Here's the crazy thing...

brelic

The Blues have three Norris candidates on their blueline.

The Flyers have none.

The Blues have Miller.

The Flyers have Mason.

The Blues have Oshie, Backes and Steen.

The Flyers have Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds.

The Blues have a Stanley Cup winning coach.

The Flyers have a former enforcer.

The Flyers are still playing hockey.

The Blues are golfing.

I guess the Blues show that even when you think you have all the elements for a Cup, there's still no guarantee. You have to want it more than anyone else, and you have to know how to get it.

This is in response to the other thread (magnumpi, I think). I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again: I will take the Flyers playoff record and appearances over the past decade over a Stanley Cup and 7 or 8 playoff misses and a first round exit. 

Am I the only one?

The Blues have Oshie, Backes and Steen.

The Flyers have Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds.

flyers > blues on this one.

I guess the Blues show that even when you think you have all the elements for a Cup, there's still no guarantee. You have to want it more than anyone else, and you have to know how to get it.

yup.  plus need some luck.  the blues didn't have any this time out.

I will take the Flyers playoff record and appearances over the past decade over a Stanley Cup and 7 or 8 playoff misses and a first round exit. 

Am I the only one?

nope, not the only one.  i agree completely.  would love for the flyers to win a cup, but being able to root for my team in the playoffs every year is more important to me.  last spring was terrible.

flyers > blues on this one.

I think so too, but many people pointed out that we needed a guy like Steen. And, really, Backes is a pretty special player. Can put up points, hits like a freaking truck, and has a really nice snarl to his game. Kinda like the Pronger of forwards.

The other thing to consider is this is Steen's first 30+ goal season. He had two 20+ seasons before. And he's 30 years old.

So, it's not a stretch at all to think that Voracek, Simmonds, Giroux, AND Schenn could hit that plateau IN THE SAME SEASON given a few more years together as a core. They're all in their early to mid-20s. 

This is what growing pains look like.

nope, not the only one.  i agree completely.  would love for the flyers to win a cup, but being able to root for my team in the playoffs every year is more important to me.  last spring was terrible.

I know. It was such an empty feeling at the end of last year where we missed the playoffs, and didn't have a top 3 overall pick. It was like.. "what was the point of that??"

That being said, I'm ready for Hextall as GM. The Vinny signing was kinda the last straw for me with Homer. Just absolutely useless and out of left field. 

Keep the core, minimal changes, keep the coach, change the GM. 

The only players I would absolutely try to move in the offseason are Vinny and Luke Schenn or Grossmann.

The Flyers are still playing hockey.

The Blues are golfing.

That's primarily a trick of the schedule at this point - we'll see what happens in the Flyers' Game 6. I, for one, expect them to force Game 7 and "anything can happen."

I will take the Flyers playoff record and appearances over the past decade over a Stanley Cup and 7 or 8 playoff misses and a first round exit.

Would I rather be the Flyers than the Blues? Absolutely. But that's not really a fair comparison - and the Blues don't have a Cup, 7-8 playoff misses and a first round exit. Of Cup winners, even the Ducks have only two DNQs since the 04-05 lockout (as do the Flyers). The primary difference between the two is the 06-07 Cup vs. the 09-10 Flyers' loss.

The only real example of what you speak is the Carolina Hurricanes. I don't know anybody - not even Hurricanes fans - who really appreciate five consecutive missed playoffs following a sweep at the hands of the Pens.

But the comparison, for me, isn't "are they better off than crap teams" - because they undeniably are - it's are the competitive with Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston? Those are the measuring sticks in the current league - not what happened in 05-06 or 06-07 (or 74-75...).

One would always rather have playoff hockey, and I've said many many times that for the Flyers, making the playoff should be considered a "given" and not an "achievement." They are a young, developing team and have a lot of potential. How they react to this adversity and how they play next year will be important steps along the road.

• Like 1

That's primarily a trick of the schedule at this point - we'll see what happens in the Flyers' Game 6. I, for one, expect them to force Game 7 and "anything can happen."

Yes, I know. I was being mostly facetious :)

The only real example of what you speak is the Carolina Hurricanes. I don't know anybody - not even Hurricanes fans - who really appreciate five consecutive missed playoffs following a sweep at the hands of the Pens.

The Bolts have missed the playoffs 5 times (out of 9 seasons) since their 2004 Cup. The Stars have missed the playoffs 5 times (out of 9 seasons) since the lockout. The Kings missed the playoffs 4 times (of 9 seasons) since the lockout. That would be 6 straight misses if we include the two seasons before the lockout. Of course, they are now trending upward, but the point is the same.

But the comparison, for me, isn't "are they better off than crap teams" - because they undeniably are - it's are the competitive with Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston? Those are the measuring sticks in the current league - not what happened in 05-06 or 06-07 (or 74-75...).

These teams - the Hawks (missed 9 of 10 seasons leading up to 2008-09) and the Pens (missed 4 straight seasons AND finished at the bottom in years with Crosby and Malkin) - have had to suffer through years of futility to get where they are now.

The exception to that are the Bruins, who have only missed the playoffs twice since the lockout. 

Of course I'm not concerned with what happened in 74-75 (other than the obvious last Flyer Cup :), but what happened in 05-06-07 is absolutely relevant, because those are the draft picks and players that have matured and blossomed on those teams. 

I realize you guys are talking "big picture" here but can I direct your attention for a moment to this season please? Didn't we beat those 3 teams this year at least once, or come as close as you possibly can without an actual win (the SO loss to Boston)?

So my question is - what the hell is going on now in this series? There is no way the frkkng Rangers should be out-classing us in every department (except maybe goaltending, where Lundy has looked pretty average imo).

I realize you guys are talking "big picture" here but can I direct your attention for a moment to this season please? Didn't we beat those 3 teams this year at least once, or come as close as you possibly can without an actual win (the SO loss to Boston)?

So my question is - what the hell is going on now in this series? There is no way the frkkng Rangers should be out-classing us in every department (except maybe goaltending, where Lundy has looked pretty average imo).

You're absolutely right. I don't get it either. One factor is surely the sideways play going into the playoffs... 4-5-2 in our last 11 games. I see the same elements in this series that I did in those 11 games. Sloppy passing, poor breakouts, uneven offensive zone pressure, etc. 

But what else is going on? Did they overachieve for such a long period of time that they've got nothing left for this season?

Great post Brelic and as you noted there are no guarantees but I do think you can improve your chances with the right Players.   That is the watermark for this season with the Flyers in my opinion.    What could be considered the nail in the coffin the game on Sunday spoke volumes about where this Team is right now and where it is going in the future.  

After a dismal start this Team found a way to make it to the playoffs which I think is a great step forward.   Before training camp started I had the Flyers missing the playoffs but they found a way to get it done.   Getting into the playoffs with this roster frankly surprised me and G made good on his prediction.   I still think this Team is a young Team that is transitioning – an unfinished product if you will.   With that being said there are pieces that I like and think the Core still needs to develop.  

I think Cooter could be a Selke candidate in a few years, Akeson shows promise, Raffl proved that he belongs and is a very nice player as he can move up and down the lineup and still be effective.  My biggest question remains B Schenn.  Truth be told he frustrates me more than any Player on this Flyers Team.   There are moments of brilliance but longer stretches of average/below average play.   The number one question I have is B Schenn worth the investment for the future or a better bargaining chip if a viable trade came along?   I really have no answer for this and that is frustrating…

Outside of Cooter, G, Jake, Simmonds, and possibly Read I think everyone is fair game if the right trade came along.  I am not talking about blowing the Team up here either.   This Team needs a true scoring threat outside of G and Jake.   Someone that knows how to put up points consistently and knows how to finish.  

The defense is still in a dire need of an upgrade.    Streit and A MacD are not going anywhere and I still refuse to believe that Gus can be counted on as an everyday Player.   Outside of Streit, MacD I think Coburn is the only one that should be considered a lock to be on the roster next year.  

Truthfully, I think this series was a tough matchup from the start.   The Rangers are superior in nearly every facet of the game:  Goalie, Offense and Defense.   It is great that we have a slew of 20 goal scorers but the offense is feast or famine and that has been the case for a while.   We have “nice” Players but we need one or two game changers that will force Teams into playing a different defense.  Essentially, all you need to do is take away Giroux and let the rest of the Team beat you.   This will not work in the playoffs and this series is proof positive.  

At the end of the day they exceeded my expectations this year and I commend them for sticking to the program and turning the season around.   The real work begins after the season is officially over.   We have a good young core and it is nice to know that we actually have some decent defensive prospects for once.   A couple of moves (the right moves!) and this Team can be a contender in the future.  

Not sure if anyone saw the philly.com article by Sielski but I thought it was dead on:   http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140428_Rangers_are_simply_more_talented.html

The “Rangers are simply more talented” than the Flyers.  End of story…

• Like 1

The “Rangers are simply more talented” than the Flyers. End of story…

Lotta tommyrot and hooey if you ask me. Hogwash. Balderdash. Poppycock. Out and out Hokum!

That is I think I ... disagree / Let me take you down cuz I'm going to ...

because those are the draft picks and players that have matured and blossomed on those teams.

Well, sure, and that's what they are expecting of Giroux. And of the players drafted after that that they traded the picks that did win the Cup for.

The Flyers are right where they should be - looking to make some noise in the playoffs but coming up against tough, experienced opposition.

Sure - they need to grow into a team that plays better than the Rangers on the ice as well as appearing to be a better team "on paper." With "any given Sunday" teams can beat teams in the regular season - and even take a game or two from them in the playoffs. But winning a seven game series against them is something else entirely.

I think the Flyers beat the Pens this season, for example. Because they are seriously inside the Pens' heads. But the Bruins? Blackhawks? That's a horse of a different colour. Those are actual Championship teams.

I'll say it again - the problem is the anemic power play that is so freaking predictable that everyone knows what they are going to do before they do it.

• Like 1

the thing that keeps going through my mind is "tortorella followed by vigneault".  the rangers have a good squad, but that's really all you can say.  they are a bunch of multitools who know how to lock down the ice in front of their goalie, make gaining the blueline a pain in the ass, and counter attack ferociously.  the first two are classic tortorella, the last signature vigneault.  there is nothing on that roster that should frighten anyone, but they are playing their game almost perfectly.

At the end of the day they exceeded my expectations this year and I commend them for sticking to the program and turning the season around.   The real work begins after the season is officially over.   We have a good young core and it is nice to know that we actually have some decent defensive prospects for once.   A couple of moves (the right moves!) and this Team can be a contender in the future.

Nice post, MC. And I agree with this sentiment... they exceeded my expectations for this year. It's not over yet, so we could have even more hockey to enjoy. :) But just making it to the playoffs and being such a fun team to watch from December to April was a treat.

Nice post, MC. And I agree with this sentiment... they exceeded my expectations for this year. It's not over yet, so we could have even more hockey to enjoy. :) But just making it to the playoffs and being such a fun team to watch from December to April was a treat.

I know is sounds like I am flip-floppig here but I would not be shocked if they ended up going to 7 and winning it.   Would I bet on it?  No!  LOL!

In the end I do not think the Rangers are head and shoulders above the Rangers.   I do think the Rangers are a slightly better Team but do not expect the Rangers to go anywhere if they were to win the series.   At least we get one more game!

murraycraven, on 28 Apr 2014 - 1:00 PM, said:snapback.png

In the end I do not think the Rangers are head and shoulders above the Rangers. 

I wonder how they would stack up against the Rangers? Hmmm. :P

I think the Rangers would expose the Rangers weakness and the Rangers would def come out of this in 7 games. But, they'd be beaten and bruised. 

• Like 1

the thing that keeps going through my mind is "tortorella followed by vigneault". the rangers have a good squad, but that's really all you can say. they are a bunch of multitools who know how to lock down the ice in front of their goalie, make gaining the blueline a pain in the ass, and counter attack ferociously. the first two are classic tortorella, the last signature vigneault. there is nothing on that roster that should frighten anyone, but they are playing their game almost perfectly.

THIS.