And exhale...

B21

Pretty easy analysis. They went into "play not to lose" mode way way WAY too early. You could just see it on the PP (when Columbus scored the shortie to make it 4-1).  The worst part was - it looked like the strategy and not the players thinking it was in the bag.  That gave Columbus some life.  Next thing you know a puck goes in off Dubinsky's arse to make it 4-2 and away we go.

I'll take it though. Survive and advance.

@B21

Malkin finally awakens... Just as usual in time for round two. But like you said, Bylsma drops the old prevent anything good defense on the ice and the allow 3 goals. How stupid is his defense first?? Well the other team can't score when the puck is in their net, so why don't we keep trying to put it there???

• Like 1

@B21

Malkin finally awakens... Just as usual in time for round two. But like you said, Bylsma drops the old prevent anything good defense on the ice and the allow 3 goals. How stupid is his defense first?? Well the other team can't score when the puck is in their net, so why don't we keep trying to put it there???

4-0.  Most unsafe lead in hockey.

From the "glass is half full approach"...

- At the end of the day, most people predicted the Pens in 5 or 6 so from that angle the Pens did what they had to do. For every lead they pizzed away, they also managed to come back from one.

- Just recalling some of the hits statistics put up between periods, I wouldn't be shocked if we were outhit 2 to 1. Maybe even 3 to 1.  We took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.

- They won w/o a single goal from Crosby and with Malkin not scoring in 5 of the 6 games.  How's that for depth? 

- No retaliatory penalties. Perfect example...the Foligno roughing call.  He whacked Jokkinen after the play.  He didn't get the reaction he wanted there so he gave a shove to someone else (I can't recall who the Pens were).  The Pens just skated away.  The result? PP.  PP Goal.  2-0 lead. Crowd deflated.

- Fleury rebounded nicely after Game 4.

@B21

I have never understood that mentality on the part of a coach - especially in the playoffs.

Win 12-3. Who cares? Who'll be offended? The Blue Jackets? Boo hoo.

When you have your boot on the throat of your opponent, you don't let them up.

You dig the skate in.

I thought he (Sidney Jonas) was marvelous in the last 2 minutes of that game, he single handedly kept the puck in the CBJ zone for 35 seconds or so when their net was empty all he didn't do was find some one to finish for him.

I thought that was gutsy play.  I thought he did a great job of not blowing up with Dubinsky in his sweater for 22 minutes a night for two weeks, even though he didn't score he didn't lead his team down the **** hole like he has in years past. 

I don't relish having CBJ in the division as I think they are a team on the rise, that was a tough series but was won by the team with the better players.

@mojo1917

I thought that was gutsy play.  I thought he did a great job of not blowing up with Dubinsky in his sweater for 22 minutes a night for two weeks, even though he didn't score he didn't lead his team down the **** hole like he has in years past. 

Lead by example.  I made sure to pay attention when he and Dubinsky shook hands.  Looked like Crosby gave him the "man-it-sucked-to-play-against-you" smile.

I don't relish having CBJ in the division as I think they are a team on the rise, that was a tough series but was won by the team with the better players.

The Met could use another good team.