Game 7!

brelic

They did it! And I called a 5-2 win in one of the threads :)

What a different team on the ice last night. In fact it looked like TWO different teams. The Rangers didn't look nearly as sharp and dangerous as they have been all series (though I did miss most of the 3rd, where I see they peppered Mason with a bunch of shots). 

You know what? I think the pressure is on the Rangers tonight. They had the series lead, and couldn't close it out. The Flyers are the underdogs gaining momentum from Game 6. Flyers have nothing to lose.

My prediction: Flyers 3, Rangers 2.

Streit gets the GWG.

GO FLYERS!

Wow..is all I can say.  If they skate the way they skated last night, I really like our chances.  Just stay out of the penalty box.  Yeah, I agree @brelic, I think the pressure is on the Rangers.  This series has gone back and forth for 6 games now.  They proved in Game 2 that they can win at MSG.  Gonna be a great game tonite.

Flyers 4 Rangers 2 (Simmer, Read, Coots and "G" with an empty netter to seal the deal)

• Like 1

Thought this was an interesting stat:

Henrik Lundqvist and Steve Mason each played four games on zero days rest this season. Mason 4-0-0 .908 Lundqvist 1-3-0 .879

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

All the pressure is on the Rangers.  Home, higher seeded, had a chance to close it out.

Flyers skated like they should have been all along.  High energy puck pressure caused quite a few turnovers for the Rangers.

More of that and tonight should be a great game. 

It's going to be a long day at work today.

I think that all the momentum is with us now, that the Rags have serious doubts as we destroyed them last night.  We showed that if we are on our game they cannot contain us.  MSG and Queen Henry are beatable too.  We take this one going away tonight and get to face our favorites next!

Well, if we can just strike the 1st period out of our memory (the period in which the Flyers must have set the record in turnovers), this was as dominating two periods of hockey played by the Flyers as I could remember.  What a difference it makes when you actually SKATE, eh?

And this is where it hit me as I was watching the game.  As much as we talked about this being a bad matchup for the Flyers and how good of a job the Rangers did by taking the space away and cluttering the neutral zone, when… WHEN the Flyers skate, they can actually beat that trap (or whatever the hell it can be called).  Problem is, it is hard to sustain that kind of pressure.

The play of Mason was absolutely sick.  But I wonder if he can come up with two consecutive performances like that.

But I just have mixed feeling about tonight.  I think the Rangers will come out storming at MSG.  I am just concerned with the Flyers’ slow and turnover-prone defense, we may not be able to withstand the pressure.  The Rangers can really win this game as early as the first period.  If the Flyers can make it less lopsided and at least make an effort to skate the way they skated in the last two period of Game 6, anything can happen.

Edited by Mad Dog

Key to the game: VLC only on the 2nd power play unit. Does he even get the concept of back checking? Has anyone informed him that he should still pursue the puck after it passes the red line? Okay, I am done bashing the guy, but between that and the fifteen passes before they decide to shoot mentality is mind numbing. 

However, this is going to be a battle tonight and I hope last nights Flyers team shows up. I am not sure if Henry is going to have bad outings back-to-back, but then again anything is possible. 

I can foresee a cautious chess match for the 1st period, but the first team to score is going to change all that. 

GO FLYERS!!!

Edited by Bertmega

As much as we talked about this being a bad matchup for the Flyers and how good of a job the Rangers did by taking the space away and cluttering the neutral zone, when… WHEN the Flyers skate, they can actually beat that trap (or whatever the hell it can be called).

and when a systems team's system is beaten...they panic.  the question for tonight is:  do the rags come out calm and confident and reassert their game plan, or do they come out frazzled thinking they need to find new answers?  if the former, the flyers are going to have to work harder than last night to re-break the rangers.  if the latter, should be another fun one. 

• Like 1

and when a systems team's system is beaten...they panic.   

Exactly. Which is why I said in some of the previous threads that up to Game 6, Alain Vigneault was the Rangers' MVP, while Berube seemed utterly outcoached.

What the Game 6 showed me is that the Rangers are not the Devils of the 2000's. I don't know how the Devils did it, but that team didn't deviate from the system AT ALL. Every single game and every single series they stayed true to that system. The Rangers showed me they finally cracked. Was the game 6 an anomaly or did The Chief finally figure out the key to success?  We’ll find out tonight for sure.

• Like 1

Exactly. Which is why I said in some of the previous threads that up to Game 6, Alain Vigneault was the Rangers' MVP, while Berube seemed utterly outcoached.

What the Game 6 showed me is that the Rangers are not the Devils of the 2000's. I don't know how the Devils did it, but that team didn't deviate from the system AT ALL. Every single game and every single series they stayed true to that system. The Rangers showed me they finally cracked. Was the game 6 an anomaly or did The Chief finally figure out the key to success?  We’ll find out tonight for sure.

I think getting the first goal is key to putting some doubt in the Rangers heads and taking the MSG crowd out of it.

The Flyers need to slow the game down in the first 10 minutes. Get whistles on purpose, shoot on Lundqvist so he makes the save and get an offensive zone faceoff. Those are all things that take the crowd out of it and prevent the home team from gaining momentum.

Keep the lines the same.

Chief can protect Schenn , Simmer and Hartsy by putting them out in offensive zone start situations, and there is no answer for those guys in the league... they play really ******* heavy....Raffls skating makes Jake and G more dangerous, he is not a first line player ordinarily but with the Rangers speed it's a better match up

Couturier better not turn the puck over like he did last night in the first period or we'll all get sick of that stupid goal song they play at MSG.

Stay out of the box, don't buy into Dorsette , Pouliot and Boyle's baiting , they are pretty good at that , god do i hate them so they must be.

I like the character our group has shown this year, regardless of tonit'es result i think this has been a good year of growth/maturation for this group ..

My prediction is 4-2 Flyers. Read, Giroux (with the game winner in the 2nd), Simmonds, and Timonen with the goals. Giroux is first star with a goal and an assist. The power play wins it for them, going 2 for 4.  The key in this is getting the first goal and taking the Rangers slob fans out of it a little bit. Make Lundqvist think to himself early about the line from the Pink Floyd song "Brain Damage",  "There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

• Like 1

They did it! And I called a 5-2 win in one of the threads :)

What a different team on the ice last night. In fact it looked like TWO different teams. The Rangers didn't look nearly as sharp and dangerous as they have been all series (though I did miss most of the 3rd, where I see they peppered Mason with a bunch of shots). 

You know what? I think the pressure is on the Rangers tonight. They had the series lead, and couldn't close it out. The Flyers are the underdogs gaining momentum from Game 6. Flyers have nothing to lose.

My prediction: Flyers 3, Rangers 2.

Streit gets the GWG.

GO FLYERS!

Man i am stoked and ready for game time it can't get here soon enough. Mason sporting a nice 939% so far in the playoffs...i hope he can play like that gain tonight and give them a chance. You'd have to think the pressure is off the Flyers and on the Rangers now...12 straight losses after leading in a series going for 13 tonight.

Love the line changes it was surely a spark....would still have like to have seen Laughton inserted instead of Zac but i can live with that performance.

The insertion of Gus was nice and what a timely goal for him serves Dorsett right after that Sidneyesque head fake on the high stick and then for Gus to score icing on the cake!

Now can we just leave Gus alone and just let him find a comfort zone???

Roll this lineup again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mason was outstanding again....he gave them a chance after that first period...who knows he suits up for game #3 instead of Emery series may have been over last night...guess we'll never know.

Rangers played their best game of the series game #1 Flyers played their best game game #6...like the way its trending!

Flyers undefeated in 2014 playoff eliminations games so far!!!! 1-0!!!! 2nd game 7 tonight!

Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

Thought this was an interesting stat:

Henrik Lundqvist and Steve Mason each played four games on zero days rest this season. Mason 4-0-0 .908 Lundqvist 1-3-0 .879

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is an awesome stat keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

• Like 1

Raffls skating makes Jake and G more dangerous, he is not a first line player ordinarily but with the Rangers speed it's a better match up

No but he ups the puck possession time dramatically he knows how to hold onto it almost to a fault...next step is to teach him to fire it on net but baby steps i guess plus he bought time with the puck and didn't panic like Hartnell and just fire it into a Rangers skates or just fall down....so it's kind of what i envisioned. Just keep it going.

Rangers are doubting themselves now.

Flyers 4-2!!!!

Wow, I thought *we* were hard on our team! This is from HFBoards:

I've been overly confident about the Rangers before game 6. No more of that. I'll go full apocalypse mode with this post. Don't take it too seriously, I'm just trying to ban any negativity that could possibly surround this team into my posts. If anyone has a shot at this it's me. I'm from Vienna and we drink negativity with our tap water. Lets go.

The only hope I have left for this team is Mats Zuccarello staring his own teammates down one by one, so they'll accept him as their alpha-male and do exactly as he says.

First off, let's start with the elephant in the Room. Hank. He continues to get outplayed by goalies who make a fraction of his salary. Neuvirth. A back then scrubby version of Varlamov. Holtby. Anderson came damn close. Ancient Marty Brodeur. Now Steve Mason, who was out of the NHL with one and a half feet, if Holmgren hadn't been desperate. I'd rather start Talbot. He didn't give up a single goal last game.

Then our defense. No one can finish a hit, no one can contribute anything offensively. That's a department the Flyers are better, offensive defensemen. Timonen, Streit. That's a dimension of offnese the Rangers just don't have. We're also getting outmuscled by the Flyers' attackers. Say what you will about Stu Bickel, but his bench sitting skills took us to the ECF. McDonagh hasn't been playing well at all this series. Stralman had his weaknesses. Klein and Moore can't get the puck out of our end.

And now the biggest trainwreck, our forwards. First, there's Rick "I think I've played well in the playoffs" Nash. I can't wait for the day where we either trade this lazy bum or when his contract runs out. Then there's Marty "oh noes, so heartbreak with Stevie" St. Louis, who hasn't done much in blue. Then there's Brad Richards, who's basically a surefire buyout at this point, but is no doubt gonna get hurt badly in this game (which by the way will be the last this season for the Rangers). Then Derek "I'm bold enough to hold out here a little longer" Stepan. What a joke of a season he's had. Brassard is invisible in the playoffs, Miller isn't gonna sniff the NHL anytime soon, Carl Hagelin is a headless chicken and Benoit Pouliot is back to his early-season ways. Boyle can't skate, Fast isn't toff enoff, Dom Moore looks creepy, Derek Dorsett is an idiot and Carcillo is ugly. So there's that.

But it doens't stop here. Vigneault is too occupied with chewing gum to make any adjustmenst during the game, let alone the series. Arniel (along with Nash, Brassard and Moore) brought the Blue Jackets losing mentality with him, and Samuelsson focuses on being swedish.

Our GM is a joke, anyone knows that, so I won't discuss it here. Then there's our drafting, which sucks as well. We could've had Tarasenko people, TARASENKO! Dolan doesn't know **** about hockey either.

This franchise is doomed, the picks we traded to Tampa will turn into modern era Orr and modern era Gretzky. Book it.

The game ends 6-1 Flyers, btw. ZUccarello with our only goal, Hank gets pulled after 8 minutes. Philly is going to be up 4-0 at that point.
  • Like 1

The Flyers need to slow the game down in the first 10 minutes. Get whistles on purpose, shoot on Lundqvist so he makes the save and get an offensive zone faceoff. Those are all things that take the crowd out of it and prevent the home team from gaining momentum.

i think in this case it is a little bit opposite.  these guys are working off the defensive systems tortorella preached for years...but he hasn't been there to pound them in for a season, and isn't there is get them back on track if they start to stray.  make no mistake, the defensive excellence we saw in the first several games was not vigneault, it was residual torts.  the faster the game goes, the messier it gets, the less the script will be followable.  a slow, grinding game plays into their script, chaos rips it apart.  last night, it was the flyers coming at them hard and denying the rangers predictable situations blew it open.  the less often the rags know what is going on, the better.  a faceoff heavy start may take the crowd out of it, but it puts the rangers themselves on familiar footing.

Well, if we can just strike the 1st period out of our memory (the period in which the Flyers must have set the record in turnovers), this was as dominating two periods of hockey played by the Flyers as I could remember.  What a difference it makes when you actually SKATE, eh?

And this is where it hit me as I was watching the game.  As much as we talked about this being a bad matchup for the Flyers and how good of a job the Rangers did by taking the space away and cluttering the neutral zone, when… WHEN the Flyers skate, they can actually beat that trap (or whatever the hell it can be called).  Problem is, it is hard to sustain that kind of pressure.

The play of Mason was absolutely sick.  But I wonder if he can come up with two consecutive performances like that.

But I just have mixed feeling about tonight.  I think the Rangers will come out storming at MSG.  I am just concerned with the Flyers’ slow and turnover-prone defense, we may not be able to withstand the pressure.  The Rangers can really win this game as early as the first period.  If the Flyers can make it less lopsided and at least make an effort to skate the way they skated in the last two period of Game 6, anything can happen.

period 2 and 3 were the Flyer's A game. I've been saying it all along, we haven't seen much of their A game this series. That also might have been the Rangers first time showing their C game this series. Good combo for us!

Tonight.. it's hard to know what to expect. I mean, I want to think we have all the momentum, but yah... I think we'd all feel a lot better if this was a home game. I'm sure the Rangers are really gonna bring it 1st period, so we'll have to weather that storm. 

Last night was just wild, though. It almost looked as if the Flyer's finally figured something out about the Ranger's 'system'. I'm pretty optimistic for tonight. 

I hate to say it, but I think we're due for an OT (or 2OT) to decide this series.

How about a 2-1 nail-biter with someone unexpected scoring the game-winner/series-clincher?

Maybe Brayden Schenn?

Edited by AndyS

That certainly was a "different brand of hockey" from the Flyers last night.

The thing that stood out for me, primarily because I've been harping on it, is that they had significantly more movement with the puck. There wasn't a lot of standing with the puck and shoveling at another guy standing waiting for the puck. Movement opened up space to get the puck down low to Simmonds who then smacked in a few rebounds.

Exactly what they need.

They need to bring that effort and that play to New York tonight and they can take this series.

It's really that simple.

• Like 1