Time to play GM...... aka What to do now?

I look at it one of 2 ways here. We either go for broke or we accept that we're rebuilding and bring up some green prospects. People get their panties in a bunch when suggesting bringing up Morin or Ghost. I say, bring them both up. F it. let 'em play out the season and get the experience. Take our lumps and let em learn. Re-sign Timo cheaply as possible. Hope Gus can step up and that GrossmanN can get and stay healthy. Accept that we're NOT winning a cup in 2015. 

If we're not going to do that... then we need to drop some money. Niskanen can be had and all we have to do is sign him to another Homer contract™. Overpay now for the immediate upgrade and gamble of a solid D man for years to come. Go for Moulson or Vanek on the FA and try to make some moves for salary space. Gotta dump VLC and/or Hartnell. Get picks, get some low level prospects.. maybe even some pucks. 

ORRR... make a big splash. Send Schenn, Ghost and VLC with cash to Nashville for Weber. Which option sounds more Flyers to you? 

Bak..I totally agree.  I have been saying since the end of last year that this team should be in rebuilding mode and let the youngsters pay.  However, there have been some that totally disagree with that philosophy stating..."we can't do that!" it will totally ruin them....  Screw IT!   We can't ride the fence and have it both ways..  We just can't, BUT it appears that management can't make that decision.  This team is still a year or two from making a serious playoff run.   Oh and by the way....IF they make the splash and go after Weber...Weber himself does not magically solve all of this teams problems. 

Find away to get rid the VLC contract and move on from there. 

I would like them to work on finding someone, be it a youngster or a vet, to develop and grow chemistry with G and Jake on the wing.

Its tragically funny that McCrossin's name is now used as a verb now :lol::(

would like to see a Gross/Ghost d-pairing.

I would try to trade up for Ekblad before I went after Webber. We are already stuck with Hartnell and VLC contracts, do we really want to be paying Webber for the next 12 years. I would offer Morin , Laughton and our first for the Panthers first and third round picks. We don't hurt the current roster and they get some nice young players and a pick to rebuild.

I would try to trade up for Ekblad before I went after Webber. We are already stuck with Hartnell and VLC contracts, do we really want to be paying Webber for the next 12 years. I would offer Morin , Laughton and our first for the Panthers first and third round picks. We don't hurt the current roster and they get some nice young players and a pick to rebuild.

I don't think the Panthers go for that.  Ekblad is "in some people's" opinion, ready to step into the NHL.  Morin for what I read is still a year or two away.  Laughton is an enigma simply because we don't yet know what he can offer on the ice.  IMO, I think the Panthers would want a King's Ransom for the 1st pick.  Without giving up one of our untouchables, I don't think the Panthers would even remotely consider giving up the 1st pick overall (Ekblad) for Morin / Laughton / our 1st and 3rd.  Again that is just my humble opinion.

Untouchables? I think at this point anything goes,hopefully start unloading older players and bring in the young guys! This team exudes softness to the point of embarrassment,one of the Maloney brothers mentioned it during the first round. The Flyer's need some forwards who aren't afraid to go to the net, ,stick their nose in it,and can also play. Nobody presently on the team comes to mind as having those skills and attitude in their resume. The Rangers beat up on poor Claudster the whole series  and nobody did a thing!

Notice the bolded part that does *not* include Brayden Schenn. Is that editorializing on Carchidi's part, or is he summarizing what Snider actually said? If it's the latter, it's telling that Snider would leave out Schenn. I don't think that's accidental

Snider is old. He was naming a list of guys and most likely forgot, or didn't realize who he was naming.

If I am playing GM, I do the team a favor and resign. That way a fresh perspective can come in and make necessary moves. I only hope to see VLC, Hartnell and Timmonen moved

would like to see a Gross/Ghost d-pairing.

That wouldn't be the worst...but if Kimmo comes back which i know is happening i would like to see Ghost with Kimmo that way the could both have a reduced role and minutes.

Put Coby and Gross back together if Gross ain't traded.

Ideally i'd like to see Ghost start the season in the A but i just know he will be given every chance to run the 2nd power play that needs major help on and Ghost is just the man for the job.

At this point I would consider Roo / Jake / Simmer / Mason as untouchable.

Those guys jobs should be secure. For starters i would target Chad Johnson to backup Mason, Boston will let him walk i'm sure and he would be cheaper than Emery and he is only 27 still with low mileage and only made 600K this past season.

My 2nd choice if Johnson can't be had would be Greiss (28) only made 750k. Those i'd take over the banged up Emery. 

how  would JVR looked on the first line LW? I really have to laugh. gee, we need LW power scoring winger to play vith G and Jake. problem is ,that we had him exactly and still screw up .just ridiculous.

• Like 1

how would JVR looked on the first line LW? I really have to laugh. gee, we need LW power scoring winger to play vith G and Jake. problem is ,that we had him exactly and still screw up .just ridiculous.

Irony at its finest.

yeah,  that's is why you never give up on big power forwards ,it takes longer to developed. Flyers are in really bad shape as far as cup goes. there are nowhere near to be a serious contender. you have to go thru  couple years of sucking ,but you already thinking about who should we sign.

how  would JVR looked on the first line LW?

JVR and G never really had no chemistry and JVR needed a change of scenery and still we saw him disappear down the stretch this year when the Leafs need him the most...i'm glad he's gone i just would have preferred to trade him for another Dman instead of Luke.

And they are closer to contenders than the Leafs with JVR.

• Like 1

well ,He was injured a lot and that may be the reason ,why He was struggling here , they still give up to early on him ,his value is much higher now so is this another Sharp situation? i am' so sick of this culture of free agency and big signing ,I mean we have the most expensive defense  in the league for what ? there is something seriously so rotten in this organization . Just look at Pronger deal ,we gave so much for very little return .Even if Pronger played all this years it woudn't change the outcome .that's why you never put all your eggs into the one basket .I already see people wanting to trade half of our team for Weber.Are you a nuts? we are not Weber away from the cup.even if you get weber you gonna be short on forwards ,so what is the exactly the point to do this. did Lindros deal teach you anything? 

I think it all boils down to the DNA of the team.  Someone please define what this team is suppose to be.  Are we a grinder/mucker with big bodies a type of team.....OR.......are we gonna become a highly skilled / speedy type of team.  Answer that question then start filling the players as needed.

In today's NHL...what type of tea, leads to success for a deep playoff run?  Answer that question then look at our roster and make adjustments.

Right now I see this team as a hybrid of the two and it simply is not working. 

What is this team's identity???

• Like 1

I think it all boils down to the DNA of the team. Someone please define what this team is suppose to be. Are we a grinder/mucker with big bodies a type of team.....OR.......are we gonna become a highly skilled / speedy type of team. Answer that question then start filling the players as needed.

That is the best question I have come across Doc.

I think this is the #1 question that needs to be addressed w/ Berube and Management.   Right now I feel like we have some Team speed mixed with guys who are mucker/grinder types.  

That is the best question I have come across Doc.

I think this is the #1 question that needs to be addressed w/ Berube and Management.   Right now I feel like we have some Team speed mixed with guys who are mucker/grinder types.  

This might deserve its own thread?

@jcs379

Regarding Pronger, without him there is no 2009-10 cup run. They needed out from Lupul and his contract, so I was ok with him going. Sbisa would be nice to have around, but I don't see him as the answer. The picks hurt, but 2009 = John Moore and 2010 = Emerson Etem. Both are meh picks if you ask me. With that said, I do not think the Pronger move was all that bad. 

Regarding JvR, hindsight is 20/20, but he had stretches where he was invisible. Again, I do not like the trade at all, but I can see where the org was coming from. It's just too bad that they traded a solid LW'er for Luke Schenn. 

Weber, I agree. Not worth the cost and the commitment. 

They needed out from Lupul and his contract

As I just pointed out in a different thread, the Flyers are the one who GAVE him that stupid contract in the first place!

Not arguing with you, just pointing it out because it's fresh in my mind :)

@brelic

I know, I just didn't want to go down that road..... Paul did some questionable things that year. Umberger, Eminger, Carcillo. I think it was at that point that we all stopped saying "In Homer We Trust"....