Round 2 - Penguins vs Rangers

hf101

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this playoff series?

Okay let's be realistic.

The officials are more than compensating for the schedule. They're doing pretty much everything they can to give the Rags the advantage. But the Pens PK has shut down a very boring and stagnant Rags PP.

What I see is the better team winning. And winning in playoff fashion. Low % outside shots they give up all day. The Pens counterattack has the Rags playing dump and chase and they're just not built for it. They can't match the Pens forwards. And as shocking as it is, our defensemen have been stellar this series.

I've been a little dissappointed in Scuds,  I don't think he's brough back the same intensity and mindset this go around.   He's making bad decisions and is weak on the puck.   Funny thing is they are playing well in front of MAF without Orpik in the lineup.  I said at the deadline that I would not mind seeing him go, and he's proving that he is not irreplacable.   I can't see how they could take Bortuzzo out of the lineup at this point. 

But then again, you never know what DFB will do.

I've been a little dissappointed in Scuds, I don't think he's brough back the same intensity and mindset this go around. He's making bad decisions and is weak on the puck. Funny thing is they are playing well in front of MAF without Orpik in the lineup. I said at the deadline that I would not mind seeing him go, and he's proving that he is not irreplacable. I can't see how they could take Bortuzzo out of the lineup at this point.

But then again, you never know what DFB will do.

Scuderi hasn't been the big factor he was years ago, but he's still been pretty solid in the corners. He's not a speedy guy but he's done well and not taken any penalties doing it. Not a big physical presence either, just steady on the puck.

As for Orpik, he's a favorite of mine. I admit though his physical presence is hit or miss. Some games it's there, some games it's not. He's aged and recent injuries have taken a toll on him. I think he's gone after this year though. They need room for Bortuzzo and Depres to develop.

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922

@nossagog

As hot/cold as the Pens have been in the post season (knock on wood)....

- They have not lost in regulation..

- They have faced/are facing the last two Vezina winners (and if they advance and Rask wins this year as expected it's possible they will have faced the last 3)...

- 6-0-3 (using regular season record keeping) in their last 9 games with just 1 goal from Crosby and Malkin scoring in only game (EN aside)...

- They are getting the secondary scoring that is needed to succeed in the playoffs...

- The biggest worry for this team (i/m/h/o) is an implosion by a goalie with a 2.22 GAA and .926 Save%...

I'll take any series win but at this point they really should be able to put the Rangers away in 5 if they play the way they did in Games 2 and 3.  I'll be livid if they let the Rangers off the hook in Game 4.

You should be a stand up comedian.  A day's rest is what the Dr ordered.  Prepare to get your heads handed to you

Open invitation to Hockey Junkie, could you please start promoting our demise for game 5 as soon as you can. You're doing so well so far.

• Like 1

You should be a stand up comedian.  A day's rest is what the Dr ordered.  Prepare to get your heads handed to you.

Oops!

Please please please please pick the Rangers to win Game 5. PLEASE!

this series is a total mismatch, the Pens are better at the Rangers game than the Rangers .

the Pens are standing up at the the blueline daring the Rangers to dump the puck deep and get in foot races ; and the Rangers continue to try to carry through 4 guys and their sticks or chip it 4 feet ahead and watch the Pens defensmen turn and clear the puck.  

that there has been no adjustment to this after 4 games makes me question Alain Vigneault's coaching chops... or the makeup of the team, no callahan , no prust, no dubinsky or artismemov... those guys would be much harder to play against than the pillow soft bunch currently wearing the blue shirts.

the Pens are mostly healthy at the right time and i think will win the East if not the whole smash

I'll agree with you about Fleury, but that's about it.   I can't fathom how you can think that the Rangers are better at anything at this point.   The tired thing don't work, they had a day off, and came out and put up 15,    15 shots on goal in an almost must win game. 

On the bright side, there was a goal scored on their power play last night, oh wait, it was the Pens who scored.   What does that make them now, 0 for their last 36 or so Power Plays?

Sure, it ain't over till its over, and they can over come this, especially the way that Lundqvist is playing. If not for him, last night would have been a huge laugher.

But what bright spot do you take out of their two games at home?

I am surprised the Rangers lost last night. maybe they need to go on the road. Overcoming this is not impossible. The Kings overcame worse. Not saying it will happen, but they have to dig down. They are the better team IMO. Fluery has not played this well in a long time.

We're still waiting to hear why you think the Rangers are the better team. What exactly makes them that?

@Polaris922

Why are you arguing with him?  We all know the Pens are a better team.  However, they had a chance to go for the jugular tonight and end the series....that did not happen.  Now the Pens gave the Rags a sliver of hope.  Not good.  Game #6 should be a doozy.

@Polaris922

Why are you arguing with him?  We all know the Pens are a better team.  However, they had a chance to go for the jugular tonight and end the series....that did not happen.  Now the Pens gave the Rags a sliver of hope.  Not good.  Game #6 should be a doozy.

Sadly Doc, its the story of the Pens.  They mailed this one in early, and just sat back until they were down by two goals.  Not a lot of effort, and that's sad.

Rags played a great game, and did what needed to get the win. You could see the added intensity in their game.  Even on the Pens 5v3PP they didn't have much effort. 

Oh well, its not a longer series.  Never let a team back up, never.

@Polaris922

Why are you arguing with him? We all know the Pens are a better team. However, they had a chance to go for the jugular tonight and end the series....that did not happen. Now the Pens gave the Rags a sliver of hope. Not good. Game #6 should be a doozy.

That first elimination game often goes this way. The Rangers wanted it more, the officials continued supporting the Rangers' efforts and now they've cashed in on the power play. The Pens started to fight back, and the physical abuse continues.

That's playoff hockey this year. You have to want it more and overcome the officiating. Bring on game 6.

By the way Polaris,  just use your ignore filters, I do, and it make these threads much more bearable.

Honestly Noss, I like seeing what corners of the bookshelf some poster's thoughts come from.  His are an enigma sometimes, and just like asking him to explain to me why he thinks the Rags are the better team, I kind of wait in suspense waiting to be shown something spectacular.  It doesn't upset me in the least... I just try to understand.   

Honestly Noss, I like seeing what corners of the bookshelf some poster's thoughts come from.  His are an enigma sometimes, and just like asking him to explain to me why he thinks the Rags are the better team, I kind of wait in suspense waiting to be shown something spectacular.  It doesn't upset me in the least... I just try to understand.   

LOL -

IF the Rangers continue to play inspired hockey as they did in Game 5 the Rangers may just be the better TEAM or at least maybe the better coached team.  ;)

Pol, I can take differing opinions,  I enjoy them, it makes for great intelligent conversations, why else would be be on a site with mostly Flyers fans. (Please don't tell any of them this, but I actually enjoy conversing with, gulp, Flyers fans.  Oh, I think I barfed there a little in my mouth. . . Wait, did I type that out loud, damn)

But life's to short to interact with people who do nothing but attempt to bait other people. Its just not worth the effort.

LOL -

IF the Rangers continue to play inspired hockey as they did in Game 5 the Rangers may just be the better TEAM or at least maybe the better coached team.  ;)

One word, DFB.   Honestly, how can you come into an elimination game, and come up with a game plan to sit back, and just try to counter attack.   The Rangers dictated play, and the Pens didn't change their game plan at all.  They gave the Rangers life, when they had none the games before.    Could turn the series, always dangerous to mail in a game in the playoffs.

The Rangers do play differently with the lead... they start to clog up the neutral zone and they, as a team, do do a nice job of getting their sticks in passing lanes and "the way" .

and the rags  finally got the idea that pressuring the defense physically can work vs the Pens,  they're better at keeping their composure, but they can be rendered less effective with a physical forecheck.

I also thought they took a lot of liberties with 87 last night, and that worked too, he's been good at keeping himself in check so far,  I though he had turned a corner when he didn't rise to Dubinsky's challenge vs CBJ but that was mostly (mostly) whistle to whistle, the Rangers started in really roughing him up anytime he was on the ice and that does bother him.  

I still think the Pens show up either Sunday or Tuesday and advance though.  I don't see the Rangers being able to maintain the type of play from game 5 for 2 more games, it is not in their character. 

Didn't get to watch Game 5 of this series, however, from what I saw on the highlights and some of the in-depth coverage on several sports networks, the Rangers simply came out to play, while the Pens fell short in that area.

It also looked to me like the Pens were getting a bit frustrated during the game, taking certain penalties that really could have been avoided, and of course, Lundquist was a difference maker once again.

And what's this?? A Rangers PP that went 2 for 3??? A mirage?? A phantasmic apparition of the spookiest ghostly order? Someone call the Ghostbusters, the Pens have been slimed!

Seriously though, the Rangers PP has been the single most abysmal part of their game these playoffs.

I think their compete level and talent have been on par with the Pens (well about as on-par as one can get with guys like Crosby and Malkin on the other side), their goaltending has been terrific, and their overall defense hasn't been half bad either.

But that PP simply had the Blueshirts mired to a point where it seems Pit had NO FEAR of taking any penalties to begin with.

Well, if Game 5 was any indication, the Pens now may have to watch those penalties a bit better from here on out.

Too soon to say the Ranger PP has finally "figured things out", but nice to see them get a couple and make the Pens pay for any indiscretions.

Rangers will need MUCH more of that if they intend to pull off the impossible and take the next two games.

Still giving the Pens advantage here in likelihood to finish things off, however, if the Rangers can use all the cliches we all know and love, play like they had been overall as a team, continue to frustrated the Pens offense, AND have that PP continue to do what they started in Game 5, the Blueshirts maybe, juuuust maybe, have a shot here.  :)

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Didn't get to watch Game 5 of this series, however, from what I saw on the highlights and some of the in-depth coverage on several sports networks, the Rangers simply came out to play, while the Pens fell short in that area.

It also looked to me like the Pens were getting a bit frustrated during the game, taking certain penalties that really could have been avoided, and of course, Lundquist was a difference maker once again.

And what's this?? A Rangers PP that went 2 for 3??? A mirage?? A phantasmic apparition of the spookiest ghostly order? Someone call the Ghostbusters, the Pens have been slimed!

Seriously though, the Rangers PP has been the single most abysmal part of their game these playoffs.

I think their compete level and talent have been on par with the Pens (well about as on-par as one can get with guys like Crosby and Malkin on the other side), their goaltending has been terrific, and their overall defense hasn't been half bad either.

But that PP simply had the Blueshirts mired to a point where it seems Pit had NO FEAR of taking any penalties to begin with.

Well, if Game 5 was any indication, the Pens now may have to watch those penalties a bit better from here on out.

Too soon to say the Ranger PP has finally "figured things out", but nice to see them get a couple and make the Pens pay for any indiscretions.

Rangers will need MUCH more of that if they intend to pull off the impossible and take the next two games.

Still giving the Pens advantage here in likelihood to finish things off, however, if the Rangers can use all the cliches we all know and love, play like they had been overall as a team, continue to frustrated the Pens offense, AND have that PP continue to do what they started in Game 5, the Blueshirts maybe, juuuust maybe, have a shot here. :)

It's not that the Pens are committing indiscretions all over the ice, its more that the officiating has quite clearly favored the Rangers. In the series with the Jackets it was bad, but it was pretty evenly bad. This series it's been lopsided. I don't know if there is pity for the Rags having that extra game the Pens didnt or what, but its been pretty obvious.

As for last night, it was clearly the Rags fighting for survival against what appeared to be a disinterested Pens squad. Their effort was not anywhere close to the previous games. Not taking anything away from the Rangers either, they took full advantage of the Pens' lack if give a damn.