Torts to be let go by Canucks

nossagog

Never was a fan of Tortorella, the guy just seemed like such an over the top guy that loved to be in front of a camera making pretty senseless statements.  Bye Fonzie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450923

What a terrible match he was for this team. He tried to get the Sedin's to play his brand of hockey, instead of adapting to the talent he attempted to get the team to adapt to him. He has to be out of chances by now, isnt he?

Its official......

Canucks fire coach Tortorella, assistant Sullivan

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=717399&navid=nhl:topheads

The Vancouver Canucks on Thursday fired coach John Tortorella and assistant coach Mike Sullivan.

"Today we are making an important change in the direction of our team," president of hockey operations Trevor Linden said. "On behalf of the entire organization, we extend our thanks to John, Mike and their families for their commitment to the Canucks and wish them the very best.

"We have a lot of important work to accomplish this offseason as we build our management and coaching staff, improve our roster and connect with our fans. Our general manager search is well underway and we will begin assessing head coaching candidates immediately."

Vancouver signed Tortorella to a five-year, $10 million contract after being swept by the San Jose Sharks last spring and firing coach Alain Vigneault. Tortorella had been fired by the New York Rangers after they were eliminated in the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs; he wound up being replaced by Vigneault in New York.

However, the Canucks struggled with injuries and inconsistency and they failed to make the playoffs, finishing eight points out of the second and final wild-card spot in the Western Conference with a 36-35-11 record. After the Canucks were eliminated, they fired general manager Mike Gillis and hired Linden.

Tortorella was suspended for 15 days after confronting the Calgary Flames outside their locker room after a brawl in a Jan. 18 game in Vancouver. He missed six games during the suspension, which barred him from contacting the team before, during or after games.

In parts of 14 NHL seasons coaching the Rangers, Canucks and Tampa Bay Lightning, Tortorella has a 455-367-37-82 record. He led the Lightning to their only Stanley Cup, in 2004.

Torts is definitely the quintessential taskmaster....who eventually can wear on his teams.

You see it in football, you see it in baseball...that one coach who, for the best intentions he has on getting his teams to compete, still manages to get to a point where he loses them.

For sure Coach Tortorella needs to modify his style just a bit...but by the same token, he IS a guy who can help right a ship...particularly if the team he is coaching is young, very inexperienced, and has seen nothing but losing in recent memory....hmmm, the Florida Panthers sound like a good match for him.

If a team is willing to give Torts another shot, then I think a young, mold-able team like Florida could be the ticket.

I would put a team like Edmonton in there as well, but the Oilers CLEARLY do NOT have the personnel or history to play the type of defensive, grinding, in-your-face style that Torts demands....the Panthers, on the other hand, have been at their best when they WERE just that.

For a guy like John Tortorella, getting established vets (even those he helped bring along, like he did in New York) to go along with his almost "Do as I say without question" college coach type mentality, IS a challenge.

With younger players? Well, they are more apt to follow his lead and become men in the NHL. They may rebel against Torts later, but well, that is the kind of coach he is.

Unless, again, he makes some coaching style adjustments.

Seems the guy understands that...he admitted that publicly....then of course, he goes and tries to attack the Calgary coach........

I, too agree that the match of Torts in Vancouver was ill-advised for similar reasons why he wouldn't match up well on a team like Edmonton, Montreal (he doesn't speak French does he!? ;)  ), or any other that puts a premium on more finesse play and/or has too many vets to tolerate his 'college style'....AND that would require MASSIVE personnel overhauls to make Torts work well with them.

Make no mistake though...Torts turns 'boys' into men and takes 'woe is me' franchises and turns them into aggravating and abrasive thorns in the sides of the opposition...he did it with the Bolts, did it with the Rangers, unfortunately, he won't get the chance to do it with Vancouver.

Not sure how soon he may get another coaching chance, but a combination of a desperate, hapless team and Tortorella's own willingness to bend some on his style, could go a long way towards him evolving as a coach.

If a team is willing to give Torts another shot, then I think a young, mold-able team like Florida could be the ticket.

I want HBO 24/7 on reuniting Torts and Luongo :D

That said, Florida would be a perfect fit.

Make no mistake though...Torts turns 'boys' into men and takes 'woe is me' franchises and turns them into aggravating and abrasive thorns in the sides of the opposition...he did it with the Bolts, did it with the Rangers, unfortunately, he won't get the chance to do it with Vancouver.Not sure how soon he may get another coaching chance, but a combination of a desperate, hapless team and Tortorella's own willingness to bend some on his style, could go a long way towards him evolving as a coach.

How about back in New York in Brooklyn?  :blink:

@radoran

You mean with the Isles in their new arena and hopefully, new GM and ownership? Cooould be...

That WOULD make for a major media circus though...well, NY media IS a circus at any given time, but you get my drift... ;)

"Former Rangers coach, run out of town by own players, returns to exact revenge with hated rival Islanders"

Oh yea, media will eat that up.....could be some  very entertaining stuff for the fans too.....provided of course, Torts keeps his focus on the Isles and NOT on attacking Alain Vigneault or sabotaging any of King Henrik's Playgirl and/or GQ magazine endorsement opportunities... ^_^

@radoran

You mean with the Isles in their new arena and hopefully, new GM and ownership? Cooould be...

That WOULD make for a major media circus though...well, NY media IS a circus at any given time, but you get my drift... ;)

"Former Rangers coach, run out of town by own players, returns to exact revenge with hated rival Islanders"

Oh yea, media will eat that up.....could be some  very entertaining stuff for the fans too.....provided of course, Torts keeps his focus on the Isles and NOT on attacking Alain Vigneault or sabotaging any of King Henrik's Playgirl and/or GQ magazine endorsement opportunities... ^_^

If there is anything the Islanders are in desperate need of, it is a media circus.

Capuano is awful, but honestly I do not want Torts anywhere near my Islanders.

Honestly, why not?

I realize it's 'in vogue' to bash on John Tortorella, however, the bottom line is this:  he CAN take a  wretched franchise like the Islanders (and the Lightning and Rangers before that) and turn them into a competitive group at the very least, and perhaps a viable playoff and/or Cup contender at best.

A team like the Islanders has so many things wrong with it, I would think its fans would WELCOME anything and anyone that can move the team in the direction called "UP".

Whether Tort's methods are the best or not, he does get results, even if its in the short term.

Assuming he is brought on by the Isles, if he wears out his welcome later on, so be it....but most likely by that point, the team would be one that not only has solid personnel filling out the roster, but one that really has learned what it takes to win in the NHL...then the team can move on from there.

Again, starting with ownership, the Islanders are just plain awful and really the only direction they can move is upwards. How fast they get to doing that will depend on what decisions they make regarding their myriad of problems.

New owner, new GM, get the RIGHT coach....one who can take plain rocks and turn them into valuable stones LIKE a Tortorella...and this team may not be so bad in a couple seasons...in fact, they may be a regular contender for the playoffs.

Hey, for all I know, John Tortorella may really NOT be a good fit for the Isles. 

Maybe there is someone out there who can do just as good a job (if not better) without some of the off-the-ice stuff and taskmaster mentality.

But the way I see it, if no one else wants to take on 'Project NY Islanders' and Torts is available (and in fact WILLING to take that plunge), and I am an Islander fan, I am saying "Let's do this...I'm tired of seeing the Isles piss away chances to be a good team by mismanaging, miscoaching, and making terrible signing in regards to players."

Hey, for all I know, John Tortorella may really NOT be a good fit for the Isles. 
Maybe there is someone out there who can do just as good a job (if not better) without some of the off-the-ice stuff and taskmaster mentality.
But the way I see it, if no one else wants to take on 'Project NY Islanders' and Torts is available (and in fact WILLING to take that plunge), and I am an Islander fan, I am saying "Let's do this...I'm tired of seeing the Isles piss away chances to be a good team by mismanaging, miscoaching, and making terrible signing in regards to players."

This is spot on from where I sit.

Islanders have some serious top line talent, but need someone to make more of the 2-4 lines. Tortorella is a great fit in that regard.

I liked Snow for his silliness on the ice, but he can't put wings on his shoulders to make him a better GM in the NHL. His absolute bungling of the Vanek situation is a key case in point.

If they can sign Halak for 3-4 years at a good number for both sides and develop their team around a good system with a hard-nosed, demanding coach, that could work out well for the Isles.

And the move to Brooklyn will make them more valuable and a more attractive destination for many player: storied franchise, new arena, solid goalie, great captain.

That would be hilarious. Doesn't that brooks ("brooksie") beat writer also cover the Islanders. I could sell tickets to the announcement press conference!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting comments coming from Gary Mason of the Globe and Mail. 

Tortorella wanted the organization to buy out forward Alex Burrows. In 49 games during an injury-addled season, Burrows, 32,  had five goals and 15 points and has three more years left on his contract with a $4.5 million cap hit.

– Injuries were a big problem for the Canucks this season and they had to dip into the AHL ranks for help often. Problem there, according to Mason, was Torts never spoke once with Utica Comets coach Travis Green. It’s tough to know who you’ve got on the way up if you’re not discussing it with the coach and that put former GM Mike Gillis even more on the spot to try and help the team.

– Torts wasn’t one much for practices this season, apparently. Mason said players felt the coach didn’t have the team practicing enough during the season. He also accused David Booth of being late for a meeting he was early for.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/15/report-tortorella-wanted-burrows-bought-out-never-spoke-to-ahl-coach/

• 4 months later...

Archived