers a good 1st year at least - maybe 25/25, maybe better - along with the Cup experience, the years of leadership...etc.

I was kidding when I said he's deliberately hurting the play. But let's face it those float shifts he's known for, the ones he'd take a couple times a night, they're now the norm. Maybe Meltzer is right, maybe all he's good for now is standing outside the dot and slapping the one-timer.

Vinny Lecavalier on the 4th line. I never thought it would come to that.

@canoli

Well, why not?  Did the Flyers ever cease to amaze? This team was absolutely terrible on the defensive side of the puck in 2013, so they went out and signed an aging, injury-prone, over-the-hill center to $4.5 mill/year, adding a NTC to his contract... so that he could play on the 4th line averaging 8 minutes a game.

This is what happens when you have a senile and arrogant I-know-it-all prick running the team.  Disgusting.

so that he could play on the 4th line averaging 8 minutes a game.

I thought you were kidding... and it appears you were, but not far off.

He's averaging 11 minutes per game. Our prized offseason UFA signing is also -4. In just 11 minutes per game.

Wow.

I didn't think Homer could top the Bryzgalov gaffe, but this one is giving him a run for his money.