Hart finalists announced

yave1964

Hart Trophy finalists  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets your vote

• Crosby
    • Giroux
    • Getzlaf

The NHL announced the finalists for the Hart trophy today as the leagues most valuable player.

Sid Crosby is the favorite with 36 goals and 68 assists for a total of 104 points. His team was banged up all season and he carried them on his back to the second best record in the East.

Getzlaf finished a distant second to Crosby in scoring with 87 points as he led his Ducks to the best record in the West.

Giroux finished third in scoring with 86 points and had a career high 28 goals. The Flyers caught fire when Giroux did and he was among the hottest players in the game during the final two thirds of the season leading the Flyers into the playoffs.

Who gets your vote? To me I cannot see how it could possibly be anyone other than Crosby. He was miles ahead of any other player in the game this season, IMHO it is not even close.

Due to his consistency throughout the year and the state of the Pens injury depleted lineup for the whole season, I think Crosby will get it walking away.  I'm going to go with Giroux then Getzlaf.  Giroux may have made this close if he hadn't started so slowly.

Crosby. Not even close this year.

Agreed. I am surprised that Varlamov was not chosen as one of the three finalists, no offense to Giroux or Getzlaf or Bergeron or anyone else you could come up with but Varly meant as much as anyone to a team that way exceeded everyones expectations. I think if it hadn't been for punting his girlfriend like it was a kick the baby episode of Southpark he would have gotten the recognition. IMHO he was easily the second most valuable player in the game this year, Crosby miles ahead in first, Varly miles ahead in second and then a logjam behind those two.

It's easy to look at a goalie as being the most valuable player on his team...especially 65 game studs like Price, Varlamov, Rask, et el....and especially when there are no studs behind them.  But to me that is what the Vezina is for. 

Even with all the "talent" the Pens have, Crosby managed to factor in on more of his team's goals than any other player.  Combine that with the Pens 500+ man games lost to injury, who he shared a line with this year and the margin by which he won the scoring race?

Frankly, it should be unanimous.

It's easy to look at a goalie as being the most valuable player on his team...especially 65 game studs like Price, Varlamov, Rask, et el....and especially when there are no studs behind them.  But to me that is what the Vezina is for. 

Even with all the "talent" the Pens have, Crosby managed to factor in on more of his team's goals than any other player.  Combine that with the Pens 500+ man games lost to injury, who he shared a line with this year and the margin by which he won the scoring race?

Frankly, it should be unanimous.

I get the Vezina for goalies, the same as the Cy Young for pitchers, ect... I also COMPLETELY agree that Crosby was so much better than anyone else in the game that if it is not unanimous there is something wrong. Sometimes a goalie just means so much to his team that he deserves consideration for the Hart and this year I feel Varlamov is that guy. If you look at the stats of the Avalanche players nobody really stands out, Duchene led the team in scoring with 71 points, a lot of guys had good years but nobody had anything close to an outstanding or career year for the club except Varlamov. I feel that the drastic turnaround in the organization means that Varly deserves a lot more credit than any goalie in the game, just like Paddy Roy deserves to be a unaminous coach of the year. Oh God that last statement made me throw up a little in my mouth.

I think good call on Varly.

But I'm ultimately with the guys who don't give this award to a goalie.

For the life of me, I'm not sure I could articulate why. But I like this for a position player. Clearly, though, Varly was the AVS most valuable player.

I think Bergeron would have been fair as a finalist. Maybe even Taves. But I'm okay with the finalists and, like everyone here said, no matter who the finalists, it's got to be Crosby in a walk.

I think everyone is on the same path with Crosby walking away with it.

It's also a shame that Stamkos only played 37 games this year.

• Like 1