Round 2 - Penguins vs Rangers

hf101

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this playoff series?

Other than funny, what did everyone think of Lundquist spraying Crosby with water? I mean he had it coming to him, and it's not like it's a cheapshot. But do they need to address this (It happened already this postseason against Subban) Is this unsportsmanlike or just hilarious? I just don't want to see it happening over and over.

Honestly? Funny.  I guess this is one of those things that while "harmless" makes you wonder "What's next?"  No problem with it but a nice little decree from the league saying it has to stop and moving forward is a penalty and/or fine would suffice.

• Like 1

Did I mention that it's over? 

Just like it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

ahhh .. love the Animal House reference!  Classic Movie!

"a p-p-pledge pin on your uniform! now drop and give me 20!"

Honestly? Funny.  I guess this is one of those things that while "harmless" makes you wonder "What's next?"  No problem with it but a nice little decree from the league saying it has to stop and moving forward is a penalty and/or fine would suffice.

Yip. It's only funny once. Maybe twice. After that, just stop.

There is not much from the Pens play the last 2 games that leads me to believe they "will/should" win. Their best chances last night came short handed or with an extra attacker, 5 on 5 the Rangers have been better * vomit* .

The NHL should really reexamine the goalie interference penalty, IMO the refs have blown that call nearly every time it has come up, this has worked against both teams, Krieder's penalty last night , but has hurt the Pens more.

Lundquist was great in the last 2+ minutes when the pens had the extra attacker, prior to that he was just in the way, i know he saw a lot of shots , but he did see them and most were from low percentage scoring areas.

Should be at least an interesting game 7 on Tuesday .

I thought the call on Kreider was way overdue to be honest.  He's done it a few times now, and runs around like he owns the place.  It's part of what has frustrated me with the Pens... the officials have let Fleury absorb hit after hit, and they've really only called the penalty on Kunitz until last night.  Part of what has me saying the officiating is skewed.  Kreider clearly could have turned or made some effort to slow, and instead throws an arm into Fleury knocking him and the puck into the net.  Clear cut no goal by the rule.  According to the rule that I think Yave posted before, it doesn't even matter if Letang shoved Kreider in, it should be waved off.  

Did Lundquist really empty his water bottle in Crosby's face in the last game? If so, anyone have a link?

I think it was when Dominic Moore had Crosby's stick trapped between his legs and wouldn't let go.  Crosby tried freeing it a couple times, then Moore just clamped down harder.  So Crosby gave him an uplifting experience to the testicles.  Moore then gave Crosby a couple crosschecks to the back.  I think right after that is when Lundqvist sprayed him with some water, and then Kunitz came in and put Moore down.  Boyle got involved then, and of course the only one penalized was Crosby.  THAT is how the officiating has been.  You never see the squirt on video that I could see. 

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/report-crosby-lundqvist-avoid-fines-for-game-6-antics/

I think it was when Dominic Moore had Crosby's stick trapped between his legs and wouldn't let go.  Crosby tried freeing it a couple times, then Moore just clamped down harder.  So Crosby gave him an uplifting experience to the testicles.  Moore then gave Crosby a couple crosschecks to the back.  I think right after that is when Lundqvist sprayed him with some water, and then Kunitz came in and put Moore down.  Boyle got involved then, and of course the only one penalized was Crosby.  THAT is how the officiating has been.  You never see the squirt on video that I could see. 

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/report-crosby-lundqvist-avoid-fines-for-game-6-antics/

Well I guess they could have got Moore for the hold, Crosby for the spear in the nuts (maybe his thing for mens genitals warrants Fleury sharing his therapist?) Moore for the crosscheck, Kunitz for the blind suckerpunch and Malkin for roughing, Staal for the same, Crosby for the crosscheck, Girardi for the rough, Boyle for the crosscheck and Crosby for the 2nd spearing attempt? But then Crosby was the only one with THREE infractions. I'm guessing that's why he got the gate. Even if they let him go yet again for going after another mans nether region (or the slew foot later in the game which he also has a history of)

Thanks Polaris. I found this link. Spray is around the 40 second mark.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bLNr3jl1Ajk

Its hard for me to root for either team, but generally I will always root for the team that beat us (a weird solace type of thing). But seeing king henry do that, endears me even more to the Rags. 

But do they need to address this (It happened already this postseason against Subban) Is this unsportsmanlike or just hilarious? I just don't want to see it happening over and over.

Just call the 2 minute minor for unsportsmanlike and be done with it. 

For me personally, I don't care. Its synonymous to the ice spray that forwards do on the goalie (which gets a penalty - stupidly so in my book). 

To me its gamemanship. Its certainly less egregious than a stinky glove face wash. 

I thought the call on Kreider was way overdue to be honest.  He's done it a few times now, and runs around like he owns the place.  It's part of what has frustrated me with the Pens... the officials have let Fleury absorb hit after hit, and they've really only called the penalty on Kunitz until last night.  Part of what has me saying the officiating is skewed.  Kreider clearly could have turned or made some effort to slow, and instead throws an arm into Fleury knocking him and the puck into the net.  Clear cut no goal by the rule.  According to the rule that I think Yave posted before, it doesn't even matter if Letang shoved Kreider in, it should be waved off.

Right this is why I said "the NHL should reevaluate ..."

What is a player to do when he's getting a little "help" ? I know what the rule is...it needs appending.

Rangers played yet another good game against the Pens for Game 6.

Whatever frustrations the Pens had in Game 5, the Rangers seemed to foster for Game 6 and it worked to their advantage...along with some great play to keep the Pens' talented scorers at bay.

Everything from good coverage, breaking up plays, good physical play, and taking advantage of calls going their way, the Blueshirts did.

And even when things broke down, the coverage wasn't there, and miscues were made, Henrik Lundquist, as he has throughout the playoffs, was there to shut the door.

Hey, I know officiating for not just this series, but for the entire playoffs has been less-than-desirable for most fans, but it is what it is, and quite frankly, as it relates to Game 6 of THIS series, I don't buy into any conspiracy theories. 

If calls were made that shouldn't have, or calls that SHOULD have been made weren't, it seemed to go both ways, however, it just seemed NY handled their end a bit better than the clearly flustered Pens.

Rangers clearly took the Pens out of their comfort zones the last two games and will look to do it again for Game 7.

Now, if you are Pit, I would think that after seeing what happened the last two games, your goal should be to dictate the pace using PENGUINS style hockey, and keep emotions in check as much as possible.

Pittsburgh is at their most dangerous when they are speeding up the ice, making quick passes, playing responsible defense and drawing penalties by DRIVING to the net, NOT trying to act like tough guys on the ice, THEN letting their calm, cool, collected PP do major damage to the usually deer-in-headlights penalty killing units of the opposition.

Personally, it is one of the reasons I think the Jackets played the Pens so tough, one of the reasons the Flyers have recently been so successful against the Pens, and the reason the Rangers have stormed back from a 3-1 series deficit:  They have all taken, at some point or the other, the Pens AWAY from their style of hockey and coaxed them into playing an emotional, sometimes out-of-control, fly by the seat of your pants, grinding, physical style that simply is NOT in the Pens' best interests, while it suits the team initiating that just fine.

Now we  have Game 7 and many feel-gooders may think the Rangers have this wrapped up, however, I will give the Pens their due simply because they have so much talent and experience.

Anything CAN happen in this game and the Rangers have given themselves the best possible chance to overcoming their deficit in the series, but again, the Pens have the talent, the film and experience from the previous games in the seires (both what went right and went wrong), and NOW have the home line matchups....and all that could very well lead to Pittsburgh dictating and winning this game, making talk of any 'comebacks' and 'pissing away' series leads moot points.

Honestly, if the Pens can't muster the willpower to not buy into whatever the Rangers have been able to sell them the last two games, then they simply don't deserve to move on to the ECF anyways.

That is not to say this game is for the Pens to lose just like that, because I think the Rangers have the capability to TAKE the game rather than having it handed to them, but the Pens clearly were favored coming into this series matchup with reasons that had been backed up throughout the regular season and in their first round against Columbus, and New York can take NOTHING for granted, emotional high or no.

Should be a very exciting game...not sure how close this will be score wise either way...since emotions are so high, this could take on a variety of tones, but I do expect there to be some crazy and exciting moments for everyone looking on.

TFG's keys to Game 7 for each?

Rangers: Keep things emotional, continue to ride that wave of "we can do this", don't get too stupid while emotional and keep taking it to the Pens defense.

Penguins: Get back in control of the emotions, only engage the Rangers in 'extra stuff' when it suits Pittsburgh, let the talent do it's thing, make HOCKEY plays, many of which can and will draw penalties from the Blueshirts, and make that PP be the deciding factor in the outcome.

Bittersweet for me that this game will be going on tonight.

Why? Because I would LOVE to watch how things play out between these teams as they  happen, but I will be in attendance at the Xcel Energy Center tonight rooting on the Minnesota Wild as THEY hope to force a Game 7 in Chicago!  :D

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Have fun TFG !

Thank you, Sir!

I mentioned in the Hawks-Wild playoff thread, i got lucky with these tickets...listening to a local radio station, I was the designated caller they were looking for (18), and they are telling me I won some VIP suite tickets for tonight!

Like I said, only regret is, I can't watch what I am sure will be a very exciting Game 7 in Pittsburgh live.