Fairwell Fairweather

My Fair Lady....you looked good from afar, but when I needed you, you were nowhere to be found....

Fair Well....

How much is inexperience and how much is desire. You can teach inexperience, but you can't teach desire; few on this team show this.

Who's on the hotseat now....I call shotgun.

I will blame some of it on inexperience.  This team is very young and it is Berube's 1st PO.  They didnt match up against the Rags well and still could have beaten them.  The D sucks and is our biggest problem at the moment.

Congrats posters, the team made it to the playoffs. The thing is if we had not made it to the playoffs. What's the difference from a first round exit and not making it in.

Look at the other teams that didn't make it to the playoffs; how critical should their fans be: on the coaching staff, the players or their culture?

We started out a mess, and finished the season making it to the playoffs. Some posters didn't think they would make it that far.

From our Hockey state of things, we need to look at the positives, look at our numbers/contracts, forcast our yearly cap and further improve our team.

I am hoping some of our minor league defensive players make it to our roster next season. 

I will blame some of it on inexperience.  This team is very young and it is Berube's 1st PO. 

Interesting, I blame the old and experienced defense.

We're simply not there yet. I'm concerned because moves like assigning VLC make that curve longer. He, in particular, was ridiculous in these playoffs.

I think our youth isn't quite there yet and our expensive vets are past their utility. I actually don't think we're that far away.

Anyway, I'll take in the playoffs vs. Missing them. It was fun

• Like 2

Ya missing the playoffs would of really sucked alot, and being swept would of been like going to a party and sitting in the corner all night wishing for it to end...

Alot of valid points. We gave away our playoff strengths and veteranship for youth. (we lost clutch playoff players: Danny, Gagne, Jagr, etc.) We had too much youth(2nd year rookies) last year and didn't make the playoffs(though I think had it been 82 games, it might of been a different story). We needed vet players: forwards and defensemen. We accomplished that this year, though they weren't probabely the right positional veterans to have. A Vinny type player that played wing would of better served us better ala' Jagr than Vinny, though on paper Vinny was a good catch, just not the catch we needed. We need a balance of youth and veterans, to complement their positions, not competeing for the same position that's all.

Edited by LegionOfDoom

Look at the other teams that didn't make it to the playoffs; how critical should their fans be: on the coaching staff, the players or their culture?

I don't pin this on berube, but he was out coached. 

• Like 1

I'm concerned because moves like assigning VLC make that curve longer.

I will drive him to anywhere he wants to go in a beat up van with no heater / air con. 

Timmo- I will rent a charter plane and give him a nice hand shake for his service. 

Too many causes... Inexperience is surely one of them.  Coaching was substandard.  The defense was simply abysmal. Coburn, Timonen and McDonald were horrendous from start to finish.  The team needs at least 2 quality defensemen, which is probably impracticable.

Coburn, Timonen and McDonald were horrendous from start to finish. 

Yup. I didn't like the MacDonald signing when it happened, and I like it even less now. He was playing big minutes (second only to Streit last night) and he was exposed all series long. Then again, so were all of them. But the front office thinks MacDonald is something he's not. 

What do you call that when you do the same thing over and over and expect a different result? ;)

you call that Ed Snider!

Yep. Pretty much. People should look no further than The Old Man.  It probably starts sounding like a broken record (I know it is), but really... as long as he is calling the shots (no pun intended), the Flyers will never approach to winning the Cup.  His arrogance and complete disconnect with the reality will always prevent this team from reaching its goal. 

It is sad.

Insanity!

DING DING DING!

Lunatic scores for a case of Tastykakes!

PS - Living in Canada, my friend and I have never had a tastykake. We don't even know what they look like or what they are. But every time the Flyers score a goal, we'll text each other with "TASTYKAKES!!" My 5-year old daughter even gets in on it now. :)

PS - Living in Canada, my friend and I have never had a tastykake. We don't even know what they look like or what they are. But every time the Flyers score a goal, we'll text each other with "TASTYKAKES!!" My 5-year old daughter even gets in on it now.

Tastykakes-1.jpg

http://www.tastykake.com

Edited by JackStraw

I blame maturity. In some cases not enough of it, in others, too much. Actually, I don't blame, I just identify as the cause.

Berube is a good coach in his first season and playoffs. The core of the team is young. The veterans, way too old.

In the second period there were too many no look passes to nobody and no real intensity. They lagged back, got lackadaisical and got beat. In the third, they simplified things and look to be the dominant team. It was too little to late though.

I don't know where they go with VLC, and once again I am not even remotely thrilled with Scott Hartnell. But it is time for Timonen to hopefully retire. I am sure they have a desk with his name on it as VP scout in charge of talent development in far east countires south of Greenland.

A common gripe on this forum has always been to let the youth develop and don't rush to bad decisions. The team can do that now. They can hopefully make a few moves to upgrade and let this young talented coach have a chance to mold a young talented team

• Like 1

We're simply not there yet. I'm concerned because moves like assigning VLC make that curve longer. He, in particular, was ridiculous in these playoffs.

I think our youth isn't quite there yet and our expensive vets are past their utility. I actually don't think we're that far away.

Anyway, I'll take in the playoffs vs. Missing them. It was fun

This might sound like a dumb question, but I can assure you I'm totally serious. When's the last time or how often do these signings really hurt us? I mean when has money actually been the reason they couldn't get a player they needed/wanted? Vinny was a bad signing, I'm not debating that, but they could still afford him after overpaying for guys like Briere, Hartnell, or Timonen (in either amount of money or length of contract). And after Vinny, they could still afford to sign MacDonald to too much. Before some dope says that I said that approach isn't a problem, I'm not saying it. I'm saying that we always find a way to afford who we want.

I don't think we are either. I think they need a few veteran pieces. What I wouldn't give to see Pronger and Jagr on this team, because that's exactly what I think they need. They also need some size. They're too small and the Rangers bullied them throughout the series.

Agreed. Not only was it fun, it was progress. This is not "another missed opportunity", this is a young team starting to establish itself. It sucks that they played poorly last night, but after missing the POs last year, firing their coach this year, and really establishing a young core this season, this is without a doubt a step in the right direction. Anyone preaching "40 years!" need some perspective today.

• Like 1

you call that Ed Snider!

I don't like scapegoating. I think it's shortsighted. There's never one person to blame for everything.

But that doesn't mean there can't be one person who has the most blame and that is sure as **** the old man! I'm going to go on record right now and say that if they fire Homer any time soon, nothing will change unless the old man allows Homer, a new GM, or anyone else to do their job. These contract signings, the length and the money of them, they are without a doubt the doing of the old man. We know him and moves like that have his signature all over them.

Is it too much to ask for the old coot to go on a racist tirade? It would be for the good of the team.

I think that's the only shot we have, because we all know he's going to live to be 120, and still running the team from his hospital bed. He will never voluntarily give up the team.

And as much as I want him out, I fear for what happens when he is gone. I don't want Jay Snider anywhere near this team ever again.