In what universe is this a goal not disallowed?

J0e Th0rnton

I think there was a strong wind.

Seriously though, Williams is falling kind of the opposite direction as he's poking for the puck. How much does Stalock weigh? 15 lb?

I would have understood a wave off. I'm okay without one. I really don't think this is a Brett Hull / Leon Stickle moment.

This is a Terry Murray (choking) moment.

@J0e Th0rnton

My turn now. ;)

Every analyst, former senior referee and even the kings announcers agreed it should have been no goal. All day today.

Yes, the puck is, as I said, under Stalock's left skate, but unmoving. Williams, had no vision of the puck(He said so himself), so he pitchforked a single hard thrust on Stalock's thigh to force him backwards(Which is goaltender interference, as every analyst today said). His stick at no point touched the puck that he could not see. it did not even get close to the puck, which was far back in his skate unmoving, and did not get bumped in until the thrust shoved Stalock backwards.

I don't care if Williams can't see the puck.  He knows the whistle hasn't yet blown which means he's free to try and poke at the loose puck which he does know is somewhere in/around/under/behind Stalock.  What's important is that the official could see the loose puck behind Stalock so that play is continuing until something knocks the puck into the net, Stalock realizes where it is and freezes it or the Sharks' d-man pins the puck against Stalock's pads ('freezing' it that way).  "Hard thrust" is a bit of an exaggeration, too.  Williams' stick is clearly between Stalock's pads.  Like @ruxpin said, does Stalock weigh 15 lbs?

69.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgment of the Referee(s), and not by means of video replay or review.

"....such contact is initiated outside the goal crease".  Only Stalock's skates are in the crease when Williams takes his poke at the puck. The contact itself is initiated outside the goal crease.  I'll even argue that "intentional or deliberate" doesn't fly because Williams is clearly trying to make a play on what he hopes is the puck.  There is no way you can tell me he's trying to force Stalock into the net in hopes he knocks the puck in as well which makes the contact incidental i/m/h/o. 

That is pretty black and white to me given the video shows him lunge his stick into the top of Stalock's pads at thigh level and shove him backwards. Stalock did not magically hover backwards and the puck was stationary until Stalock was shoved.

He doesn't lunge. He (Williams) is actually getting knocked backwards. He doesn't shove either.  He takes a poke between Stalock's pads (not thigh level) with his stick on the ice.  Not that I blame you but exaggerating the events by using "shove" and "pushing" and "thigh level" makes it seem more likely that Williams intent was to force the goalie into the net which is not the case.  As I said before, Williams did what every NHL player does in that spot. 

i think as soon as he started stabbing at the goalie, the official should have blown it dead. he wasn't stabbing at the puck, just the goalie.

he obviously couldn't see the puck, as he was stabbing the middle of the goalie, not where the puck was.

these situations are far too crucial to let a garbage play like that stand, there is no reason to stab at the goalie when you don't know

where the puck is, if he had blown it dead, there would not have been the backlash from l.a. as it would have looked like a reasonable

call by the official, but the other way around it does not.

@Polaris922 is right on this.  The official can clearly see the loose puck from where he is standing.  You simply do not blow a play dead in that spot.  It doesn't matter that Williams didn't know the puck was behind and not under Stalock.  99 times out of 100 that puck is under the goalie so he takes a chace and takes a poke between Stalock's pads hoping he can knock the puck through.  Happens all the time.

It is a gargabe goal in the sense that it wasn't pretty but it's a legal goal i/m/o.

So you want them to whistle dead a loose puck??

puck wasn't' totally' loose, and official must whistle down goalie stabbing as it happens, and not just stand there and watch

illegal play continue.  if another l.a. player was stabbing a san jose player at that time,or any illegal hit,  a penalty would be called, irrespective of  where the puck is, and whistle would be blown, and if puck had of gone in the goal while he was blowing the

whistle, he would have called 'no goal'.  he wasn't stabbing at the puck, it was the goalie, that is the difference, in my opinion.

I just watched this again.  I didn't bother with the youtube in this thread because I'd seen it earlier today and saw the gif.  But I just watched the youtube clip.

This really isn't a pitchfork situation and he really is just poking at the puck.  Stalock is clearly moved by it, but I don't think the Sharks really have a lot to whine about here. 

You still have to keep playing afterward, and they folded the tents.

They didn't lose this game because of this goal.  They lost this game and WILL lose Game 7 because they are the Sharks.

I'm not sure, actually. If the ref saw that the puck was loose, then the whistle should not be blown. Definitely.

However, pushing Stalock back with his stick is still cause for disallowing the goal. I think Joe has a point here. You cannot (and should not) be able to push the goalie and have the puck go with him. I'm guessing Mr. Lee believed that it was poked in, and not that Stalock was pushed back to knock it in. If that's not the case, he's doing it wrong.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Kerry Freakin' Fraser. As if that guy knows anything about fair reffing.

#BitterLeafsFanFromSomethingThatHappenedWhenIWas6ThatINeverSaw

I'm not sure, actually. If the ref saw that the puck was loose, then the whistle should not be blown. Definitely.

However, pushing Stalock back with his stick is still cause for disallowing the goal. I think Joe has a point here. You cannot (and should not) be able to push the goalie and have the puck go with him. I'm guessing Mr. Lee believed that it was poked in, and not that Stalock was pushed back to knock it in. If that's not the case, he's doing it wrong.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Kerry Freakin' Fraser. As if that guy knows anything about fair reffing.

#BitterLeafsFanFromSomethingThatHappenedWhenIWas6ThatINeverSaw

This was my first take on it as well. To be honest, I could easily argue on either side of this. But watching Williams falling the opposite direction... I don't know. Clearly, the goalie slides backward but I really don't understand how Williams was able to get much "oomph."

I think the call could have legitimately gone either way (and been met with consternation either way).

@Podein25

Obtuse?? I can see the puck in a GIF on an iPhone screen. You're insulting me for something we can see plain as day?? You cant see that you need gpasses. It's a loose puck. It gets pushed into the net without Stalock on top of it. Williams clearly stabs between the pads like every other forward to play the game. Stalock's skate hits the puck and pushes it in as much by his own closing of his legs as anything else. Goals are scored off goalies all the time, this is no different.

I feel this is far from the worst goal / no goal call of this round of playoffs, which goes to the Bolts getting ****ed on a game tying goal vs Carey Price.

I agree. To me its a bang bang hockey play. I feel Joe's pain, but don't agree regarding bad call / goal.