Hal Gill #75 in your program #1 in your hearts

Samifan

What have gotten into some of you? Its one thing that Homer lost it, bringing Luke Schenn, Grossman,Hal Gill to the roster. But defending it and the choice to play Hal freakin washed up Gill is either plain stupidness or hockey ignorance. I dont know why Gus have falled.. but its the oganisations DUTY to set it straight becouse that kid is talended and a very good defenseman.

• Like 1

Thought this was interesting from Philly.com.

That bolded part sure sounds like a sharp barb aimed at Homer. I also assume that it's partly directed at the present and past coaching staff.

Do you agree with what Sielski is saying? 

But then, it's telling that he was on the ice at all. It took just one injury, to Nick Grossmann's leg in Game 4, for Gill to get into the lineup, revealing a lack of depth on defense that is debilitating in the modern NHL. If Berube believed he had no better options available to replace Grossmann, if a franchise can't acquire or develop a younger, more skilled defenseman to supplant Gill, then it has failed to recognize where games are won and lost these days, and that's a problem that goes beyond a single playoff game.

yeah I thought that article made some sense...till the end.

Sorry but it's not about "lack of talent" it's about the piss-poor execution. Not even one good game in 5 by the Flyers. A month ago they were beating (or skating even with) the best teams in the league; now they're pushed around by the mighty (yeahright) Rangers.

"Down in the third period, you saw the desperation," Flyers defenseman Andrew MacDonald said. "We need to see more of that."

MacDonald's right, and that's the most foreboding aspect now for the Flyers. They have to sustain over 60 minutes a pitch that a more formidable team can reserve for a game's most anxious moments.

Seems to me 99 times out of 100 the more desperate team wins in the NHL...and in the POs it's 100 out of 100. Sielski is implying there are these hugely talented teams who can reserve their desperation and 110% effort for the close games, whereas the lowly Flyers have to go full-tilt for 60 mins or else they don't have a chance.

Obviously the talent is spread unevenly throughout the league. But I don't buy this "Flyers aren't talented enough to compete" idea.

if a franchise can't acquire or develop a younger, more skilled defenseman to supplant Gill, then it has failed to recognize where games are won and lost these days, and that's a problem that goes beyond a single playoff game.

To this I say..."No freaking sh*it!!"  We've only been saying this for years, across multiple message boards.  If idiots like us can see, how in the hell can the "organization" not see it?

we do this every game w/ Schenn and Grossman... why stop now?

Yeah well as slow as they are Schenn is +1 and Grossmann is even....so the sloths are the least of their worries....its the big good skating Dman that scares me the most...........Coburn the turnover machine is -5 and the Rangers best weapon.

This is it in a nut shell the guy Berube is leaning on the most is laying a turd on the ice every chance he gets!!!!

That is the problem!

Kimmo is -3 so for now can we leave the slow moving yet playing better than most D man alone.

we do this every game w/ Schenn and Grossman... why stop now?

Fair enough, but those guys can skate like Scott Niedermeyer compared to Gill. If Johnny Oduya can play a regular shift for the Hawks and play well, there's no reason why a guy like Gus can't. He's quick and mobile and smart. Anyway, Hal Gill proved me right and I expect to see Gus in the line up tomorrow night.

I don't see it Podes. Sure he was partly to blame for that 3rd goal - I'd give him 10% - but mostly that was brainless, panicky Coburn's dumbass fault. He shoved a grenade into Gill's skates while Gill is standing 15 feet directly in front of Mason. Idiotic pass (and that's being nice calling it a pass).

Otherwise I saw him get beat once - didn't end up in the net b/c of Mason. I got nothing against starting Gus. I just don't make Gill the goat yesterday at all.

@canoli

Gill was -2 and earned those minuses. While I agree Coburn served him up a dud, Gill's lack of agility, combined with rust, meant he could not dig it out of his feet, or recover quickly to chase Moore down. In both cases, I think the younger more agile, less rusty, Gus would have done better.

The Rangers plans is to beat us with speed. So in response we put in the old geezer with feet of clay and leave an agile puck mover - and top plus/minus D-men in the press box? It makes no sense.

• Like 2

I see know reason for Hal Gill to ever suit up again for the Flyers, unless its a charity old timers game. If this was Homer's call, then I am officially swayed to the "Homer is an idiot fan club". I don't think the Flyers have enough to beat the Rangers the way the are both playing right now, and I am ok with that. I think they are a team on the rise with a good young core, and a good coach. I hope that smart moves will be made to cut the dead weight (Hal Gill), and possibly move on without Timonen. If Gus goes tonight, I hope he performs well.

• Like 1

What have gotten into some of you? Its one thing that Homer lost it, bringing Luke Schenn, Grossman,Hal Gill to the roster. But defending it and the choice to play Hal freakin washed up Gill is either plain stupidness or hockey ignorance. I dont know why Gus have falled.. but its the oganisations DUTY to set it straight becouse that kid is talended and a very good defenseman.

I agree with most of what you posted. But L. Schenn gets a pass for me on this topic at this point. He actually has been one of our best d-men this series. 

But, yeah, Gus should be playing instead of Gill. I don't give a rats ass about experience etc, regression, etc. At least Gus can skate. 

I have no love for Hal Gill; I thought we wasted a spot signing him. He didn't play great on Sunday but he wasn't terrible; he is what he is, steady, slow, calm. Games like tonight are why they signed him. I guess I understand Berube's decision to play Gus tonight - change it up, speed, mobility ... I just wish he would've thought of it before.