Kings comeback, what does it mean?

yave1964

The Los Angeles Kings down 3 games to none just a week ago looked dead in the water before the combo of Kopitar, Doughty and Quick proved too much for the Sharks and the Kings came back to become only the fourth club in NHL history to win a series after being down 0-3. What happened to the clubs who were involved previously?

2010 FLYERS COMEBACK AGAINST THE BRUINS

The Flyers were dead in the water, no goalies left standing and down 3-0 before the most unlikely of comebacks against the Bruins. The Flyers went on to defeat Montreal in the Eastern conference finals and lose to the Hawks in the Stanley Cup finals.

The Bruins came back the following season to win the Stanley cup championship.

1975 NEW YORK ISLANDERS DEFEATED THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Chico Resch led the Isles in a comeback against the Penguins down 3 games to nil, the final game was a 1-0 gut wrenching tilt. The Isles went on to fall behind in the next round 3-0 to the Flyers, coming all the way back to tie before losing in game 7. They built on this series and within the next few years were a contender and by 1979-80 they began a run of 4 consecutive championships with most of the players who were on this club still intact.

The Penguins, well back then they were the Penguins. Not much was expected of them and not much was delivered in subsequent years.

1942 TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS DEFEATED THE RED WINGS IN STANLEY CUP FINAL

The Wings were up 3-0 and simply fell apart, badly. Game five they gave up 9 goals, games six and seven they scored a total of 1 goal total as the Leafs won the cup.

The Wings went on to bounce back and win the Stanley cup championship the following year sweeping the Bruins after finishing with the best record in Hockey.

So in short, the Flyers lost in the Stanley cup finals, the Leafs won the cup and the Isles built on this to begin to put the pieces together of their eventual dynasty.

What surprised me is all three teams which were defeated came back to have strong regular seasons with 2, the Bruins in 2011 and the Wings in 1943 capturing the cup. Maybe it makes a team a bit hungrier, it might make a player find another gear come postseason, I don't know.

what does it mean?

It means the San Jose coach will lose his job and that Junkie's prediction picking the Kings was correct  :wacko:  

Junkie, like a blind squirrel or a stopped clock has to be right every now and then. :lol:

Junkie, like a blind squirrel or a stopped clock has to be right every now and then. :lol:

Sadly, I know. Can't wait until he starts pounding his chest this morning about the Flyers/Rangers series as well......

Edited by Samifan

It means that Jonathan Quick regained his mojo whilst Niemi and the Sharks searched in vain to regain theirs. The Kings never stopped playing, unlike the Flyers who decided to phone in their final game. :angry:

It means that Jonathan Quick regained his mojo whilst Niemi and the Sharks searched in vain to regain theirs. The Kings never stopped playing, unlike the Flyers who decided to phone in their final game. :angry:

I gotta disagree about the Flyers phoning it in. I seldom if ever agree with Doc Emrick but he hit the nail on the head last night, the Flyers players were attempting to do too much individually, rushing the net, not looking for the pass, pressing for the tying goal and trying to individually do too much and not working cohesively. Like I said, Emrick, like Junkie is right every now and then and that is what I noticed as well. Voracek or Giroux would get the puck and try to go through three guys rather than draw a crowd and pass the puck to the open wing.

This is something the captain or the coach should have addressed. After Carcillo (!) scored the Flyers seemed to press all night. Giroux in the locker room or the Chief on the bench should have dealt with this. Not saying they would have won but they were completely different than they were in game 6.

To answer "What does it mean?"

It means the Kings field a damned good team that shouldn't ever be counted out. That's what it means.

Wasn't a mistake they won a Cup just two short seasons ago and made another good showing last year.

They still have the youth, personnel, playstyle, and goaltending to continue to make post season runs....and look out if they can't pull off another Cup while they are at it too....

I, like many, wrote off the Kings once I saw that a very good San Jose team had them down 3-0...but now I see, much like I never really write off teams like the Bruins and Blackhawks, or up until recently the Red Wings with their 20 year run of excellence....to NOT COUNT OUT THE KINGS!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26