Habs. Bruins. Here we go Again

ihabs1993

Picture Goon

Scene: Doug Glatt and the Halifax Highlanders are hanging on to whatever is left of their postseason hopes. As the clock hits zero and chaos breaks out on the ice, Ross Rhea sits in a diner in St. John's, Newfoundland, knowing full well what happens next. Two unstoppable forces must collide. Only one can move on. He has to fight Doug "The Thug" Glatt.

Enter; reality

The Montreal Canadiens were in the very same position as Ross Rhea Saturday afternoon. While everyone knew that this meeting between the Habs and the Bruins was highly likely, if not inevitable, we now have closure.

The Boston Bruins and the Montreal Canadiens will meet in the Atlantic Division Final, in what promises to be the meanest playoff series in the Eastern Conference. 

This is the kind of story that keeps hockey alive. The two biggest rivals in the sport will face off on the largest stage that they have shared in quite some time.

Historically speaking, the Canadiens have dominated the series, with a record of 24-9 in 35 playoff meetings. However, the Bruins have gotten the best of the Habs as of late in the quest for Lord Stanley, with Boston capturing the last two series against Montreal. 

If there is any team in the league that can beat the Bruins, it's those pesky little Frenchmen. Montreal was 3-1 against the Bruins this season winning both games in Boston and one more at the Bell Center. The intriguing aspect of this match up is the goaltending situation for Montreal. Both games in Boston between the two clubs this year were played by Peter Budaj, the Canadiens' back up to Carey Price. 

Does Budaj start the series against Boston? His numbers against the Bruins in just this year alone are spectacular. In Boston, Budaj is an astounding 2-0 with only allowing 2 goals on 64 shots to finish with a .969 save percentage. 

Personally I think that Price starts game one against the Bruins and if he's terrible, Budaj gets the next one.

IF the Habs can take atleast one game in Boston, where they haven't lost since January 12th, 2012, they can win this series.

If Boston can take the first two games, this could be a quick series.

What do you think? 

Thanks for the read

Ian

ihabs1993

Picture Goon

Scene: Doug Glatt and the Halifax Highlanders are hanging on to whatever is left of their postseason hopes. As the clock hits zero and chaos breaks out on the ice, Ross Rhea sits in a diner in St. John's, Newfoundland, knowing full well what happens next. Two unstoppable forces must collide. Only one can move on. He has to fight Doug "The Thug" Glatt.

Enter; reality

The Montreal Canadiens were in the very same position as Ross Rhea Saturday afternoon. While everyone knew that this meeting between the Habs and the Bruins was highly likely, if not inevitable, we now have closure.

The Boston Bruins and the Montreal Canadiens will meet in the Atlantic Division Final, in what promises to be the meanest playoff series in the Eastern Conference. 

This is the kind of story that keeps hockey alive. The two biggest rivals in the sport will face off on the largest stage that they have shared in quite some time.

Historically speaking, the Canadiens have dominated the series, with a record of 24-9 in 35 playoff meetings. However, the Bruins have gotten the best of the Habs as of late in the quest for Lord Stanley, with Boston capturing the last two series against Montreal. 

If there is any team in the league that can beat the Bruins, it's those pesky little Frenchmen. Montreal was 3-1 against the Bruins this season winning both games in Boston and one more at the Bell Center. The intriguing aspect of this match up is the goaltending situation for Montreal. Both games in Boston between the two clubs this year were played by Peter Budaj, the Canadiens' back up to Carey Price. 

Does Budaj start the series against Boston? His numbers against the Bruins in just this year alone are spectacular. In Boston, Budaj is an astounding 2-0 with only allowing 2 goals on 64 shots to finish with a .969 save percentage. 

Personally I think that Price starts game one against the Bruins and if he's terrible, Budaj gets the next one.

IF the Habs can take atleast one game in Boston, where they haven't lost since January 12th, 2012, they can win this series.

If Boston can take the first two games, this could be a quick series.

What do you think? 

Thanks for the read

Ian

ihabs1993

Since 1988, the more modern era of hockey, the Bruins have won the meetings 7 series to 4. Montreal definitely had their number back in the day when they had a premium on talent before the effects of the draft prohibiting them from hogging talent began to take hold though.

Budaj? An astounding 2-0? :rolleyes:

Since 1988, the more modern era of hockey, the Bruins have won the meetings 7 series to 4. Montreal definitely had their number back in the day when they had a premium on talent before the effects of the draft prohibiting them from hogging talent began to take hold though.

Budaj? An astounding 2-0? :rolleyes:

I don't really care about looking back to 1988. I was only talking about the most recent series because those are the only ones that are relevant. On Budaj, can you think of any other goalie in the league who had two wins in two games against the Bruins? Not to mention the fact that he's a back up goalie. Say what you want about my word choice, but Budaj has the Bruins' number!!!!! 

Lets look back to the late 60's and early 70's for God's sake.  If you are not aware of this you are not a hockey fan.  Those games and series were as classic as classic gets.  Boston had Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Cheevers, Bucyk, etc and Montreal had the likes of Jean Beleveau, Yvonne Conier, Savard, Lapperiere, Lamaire, itc.   When Don Cherry came along they had O'Reilly, Milbury and the Canadiens had Guy Lafluer (one of the best wingers to ever play), Larry Robinson and those series were classic and just terribly unlucky for Boston.  

I expect this one to go 7.  Maybe OT in 7.  I cannot seperate them.  i have the Rangers finding a way to beat the winner.

Oh nostalgia... For sure, this is going to be a long series. You might be right about the Rangers because whatever team comes out of this series is going to be beat up and injured. 

this is one of my favorite non-rooting interest rivalries.

the fans hate each other , the players hate each other, the colors of the uniforms clash, it is playoff hockey at its most primal. 

looking forward to it.

I can't wait to watch this one!  The Bruins get two Original Six teams in a row.  I was pulling for the Wings against the Bruins (and I was visiting my family in Michigan during the series) and will likely be cheering for the Habs in this upcoming series (although I would like to see a Hawks-Bruins rematch if both teams make it again).

Does anyone have dates for this epic showdown yet?

League will unveil the schedule in it's entirety later today but we know that game one is Thursday at 7:30 EST and game two appears to be set for Saturday at 12:30!!! Keep checking the NHL site today to find out when the rest of the series is! Good luck Topher!! GO HABS GO :lol:  :lol: