Time to play GM...... aka What to do now?

Hartnell? He stays. Besides him and Simmonds we have no size.

I was listening till that part then you lost me. What good is this size of which you speak if he is constantly laying on his back on the ice simply cause he can't stay upright....he is washed up and needs to go.

This past playoffs was a perfect example lead the team in shots on goal and got zero goals...3 assists that is it.

The worst part is no one else will want him so yeah they are stuck with him. Power forward hahaha!!!

Howdy:

Here are thoughts; some strange but what the hell:

1) I like Simmonds but if we got a decent D  + high draft pick I might take it. His scoring is good but won't elevate the team..he is the garbage collector...we need a Reggie Leach.

2) TImonen might be a low-ball signing as mentor.  But not a six million dollar gig.

3)  I think Emory is allowed to walk and we bring in one of our youngsters

Giroux, Coots, and Read are keepers, the latter due to flexibility. Raffl may be there as well. Others...say buy.

Howie

Lots of good stuff in this thread. 

Here are my thoughts. 

1 - Sign Vanek or Moulson (sorry, but he ain't worth $6M) or Iginla or one of the very good wingers.

2 - Get rid of VLC by any means necessary. He brings nothing of value to this team. It was a mistake before the ink was even dry on the contract. What about trading him to TB for a 2nd rounder?

3 - Move Grossmann for a pick / depth AHLer.

That's pretty much it. This is what our team could look like, with $7M in free cap space! We know Homer will find a way to spend it.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Flyers

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m) 
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($0.851m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m) 
Jason Akeson ($0.715m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m) 
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Michael Raffl ($1.100m) 

DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) 
Shayne Gostisbehere ($0.925m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) 
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) 

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m) 
Cal Heeter ($0.874m) 

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m) 
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m) 

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,295,815; BONUSES: $708,333
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $7,804,185

Sometimes the moves/trades never made are the best moves. Do not touch this team too much. Vinny needs to go. Eat half his salary if need be. But open that center spot for schenn full time. Let him actually play his position for a full season before we throw him away. Hartnell? He stays. Besides him and Simmonds we have no size. Eaten alive by Boston. People who wants harts gone are just looking at points , not what else he brings. Wake up people. Trade him you better have another power forward coming back like Ryan. Love hall. But if we can get Laughton in the line up, I like him on the forth line. Work his way in. Rafl and Rinaldo would be good wingers for him. For the forward group all that's missing is a second line winger . I'm not sure who you plug is there. Reid? Maybe a ufa? Trade? Not sure.

On d comes the most shocking moves I have in store. Keep it the same and bring in some more youth. Kimmo needs to go though, unless at a severely reduced salary and roster position. Morin,ghost,alt need to be given the chance to take a or some spots. Perfect world ghost and morin are ready.

Bottom line. My youth stays and that's what I build around. Because in this league now you have to have youth in your line up.

Sure if I could get weber for like Laughton and a 1st and Gus I would take it. Lol

Schenn played more games at center than Vinny did this year. Vinny spent most of the season on the wing, a position he's never played. I'm not as down on Schenn as some others are, and I'm more than willing to continue to let him develop, but this whole idea that he hasn't gotten the chance at center isn't true.

If by youth you mean the guys already on the roster, I completely agree. But I don't care about Ghost, Morin, Laughton, or any of those kids yet. I'd trade them for something tangible in a second. This team does not need more inexperience right now. That winger and defenseman they need (which mostly everyone agrees upon) ain't gonna come from our farm system.

I'm over him. I defended him before, but I'm done. I don't want anything to do with him. He looked brutal in the POs and off and on throughout the year.

well, the thing that is most maddening about him is that he still has some very good games. he's just extremely inconsistent and that is a problem, but what's the answer? maybe a change of venue is the right answer for him. 

• Like 1

well, the thing that is most maddening about him is that he still has some very good games. he's just extremely inconsistent and that is a problem, but what's the answer? maybe a change of venue is the right answer for him. 

I don't even care anymore. It's not he's great for 3/4 of the season and only struggles part of the time. I could stomach it then. But he's a non-factor to bad a healthy chunk of the time now. He's 29. This is what he is. He's not going to change at this point.

I found this trade idea....like i said not mine but i'm interested in it...what to do or anyone think.....good fair value or to much over pay and guts team to much...

To Florida:

B.Schenn

L.Schenn

Read

1st 2014

To Philly:

1st 2014

Dan Ellis

Edited by OccamsRazor

I found this trade idea....like i said not mine but i'm interested in it...what to do or anyone think.....good fair value or to much over pay and guts team to much...

To Florida:

B.Schenn

L.Schenn

Read

1st 2014

To Philly:

1st 2014

Dan Ellis

Swap out L. Schenn for Ghost, and Florida might pick up the phone.

Swap our B. Schenn for Voracek and they'll take your call. 

If the Panthers are giving up a potential franchise defender/forward (Ekblad/Bennett), they want impact top level roster players. The Schenns don't give them that. Voracek is a legitimate top line player, and Ghost has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman. 

Sorry i want no part of trading Ghost....however i will replace Luke with Coburn and if this isn't enough....i'll stand pat.

But not Ghost. Thanks for your response.

Sorry i want no part of trading Ghost....however i will replace Luke with Coburn and if this isn't enough....i'll stand pat.

Out of curiosity, why would you not want to trade Ghost for what is estimated to be a superior defenseman? One who has the potential to be a true franchise defender? Ghost will never be that if only because of his diminutive frame. Ekblad is 6'3", 213lbs as a 17 year old!

Ghost is 5'11", 170lbs soaking wet. 

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, why would you not want to trade Ghost for what is estimated to be a superior defenseman? One who has the potential to be a true franchise defender? Ghost will never be that if only because of his diminutive frame. Ekblad is 6'3", 213lbs as a 17 year old!

Ghost is up to 180.........but have seen him play...kid is amazing in both ends of the ice...who really knows how high his ceiling is????

I 've never seen the Flyer ever have a prospect that has looked that good before making the Flyers ever....so i don't really want to trade Ghost before i even know what they have yet. He is a better offensive Dman than Streit right now and plays defense pretty damn good too.

Anton Stralman is 5' 11 190.

Erik Karlsson 6' 175

So he is big enogh to play in the NHL and there is no way to gauge heart which he has plenty of. Size is just a number

Edited by OccamsRazor

Erik Karlsson 6' 175

So he is big enogh to play in the NHL and there is no way to gauge heart which he has plenty of. Size is just a number

Ok, but Stralman is not a top pairing defender, and I wouldn't consider Karlsson a franchise defenseman. He's gifted offensively, no doubt. But he's no Weber, Suter, Pronger, Chara... the type that can put up points, eat up minutes, and punish anyone who gets near them. 

Ghost's size won't prevent him from being an excellent defenseman, but it will prevent him from being a franchise cornerstone in the same vein of the four I mentioned, at least IMO.

Ghost is up to 180.........but have seen him play...kid is amazing in both ends of the ice...who really knows how high his ceiling is????

I 've never seen the Flyer ever have a prospect that has looked that good before making the Flyers ever....so i don't really want to trade Ghost before i even know what they have yet. He is a better offensive Dman than Streit right now and plays defense pretty damn good too.

That's fair. But I would also say that whatever ceiling Ghost may have, Ekblad's is higher. Probably much higher. 

• Like 1

@brelic

Brian Rafalski

that's who some have compared Ghost's skating to... dangled preposition and all that's a good guy to be compared to favorably. 

Its not the size of the dog in the fight everytime, while there is merit to the Parcells corollary "a good big man will beat a good little man"  it is not absolute.

Ghost was pretty damn impressive all year and in the world jr's when he played.

Erik Karlsson 6' 175

Ok, but didn't you say somewhere that there was NO way he would play in the NHL this year? sorry if i'm mistaken

Swap our B. Schenn for Voracek and they'll take your call. 

If the Panthers are giving up a potential franchise defender/forward (Ekblad/Bennett), they want impact top level roster players. The Schenns don't give them that. Voracek is a legitimate top line player, and Ghost has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman. 

To Florida:

B.Schenn

L.Schenn

Read

1st 2014

To Philly:

1st 2014

Dan Ellis

you're kidding right? it just has all the feeling of taking out the trash. so let's stick VLC in the deal in place of Read and retain some of his salary. 

Ok, but didn't you say somewhere that there was NO way he would play in the NHL this year? sorry if i'm mistaken

Not he could easily make the jump...ok easily may be pushing it but i  think just from a cerebral stand point from what i've seen from himincluding his vision i think he is better than every Dman on the Flyers right now (ok smarts wise maybe not Kimmo)....kid has me excited for the future with him so i don't won't to move him. And there is no reason to rush him into the lineup not matter what i think he needs a season or at least a half in the A.

In no way am i saying i'm some expert at this but i've never seen a Flyer prospect play like him before getting to the Flyers like him...ever.

you're kidding right? it just has all the feeling of taking out the trash. so let's stick VLC in the deal in place of Read and retain some of his salary. 

Like Brel pointed out VLC i'd love to move and would be ok including him but in order to get you have to give, Ekblad from what ive read already has a NHLbody and slap shot so it will be costly to get that pick.....i just ain't including him sorry....there has to be other that can get it done or just stand pat and take the best player available at #17!

get the ball rolling...

He makes decisions with help from his Dad.  Before he was committed to an agent, John LeClair took him and his  Dad out to dinner.  The purpose was to influence them into signing with Lewis Goss.  Z's Dad is shrewd and keeps things close to his vest.  They didn't commit.  I think John was a little sore because he and my son are friends. 

Ok, but Stralman is not a top pairing defender, and I wouldn't consider Karlsson a franchise defenseman. He's gifted offensively, no doubt. But he's no Weber, Suter, Pronger, Chara... the type that can put up points, eat up minutes, and punish anyone who gets near them. 

Ghost's size won't prevent him from being an excellent defenseman, but it will prevent him from being a franchise cornerstone in the same vein of the four I mentioned, at least IMO.

That's fair. But I would also say that whatever ceiling Ghost may have, Ekblad's is higher. Probably much higher. 

Yes fair question...i agree and i wasn't saying his is a franchise Dman but i will say i think his ceiling can be a #2. So those don't grow on tress either so would that be fair trade then possible #2 with Coburn and Brayden and their 2014 1st?????

Really it's hard for me to say....so i'll stay put and look for other options...that is still a lot for prospect like him....i remember all the hype form J-Bo (3rd overall 2002) back in the day very similar type players kind of....not completely but i'm speaking of size and NHL shot. So to me that is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge price to pay for "potential".

To give up all that i have be absolutely 100% he will be a franchise Dman and there really is no such thing its still a gamble and really i'm not a gambler.

2002: 

1st Rick Nash

2nd Kari Let-one-in

3rd J-Bo

4th Joni Pick-nose-n

5th Ryan Whitney

Edited by OccamsRazor

Yes fair question...i agree and i wasn't saying his is a franchise Dman but i will say i think his ceiling can be a #2. So those don't grow on tress either so would that be fair trade then possible #2 with Coburn and Brayden and their 2014 1st?????

Really it's hard for me to say....so i'll stay put and look for other options...that is still a lot for prospect like him....i remember all the hype form J-Bo (3rd overall 2002) back in the day very similar type players kind of....not completely but i'm speaking of size and NHL shot. So to me that is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge price to pay for "potential".

I agree, it's a high price to pay for potential. As of right now, Ghost is nothing more than potential as well. But given the chance, I would absolutely trade Ghost in a package that got us the #1 pick and a shot at Ekblad.

I don't think it would set us back, either. Ekblad is probably the type that could play on a roster next year, just like Ghost.

I almost forgot Jared Spurgeon who wasn't even drafted and played his first season at 21 is all of 5' 9" 175.....so it can be done. So will  Ghsot will succeed i just know it. 

Lots of good stuff in this thread.

Here are my thoughts.

1 - Sign Vanek or Moulson (sorry, but he ain't worth $6M) or Iginla or one of the very good wingers.

2 - Get rid of VLC by any means necessary. He brings nothing of value to this team. It was a mistake before the ink was even dry on the contract. What about trading him to TB for a 2nd rounder?

3 - Move Grossmann for a pick / depth AHLer.

That's pretty much it. This is what our team could look like, with $7M in free cap space! We know Homer will find a way to spend it.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

Flyers

FORWARDS

Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)

Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($0.851m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)

Jason Akeson ($0.715m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)

Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Michael Raffl ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN

Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)

Shayne Gostisbehere ($0.925m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m)

Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Steve Mason ($4.100m)

Cal Heeter ($0.874m)

BUYOUTS

Daniel Briere ($0.000m)

Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR

Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,295,815; BONUSES: $708,333

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $7,804,185

I am totally on board with this. I think there needs to be an upgrade to the defense. Gost will not be ready and needs time in the A. Add one dman and I think this could be the lineup.

@brelic

@murraycraven

I looked at the UFA D-men. 

http://mynhltraderumors.com/free-agents/2014-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-defenseman/

Who do you want to try to get? 

• Matt Niskanen (Pens) -he looks pretty solid, think he can be lured away from the Pens.  Pens might make him a priority especially considering the health of Letang is in question.
  • RFA - Nick Schultz (Oilers) - I don't watch the Oilers that much.  I know at one time he was highly touted.  How was his play has year?  Is he worth trying to pursue or witll the Oilers try to wrap him up quickluy?
  •  Henrik Tallinder (Sabres) - Just a thought?
  • Joni Pitkanen (Hurricanes) - I know dare I say a Flyers retread?

any other better ideas? 

Ok....who wants to sends brelic's idea to Hexy / Homer / Snider!  ;)

@brelic

@murraycraven

I looked at the UFA D-men. 

http://mynhltraderumors.com/free-agents/2014-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-defenseman/

Who do you want to try to get? 

• Matt Niskanen (Pens) -he looks pretty solid, think he can be lured away from the Pens.  Pens might make him a priority especially considering the health of Letang is in question.
  • RFA - Nick Schultz (Oilers) - I don't watch the Oilers that much.  I know at one time he was highly touted.  How was his play has year?  Is he worth trying to pursue or witll the Oilers try to wrap him up quickluy?
  •  Henrik Tallinder (Sabres) - Just a thought?
  • Joni Pitkanen (Hurricanes) - I know dare I say a Flyers retread?

any other better ideas? 

Ok....who wants to sends brelic's idea to Hexy / Homer / Snider!  ;)

Good question... not sure who I would want. I don't watch those other teams very much, so I don't know too much about them.

It appears Timonen will return for another year (at least that's how it sounded in the presser yesterday). So one less spot on the roster.

Niskanen is going to command a lot of money because he's the top UFA defender.... but is he truly worth that money? Maybe Polaris, B21 or noss have an opinion on this. He would get upwards of $6M in Philly simply because of the inflated contract we gave AMac.

Looking at it now, I'm not convinced at all that the defense will look much different.

Timo/Coburn

Streit/AMac

Grossmann/Schenn

Gus

Ok, so say you move Grossmann, you can slot Gus in there. If Ghost is ready for a spot, you bump Gus out, I guess. 

Do you guys honestly see a significant overhaul? Given the NMC/NTC situation and the contract values, I just don't see a big change.