Round 2 - Penguins vs Rangers

hf101

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this playoff series?

Observation for today's game...

I watched Crosby doing his stick handling drill he always does for warmups... If his wrist was hurt it sure doesn't look it today. I always watch him do that warmup and his hand-eye-feet is unreal with the puck. If he's hurt there I can't see it. The guy is super-human in that talent. Maybe I can't see the difference in levels of amazing?

And the officials have chosen the Rangers as favorites in the first period. Horrible officiating and unusually all one way this game. The Jackets series it was bad both directions, but here they've tilted the ice. The Kunitz, Niskanen and Malkin penalties were all garbage. Though I'll grant them leniency on the Niskanen as Carcillo is a top dollar actor on the Broadway circuit.

The ref being in the way a few times I'll ignore too. Stuff happens.

Guess we'll see in the second if they're inclined to give a few back. Maybe watch some video during the intermission and see their mistakes? Lol.

0-0

Observation for today's game...

I watched Crosby doing his stick handling drill he always does for warmups... If his wrist was hurt it sure doesn't look it today. I always watch him do that warmup and his hand-eye-feet is unreal with the puck. If he's hurt there I can't see it. The guy is super-human in that talent. Maybe I can't see the difference in levels of amazing?

And he looked totally different in the first period tonight.  More energy, a couple of great chances with snap shots or hard backhanders.    He's looking much more like himself.

Chat????

But the Carcillo head snap(like he got hit with a baseball bat, or the Girardi hit where he goes down like he's dead on a rub out on the boards, is this what the NHL has come to?

At the game bud. Chat doesn't connect well in the Center!

And the officials have chosen the Rangers as favorites in the first period. Horrible officiating and unusually all one way this game. The Jackets series it was bad both directions, but here they've tilted the ice. The Kunitz, Niskanen and Malkin penalties were all garbage. Though I'll grant them leniency on the Niskanen as Carcillo is a top dollar actor on the Broadway circuit.

The ref being in the way a few times I'll ignore too. Stuff happens.

Guess we'll see in the second if they're inclined to give a few back. Maybe watch some video during the intermission and see their mistakes? Lol.

0-0

Well they could have called what looked like an obvious trip with the leg on McDonough while the pens were on a kill, but that goes un noticed sometimes. but the fact that Gibbons had the puck at the time, I was surprised.

Hey Polaris, we're wondering in chat how close you are to the guy with the annoying horn doing the Let's Go Pens tune.

That's Iceberg. Nobody is allowed to have air horns but him. Lol

Neal got two for exceeding the maximum amount if face washes received limits.

How does it look on tv bud? Here even ignoring the uneducated complaints over every little thing it still seemed the first was biased. The second they put the whistles away for the most part. I think they called Neal to punish Carcillo and didn't want the Pens to get a power play.

@nossagog

They finally conceded the Pens a power play or two, but they REALLY overlooked a lot. They overlooked a Neal trip though too. Finally had to start penalizing the Rags. I actually felt the league was trying to make it up to the Rangers for the scheduling.

I would hope they won at home vs a team that played its 5th game in 8 nights.    Are you kidding me?  And tonight no rest for the weary.  They must simply dig down and find the energy and they take out the Penguins.  The Rangers are just plain better

"Rangers still will smash the Penguins into pieces." - Rick

Keep up the good work!  With the success rate of your predictions on the Pens they'll win the Cup. ;)

Not sure I'll be around to chat or watch the game tonight, golf night. But I think the Pens come out with the same intensity the did all game yesterday. If the Rags don't score early, I think the Pens have the same kind of game as yesterday.

@nossagog

Pens win tonight.

@B21

Yay! Lol

@Hockey_Junkie

Lundqvist sure didn't look tired. Their coach made it pretty clear fatigue wasn't an issue. I think it's more that the Pens didn't have days to sit on their butts. That ALWAYS hurts speed teams. Please show me where the Rangers were the better team this year? I've got to hear this...

Edited by Polaris922

I would hope they won at home vs a team that played its 5th game in 8 nights.    Are you kidding me?  And tonight no rest for the weary.  They must simply dig down and find the energy and they take out the Penguins.  The Rangers are just plain better

@Polaris922

You mean this Rick? 

The Rangers are just plain better. - Rick

As for the game - I am still "glass is half empty".  This is a Rangers team playing it's 3rd game n 4 nights. The did hit 3 posts (though I counted 2 for the Pens).  The Rangers can't buy a PP goal. 

Come out and dominate again in Game 4 and I am sold.  A lethargic effort in Game 4 and....

As for the game - I am still "glass is half empty".  This is a Rangers team playing it's 3rd game n 4 nights. The did hit 3 posts (though I counted 2 for the Pens).  The Rangers can't buy a PP goal. 

Come out and dominate again in Game 4 and I am sold.  A lethargic effort in Game 4 and....

Blame it on the MSG scheduling, but not an excuse.  The Pens are playing better than the Rags.  And if the Rags can't score on the PP with the way the refs have called this series so far, they're in trouble.  Tonight was excruciating to watch with what they let go, and then call that weak call on Martin at the end, really? Whatever, a win is a win is a win.  6 down, 10 to go.

The Rangers are making it easy to defend against themselves..they haven't gotten pucks deep they never take the body on the forecheck ...do they even forecheck, I'll bet I saw 12 times where the rags had numbers and chipped the puck 4 feet behind the retreating pens defensemen who simply turn around and okay the puck...Fluery might not have to face a difficult shot 5 on 5 for the next two games...the rest of the series.

Blame it on the MSG scheduling, but not an excuse.  The Pens are playing better than the Rags.  And if the Rags can't score on the PP with the way the refs have called this series so far, they're in trouble.  Tonight was excruciating to watch with what they let go, and then call that weak call on Martin at the end, really? Whatever, a win is a win is a win.  6 down, 10 to go.

I don't have an issue with the scheduling - but that is a tired Rangers team out there.  The Pens are taking advantage which is what they should be doing...and what they should do in Game 4.  But I've seen this same team start a game with a "we-got-this-in-the-bag" mentality before against a weaker/lesser opponent. If they play the way they did in Games 2 and 3 (and the later parts of game 1) this series should be done in 5.  If not, this series will go alot longer than it shoud and once you give a team a window anything can happen. 

Not to mention, the should want to be as fresh as possible for Boston/Montreal.  You want every possible edge against either of those teams...especially Boston.  That means finishing the Rangers now...in 5 games.  Don't coast in Games 4 or 5 or 6 and force yourself to pull it off in a Game 7.

The opponent is on the ropes.  I want a KO.  Not a decision.

(Oddly, the entire time I was typing this I had that picture of sensei telling Johnny to "Finish him!")

What game did you watch?  Do you not see a team out skating and out shooting another team ?  And the team that is playing better loses due to a hot goalie and having to play so many games in 9 nights that it has not been done before. 

You mean the game where the Pens built a 2-0 lead and then went defensive to limit the chances that the other team had to outside perimeter shots? Yeah, that was the one that I watched.   You did notice that they sat back on both Crosby's and Malkin's time in the third period(neither was close to their normal time, Sutter had like 3 mins more than either), and leaned hard on the third and fourth lines to shut down NY, right? Or are your glasses adjusted to see just the stats that you want to see? This game was one of the reasons that they brought in Jacques Martin onto the coaching staff.  Get the lead, take the crowd out of the game, and make it a bore fest.  Its not exciting hockey, but it wins playoff games.

Yes, the Rags built a significant lead in shots on goal, partially due the 4 power play advantage that they had over the Pens. You would kind of figure that wouldn't you.  NY has played the series completely on the outside perimeters of the offensive zone, and is not getting any scoring chancs.  Is that the Pens defense or the Rags strategy?  0 for their last 30 power plays? Maybe that's part of the reason they are losing game.

I come on here and find 5 notifications. Lets be realistic. The Rangers outplayed them big time. Even being tired enough to bench 3 players. Having to play 6 games in 9 nights is just too much. Rested they will bounce back. Fluery all of a sudden remembers how to play the position? He can not continue this.

Okay let's be realistic.

The officials are more than compensating for the schedule. They're doing pretty much everything they can to give the Rags the advantage. But the Pens PK has shut down a very boring and stagnant Rags PP.

What I see is the better team winning. And winning in playoff fashion. Low % outside shots they give up all day. The Pens counterattack has the Rags playing dump and chase and they're just not built for it. They can't match the Pens forwards. And as shocking as it is, our defensemen have been stellar this series.