Time to play GM...... aka What to do now?

As I just pointed out in a different thread, the Flyers are the one who GAVE him that stupid contract in the first place!

Not arguing with you, just pointing it out because it's fresh in my mind :)

I think people here are failing to see the genius of these crazy contracts. We sign these guys to crazy long-term contracts and then get other teams to take them over. It's genius... we're screwing other teams salary caps. Just take a look at the Kings and the problem they now have with the Richards contract. He's 'under-performing' and they're gonna need cap relief. 

I'm totally kidding, but now reading what I wrote... maybe i'm not. lol. 

I think people here are failing to see the genius of these crazy contracts. We sign these guys to crazy long-term contracts and then get other teams to take them over. It's genius... we're screwing other teams salary caps. Just take a look at the Kings and the problem they now have with the Richards contract. He's 'under-performing' and they're gonna need cap relief. 

I'm totally kidding, but now reading what I wrote... maybe i'm not. lol. 

Homer = Brilliant!  :lol:

Just spitballing here as we all are, what do we think it would take to pry Jeff Skinner away from Carolina ?

I love that kid's speed and hands, I know they're trending up , at least let me put it this way, their AHL team looked pretty damn good, (with like a thousand Sutter relatives on it.  )  Would making a move to get him be detrimental to our young core ? I know he's not a "problem" or needing a change of scenery,  plus there's the whole trading within the division problem.  But i'm thinking who would be great on our top line ? 

there's no bullshit with him, no instagraming his gangster roll of cash before going to the club to make it rain.  

I think, Homer and Snider, "think big"  case in point we were all kind of thinking Francois Beauchamen would be a guy to target in a trade a couple of years ago and Homer was like pffft , the only guy i'm looking at is Pronger.

Just spitballing here as we all are, what do we think it would take to pry Jeff Skinner away from Carolina ?

I love that kid's speed and hands, I know they're trending up , at least let me put it this way, their AHL team looked pretty damn good, (with like a thousand Sutter relatives on it.  )  Would making a move to get him be detrimental to our young core ? I know he's not a "problem" or needing a change of scenery,  plus there's the whole trading within the division problem.  But i'm thinking who would be great on our top line ? 

there's no bullshit with him, no instagraming his gangster roll of cash before going to the club to make it rain.  

I think, Homer and Snider, "think big"  case in point we were all kind of thinking Francois Beauchamen would be a guy to target in a trade a couple of years ago and Homer was like pffft , the only guy i'm looking at is Pronger.

Man, if Homer could get Skinner that would be a coup and I am all for it.  Love that kids game but not sure the Canes would move him.

@brelic

@murraycraven

the exercise is not why would they want to ? it's how to make them want to ?  

I don't even know where to start...B Schenn,+ VLC, and Tyler Leier or a pick , ?

does that get it done ? is it too much ? not enough ?

Maybe Rutherford wants to stick it to his boss before he quits, I don't know  to get something we want we're going to have to give up something decent .

Those are good players i mentioned. I don't think Carolina is as crowded down the middle as we are... trying to think of young guy to grow with Couturier et al.

@ mojo, I think it would take a whole lot to get carolina to even consider it.   Schenn, a high pick(s) (1st & 2nd), and probably a top prospect like Laughton and I am not sure if that is enough.  I used to go to a bunch of Carolina games and that fanbase is in love with Skinner and the Team is as well.   I would love the kid on O&B but I think the Flyers would have to grossly overpay...

Although, with every passing minute you never know what carnival is in store w/ Homer at the pulpit.   Draft in Philly this year should be interesting and I can totally see Homer et al. throwing a huge curveball.

Edited by murraycraven

If we're going to "overpay" for a player, I'd rather get someone a little bigger than Jeff Skinner to go on the top line. He'd be great in the regular season, but come playoffs I'd rather a scorer with a bit more size.

The only assets we have for a potential trade that would get us any kinda return are , Coots, B Schenn, or Laughton..each guy has a certain value , it just depends on who we want to trade ,who we can get for him and which guy the other team wants . If any of them are to be moved it has to be for a defenseman with some skill. We can't blow our only trade assets for another forward unless we are going to overpay for Niskanen as an Ufa, then we can trade a center for a real winger for Girouxs left side.

Of course no one is happy with Coburn, if Edmonton offered Darnell Nurse , we might have to do it, but in the short term we would be a weaker team because Nurse may not be ready for the NHL at this time.

Luke Schenn actually had a real good playoff, so maybe he stays unless him and his brother are packaged together.

VLC is not going to get us much and no one wants his contract, so I guess we're stuck with him.

If we do sign a dmanor trade for one then maybe Grossman is the odd man out ..

Alli know is we cannot go into next season with the highest paid mediocre defense that money can buy, we are paying our third pairing first pairing money...

I think it all boils down to the DNA of the team.  Someone please define what this team is suppose to be.  Are we a grinder/mucker with big bodies a type of team.....OR.......are we gonna become a highly skilled / speedy type of team.  Answer that question then start filling the players as needed.

In today's NHL...what type of tea, leads to success for a deep playoff run?  Answer that question then look at our roster and make adjustments.

Right now I see this team as a hybrid of the two and it simply is not working. 

What is this team's identity???

Honestly to win the Cup you need both.  Your top six have to be able to attack with speed and finesse.  You have to be able to carve your way into the zone and generate good scoring chances.  And then your bottom six need to be able to muck it up with the best of them.  Tie up bodies and sticks, but within the rules of the game.  Defense first, shut down type players.  It's what has made every Cup winner in recent years successful.  Chicago, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh and even Boston.  That depth is what matters.  

The only teams to win Cups without scoring/skating talent up front were during the trap and obstruction years, and that doesn't seem possible to get very far with these days.  And I can't remember a team who won it without a muck and grind bottom six.  Low paid body blow types who just put their all into taking up space and punishing you for touching the puck, because they haven't the skill to do much more.  

You need both.  

Do little.

Seriously.

See what d men you can get. Dangle Schenn as bait for one of them or a sniper.

Cut ties with the likes of Hal Gill.

We're stuck with VLC. I propose that he platoon as 2nd line center with Laughton or Schenn if he's still around.

Otherwise leave Akeson up and try to turn the 4th line into more of a scoring threat and not just a minutes eater

Sniper? Sure. Raffl, Jake and G are good but I feel like their games are too similar. G and jake need a finisher.

But there's no call to make any of this happen.

For the first time in a long time I truly believe management when they say that this team will be better next year.

Really I just hope Berube gets better too.

They lost to the rangers because of a lack of creativity and perhaps some desperation. Both of those need to come from chief as well as the guys On The ice.