McPhee and Oates Out of Washington

hf101

Big, big changes coming,  as the Capitals announce that they will not renew the contract of GM George McPhee and that Adam Oates will be removed as head coach.

http://capitalstoday.monumentalnetwork.com/2014/04/26/capitals-announce-changes-to-front-office-and-coaching-staff

Any ideas as to who are the replacements?

True, but Ovechkin didn't trade Erat for Forsberg either.

Oh, no doubt. I don't feel bad for McPhee, although I didn't envy his position either. Oates got a bum deal though.

You already agreed with the delusion thing so I don't elaborate since I know you got it

Any ideas as to who are the replacements?

Without reading the responses yet.....hmmmm....who can handle Ovie. I was going to say Trotz would be the front runner, but not so sure he wants to sign up for the gig. 

It will start with GM anyway. 

Without reading the responses yet.....hmmmm....who can handle Ovie. I was going to say Trotz would be the front runner, but not so sure he wants to sign up for the gig. 

It will start with GM anyway.

Trotz would be my first guess

The inmate is in full control of that asylum.

While I agree with regime change, I guess they have decided that they can not cut the Ovie anchor. 

Now, McPhee was not only GM, but President also. So, it will be interesting to see if they bring in a trio or run the gamut of dual role single person of President / GM. I personally believe in checks and balances and am not a supporter of President / GM autonomous responsibilities. 

Wow. Oates had a love in with Ovechkin and all it managed to do was get him fired when the great eight did not put out like he should have. I like Oates, hope he gets another chance somewhere down the line and learns from coddling the superstar. I hope the next coach is the biggest jerk in hockey.

Oh, no doubt. I don't feel bad for McPhee, although I didn't envy his position either. Oates got a bum deal though.

You already agreed with the delusion thing so I don't elaborate since I know you got it

I agree on the bolded.

McPhee's time as Washington's GM has simply run out...time for someone new, with a different approach and fresh take on what that team needs in order to remain competive.

Smarter signings need to be made and it was pretty clear that McPhee just wasn't getting it done on that front.

True, players need to execute on the ice, but really, it falls on the GM to get the RIGHT mix of players so that they CAN execute on the ice.

Which leads me to Adam Oates.

In addition to being a good player himself, the guy was also a team leader when he played. I don't think we have seen all he can do as a bench boss.

Many Lightning players credited Oates with being a positive influence on their careers when he was an assistant coach in Tampa Bay.

He has a very workmanlike attitude towards the game of hockey and just seems like a guy who perhaps just needs a bit more experience as a coach to fully show what he can do.

Tough to do when you have the circus sideshow that is superstar Alex Ovechkin and the 'defense-is-less' Washington Capitals.

Maybe Oates being let go by the Caps is a blessing in disguise for him.

If he wants to continue coaching, he may be able to get a minor league head coaching job, or go back to being an assistant coach for an NHL coach with an organization who has their affairs in order, which in turn, should help Oates' own development as a coach, which should lead to him eventually getting and succeeding in a future NHL head coaching job.

I like Oates, hope he gets another chance somewhere down the line and learns from coddling the superstar. I hope the next coach is the biggest jerk in hockey.

This is the rub. And I am really torn. Perhaps this is why I like Berube thus far. He seems stern, yet supportive and completely transparent. I am not convinced (despite the comment by hommer that he is the smartest man in hockey) in an x/o's sense that he is all that he is. But I do believe that kind of coach would be good for Washington. 

I did not follow much of Washington this year, but certainly know that Oates did coddle and protect Ovie. To me, thats a mistake. Its fine to give him a leach, but the player has to know its going to be yanked from time to time when x player goes astray. 

The problem is that nobody is going to want Ovie and his contract- aside from a lower tier team that is looking strictly at the marketing aspect. 

I guess at the end of the day, Trotz could do worse. He and Poile had such a great working repoire, that I think he is going to look for something similar. So, it will start with hiring Prez, then GM, then coach. 

but certainly know that Oates did coddle and protect Ovie. To me, thats a mistake.

in fairness to Oates it was the only card left in the deck. Hadn't BB tried pretty much everything else with #8? Somebody had to try Oates' approach, ill-advised as it seems. I give Oates credit for taking such a huge gamble, even if he was basically forced into doing it. If it had worked he would be heralded as a genius.

Is this a hockey forum or......??????  :ph34r:

:lol:  Very funny. I reread my comment, I see it could have come from penthouse forum, lol

"Slowly Oates reached out and touched his star player on the arm. "Oh Ovie, score for me wont you?"  he said as he batted his eyes.'

Ewwwww. :o

Trotz would have to be insane to sign up for the Washington gig. Washington os going to have to do 1 of 2 things...1) Overpay a lot for a coach that has a good track record  or 2) Give some wet behind the ears guy who is desperate to break into coaching in the NHL. No coach with any self respect is going to tolerate the crap from Ovechkin.

Sadly, I think the only way the Caps become a winner again is to somehow part with Ovie.  Now before you all bash me, think about it.  Ovie tries to be a one man show and hardly every skates back to get on defense.  For all the talent in the world that Ovie has, IMO, he is a cancer to the team.  You can bring in Scotty Bowman to coach this team, and unless you real in Ovie and get him to commit 100% to a system, the Caps will be a talented team going no where.

I get that Ovie is currently the face of the franchise and that he puts bodies in the seats, but at what price?  The Caps are not a horrible team and they have a wonderful and talented AHL team in Hershey.  When skates and puts forth the effort he can be a beast on the ice, but when starts playing lazy that whole team suffers.  Again this all my humble opinion.

Solve the the Ovie problem and you go along way to solving the Caps problem.  Now to find a coach who wants to deal with Ovie........well good luck.

Sadly, I think the only way the Caps become a winner again is to somehow part with Ovie.  Now before you all bash me, think about it.  Ovie tries to be a one man show and hardly every skates back to get on defense.  For all the talent in the world that Ovie has, IMO, he is a cancer to the team.  You can bring in Scotty Bowman to coach this team, and unless you real in Ovie and get him to commit 100% to a system, the Caps will be a talented team going no where.

I get that Ovie is currently the face of the franchise and that he puts bodies in the seats, but at what price?  The Caps are not a horrible team and they have a wonderful and talented AHL team in Hershey.  When skates and puts forth the effort he can be a beast on the ice, but when starts playing lazy that whole team suffers.  Again this all my humble opinion.

Solve the the Ovie problem and you go along way to solving the Caps problem.  Now to find a coach who wants to deal with Ovie........well good luck.

I agree about Ovechkin needing dealt (though it is probably impossible with his contract) but disagree with you on Hershey being a talented young team.  The 8 leading scoreres are all retreads from other organizations playing out the string. Michael Latta is a Meh player and probably the best forward prospect in the organization now that they have Kuznetsov has come over from Russia the cupboard is really pretty bare.

That is WHY I agree they should trade Ovie. Dealing him away could fill several holes and maybe net several picks.

I agree about Ovechkin needing dealt (though it is probably impossible with his contract) but disagree with you on Hershey being a talented young team.  The 8 leading scoreres are all retreads from other organizations playing out the string. Michael Latta is a Meh player and probably the best forward prospect in the organization now that they have Kuznetsov has come over from Russia the cupboard is really pretty bare.

That is WHY I agree they should trade Ovie. Dealing him away could fill several holes and maybe net several picks.

Yeah you got me there yave.  What I meant and did not type is that historically, Hershey has had good teams in which to feed to the Caps.  Recently, yes, they have marginal players.  Sadly I did not get a chance to make a few Bears games this year.  Usually I try to make at 4-6 games a year.  Did not realize how dire there farm team is.   Thanks for pointing that out.

Sadly, I think the only way the Caps become a winner again is to somehow part with Ovie. Now before you all bash me, think about it. Ovie tries to be a one man show and hardly every skates back to get on defense. For all the talent in the world that Ovie has, IMO, he is a cancer to the team. You can bring in Scotty Bowman to coach this team, and unless you real in Ovie and get him to commit 100% to a system, the Caps will be a talented team going no where.

I get that Ovie is currently the face of the franchise and that he puts bodies in the seats, but at what price? The Caps are not a horrible team and they have a wonderful and talented AHL team in Hershey. When skates and puts forth the effort he can be a beast on the ice, but when starts playing lazy that whole team suffers. Again this all my humble opinion.

Solve the the Ovie problem and you go along way to solving the Caps problem. Now to find a coach who wants to deal with Ovie........well good luck.

I've been saying this so no bashing from me. Best of all worlds for Washington is Ovechkin does a Kovy and goes to the KHL. Washington will do nothing until he's gone.

I have a hard time believing it would be via trade, though. Other GMs should be able to figure out he's a problem and the contract is prohibitive. So, to me, you hope for the KHL

• Like 1

in fairness to Oates it was the only card left in the deck. Hadn't BB tried pretty much everything else with #8? Somebody had to try Oates' approach, ill-advised as it seems. I give Oates credit for taking such a huge gamble, even if he was basically forced into doing it. If it had worked he would be heralded as a genius.

Good point. I hope Oats gets another shot. 

Very funny.

Glad to see you have a sense of humor. Sorry for your elimination today. I did not get to see the game. 

Truthfully, I think the wings shot their load in the first period of the last game. Kudos for a valiant effort against goliath. While the vezina is based on regular season, the way rask has played in the post season certainly makes one raise their eyebrows as to how good he is. 

I've been saying this so no bashing from me. Best of all worlds for Washington is Ovechkin does a Kovy and goes to the KHL. Washington will do nothing until he's gone.

I have a hard time believing it would be via trade, though. Other GMs should be able to figure out he's a problem and the contract is prohibitive. So, to me, you hope for the KHL

Kovalchuk jumped right before the new "understanding" between the leagues.

The KHL would take Ovechkin in a heartbeat regardless of the international play implications.

What's going to happen? They're not even going to medal in Sochi?

:ph34r: