St. Louis Blues a year in review

yave1964

PRESEASON OUTLOOK

Outstanding. The club felt this was their best chance at a cup possibly ever and with cap room to get aggressive with it seemed the regular season was a formality towards April, May, and possibly June.

FINAL RECORD 52-23-7 111 points 3rd in the West

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR

In 39 games at home T.J. Oshie had 40 points. In 40 games on the road he had an anemic 20 points.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON

March 17th The Blues and Goalie Ryan Miller beat the Winnipeg Jets for their 7th win in 8 games with Miller in net. They sat at 47-14-7 and ran Millers record with the Blues to 7-1. The presidents trophy seemed assured.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON

from that point on the Blues stumbled and bumbled and punted the Presidents trophy away, going 5-9-0 down the stretch including losing their final six games. They lost the division title to the surprising Avalanche and it left the Blues on a collision course with the defending champion Hawks.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

T.J. Oshie established himself (21-39-60) as a star type player as well as a shootout God and American hero in Soshi. Alex Steen (33-29-62) had a career year. Jaden Schwartz and Vladimir Taresenko established themselves in the nhl. David Backes was solid as the captain and a hard hitter. Kevin Shattenkirk (10-35-45) and Alex Pietrangelo (8-43-51) were a dynamic 1-2 punch from the defense.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Chris Stewart before being dealt was not good. Derek Roy (9-28-37) lived in Hitchcocks doghouse. Patrik Berglund took a step back. Steve Ott was just plain awful after coming over from the Sabres. Ryan Miller was not the great goalie the Blues were hoping for.

MVP

Pietrangelo. He could take over a game with puck possession and defense reminding me of Nick Lidstrom in his youth.

UFAs

Ryan Miller

Brian Elliot

Brendan Morrow

Steve Ott

Derek Roy

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS

What to do about Miller? Resign him or look elsewhere? How do you recover from such a disappointing postseason again? Can STeen repeat?

Your take on Steve Ott is absolutely ridiculous.  He did what he is supposed to do.   Get under the other teams skin.  Of course he is not a scorer.  He did not lose the Chicago series.  And Neither did Miller. Hitchcock had no plan on offense.  He will be gone IMO.  Along with the list of UFA's above.  I hope Murray brings a couple back if no big offers come in and they are willing?  If the Ducks do not offer Miller a contract, we should offer him a fair contract along with Ott while we rebuild this team with youth.  Roy also.  Bring them home and have them wear the jersey they would rather be wearing.

Junkie,

Ott was bad with the Blues. Zero goals and a -12 in 23 games on a team that scored way more than they gave up. I am not the only one who says this, I love Ott, a faceoff king who brings grit and scores a little but the fact is whether you want to admit it or not that he did not fit with the Blues. Nobody said he lost the series against the Hawks but facts are facts, 20 plus games zero goals and a huge minus player, very un-Ott like. Again, I like the guy but he absolutely sucked with the Blues. Look at the numbers pal.

Edited by yave1964