Columbus Blue Jackets year in review

yave1964

PRESEASON OUTLOOK

Along with the Wings the Jackets moved to the East and after missing the playoffs on the last day of the season last year hopes were high.

FINAL RECORD

43-32-7 93 points 7th in the East

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR

Dubinsky was a God at home with 35 points in 37 games but he forgot to eat his spinach on the road with a measly 15 points in 40 games.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR

Matt Calvert scored an overtime goal to beat the Penguins in game 2 of the playoffs. It was the first EVER playoff win for the franchise after 4,493 days of futility.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR

A wretched start to the season. Nearing the halfway point of the season on December 19th the club was 14-17-4. On January 4th they sat at 18-20-4 thru 42 games with 40 to go. The playoffs looked like a dream with 11 teams ahead of them.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON

The next three months were the best three months in organization history as down the stretch they went 25-12-3 for 53 points in a half a season to make the playoffs comfortably.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Ryan Johansen established himself (33-30-63) as the face of the franchise and a overtime and game winning king with 5 GWG in the last six weeks. Bob overcame a slow start and was white hot down the stretch. James Wisniewski (7-44-51) was a power play king with 28 power play points. Brandon Dubinsky (16-34-50) was a fiery leader and my 12 year old daughter declared him as her hero. She even wears his jersey to school. Cam Atkinson scored 21 goals. Jack Johnson looked overjoyed playing in Columbus. Arten Anisimov with 22 goals was hot as a firecracker down the stretch. Nick Foligno (18-21-39) hit everyone and everything.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Marian Gaborik was meh until being donated to the Kings. Nathan Horton had only 5 goals in 36 games. Blake Comeau had only 5 goals. Overall, the team was not really disappointing in any area.

MVP

Johansen was a star, especially the second half of the season. He became the face and the heart of the franchise with a breakout season.

UFAs

Nikita Nikitin

Derek MacKenzie

Blake Comeau

OFFSEASON OUTLOOK

The club was among the leagues elite for the second half of the season, can they keep it up next year? Will a full season of Nathan Horton, hopefully injury free be enough to move Johansen to another level? Will Ryan Murray take a step up?

I enjoy these @yave1964

CBJ feels like a team on the rise, I think they "won" the Nash trade.

Thanks Mojo! I enjoy the freedom to do these on here. Not certain how many people read them but I write them as much for myself as anything else. I do hope they are entertaining for whoever does look at them tho.
  • Like 1

@yave1964

Another great writeup yave. Johanson is one of my favorite young players in the league. He was THE guy (or Brayden Schenn) I wanted for Carter.

And I'd say you deserve some MVP nominations yourself. You've been a huge addition to this board.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

@Polaris922

Thanks guys, the number one reason I love this board is the literary freedom to write anything I want within the context of Hockey. I love the sport, lets face it we all do or we wouldn't be in here. I appreciate the compliments guys, doing things like these write ups has helped me learn even more about the game.

• 5 weeks later...

OFFSEASON OUTLOOK
The club was among the leagues elite for the second half of the season, can they keep it up next year? Will a full season of Nathan Horton, hopefully injury free be enough to move Johansen to another level? Will Ryan Murray take a step up?

Rumor.........

Here's a juicy one: R.J. Umberger to Edmonton for Sam Gagner. It's out there, and it makes a lot of sense ... on paper. Gagner has backpedaled since a strong start of his career, and the Oilers would love to get out from under his $4.8 million cap hit and his $5 million salary the next two seasons. As you may have read in this space previously, Umberger requested a trade at his year-end meeting with coaches and management. He has three years remaining at $4.6 million per season. 

Not a bad swap i say....change of scenery couldn't hurt these guys.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2014/05/a-collection.html