What becomes of Holmgren?

This is from Tim Pinnochio so I dont know how accurate this is but he is saying...

"There’s a reason why Ron Hextall came back to the organization and a reason why you no longer hear Hexy’s name mentioned anywhere else in the NHL when a GM spot opens up, including Washington, recently. The assumption is that Hextall will replace Holmgren, sooner rather than later.

Holmgren is entering the final year of his contract, but a number of NHL sources believe he will step aside and return to amateur scouting. As one source noted, scouting is what Holmgren has always liked best. He misses the relationship with that side of hockey."

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-have-big-questions-address-offseason

This is from Tim Pinnochio so I dont know how accurate this is but he is saying...

"There’s a reason why Ron Hextall came back to the organization and a reason why you no longer hear Hexy’s name mentioned anywhere else in the NHL when a GM spot opens up, including Washington, recently. The assumption is that Hextall will replace Holmgren, sooner rather than later.

Holmgren is entering the final year of his contract, but a number of NHL sources believe he will step aside and return to amateur scouting. As one source noted, scouting is what Holmgren has always liked best. He misses the relationship with that side of hockey."

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-have-big-questions-address-offseason

If Homer steps down, is fired, or "reassigned" I don't care. What I want to know is how is Hextall any different? He's still one of the good old boys. And is it going to matter anyway? The old man has his finger prints all over just about every contract.

• Like 2

If Homer steps down, is fired, or "reassigned" I don't care. What I want to know is how is Hextall any different? He's still one of the good old boys. And is it going to matter anyway? The old man has his finger prints all over just about every contract.

I agree but the argument that is coming is "Hexy went to LA and was in a different organization, yadda, yadda, yadda...  He won a cup there too...."

who the H knows what goes on behind closed doors in the Flyer's mgmt offices. we've speculated quite a bit that Snider is pulling the strings. he very well may be. but, one would have to think that bringing Hexy back into the fold after a successful cup run with LA... you'd have to think that part of the reasoning in bringing him back is to signal an acceptance to doing things a different way. 

I would like to think that Hexy came back with an understanding that he'd eventually take over for Homey and run things HIS way. But, we'll probably never know either way. 

IMHO , Homlgren will receive the credit he is due, in time. Some bad moves but some great to. But it's time to move to Hexy. But just remember, Hexy will be building upon a foundation Homer built. All is not lost, not even by a long shot. In a few years we may be talking about Morin, Hagg, Akeson, ect.... That's on Homer. Just remember that when the time comes.

Besides, look at the Canucks and even the Penguins might crap out, and never mind SJ... I'll take Homer over those GM's any day. 

And one other thought, look what LA just did. That's got Hexy's finger print all over it...

who the H knows what goes on behind closed doors in the Flyer's mgmt offices. we've speculated quite a bit that Snider is pulling the strings. he very well may be. but, one would have to think that bringing Hexy back into the fold after a successful cup run with LA... you'd have to think that part of the reasoning in bringing him back is to signal an acceptance to doing things a different way. 

I would like to think that Hexy came back with an understanding that he'd eventually take over for Homey and run things HIS way. But, we'll probably never know either way. 

Like hiring two cup-winning coaches from outside the organization (Hitch and Lavi)?

Like hiring two cup-winning coaches from outside the organization (Hitch and Lavi)?

I think there is a big difference b/t Coaches and GMs that have come in.   The GM makes the deals, makes the trades and adds players to the Team.  Coaches are given the players and generally have no say in the management of the Team (well, except Hitch hating Sharpe).  I for one do not believe there will be a new perspective until Snider is out of the picture.

I for one do not believe there will be a new perspective until Snider is out of the picture.

Come on, be positive. You gotta be or you will drink yourself to death on any issue. Snider wants a cup before he dies (and the days dwindle down) . The best option is for hexy to take the GM spot, Homer to take over the scouting (which if you look at his record of unsigned and amateur talent is quit good) and run with some speedy youth (mix to be determined) . Snider is smart enough to know that. The evidence is that that the Flyers didn't make any radical moves and did work with the youth... Patience. 

I think there is a big difference b/t Coaches and GMs that have come in.   The GM makes the deals, makes the trades and adds players to the Team.  Coaches are given the players and generally have no say in the management of the Team (well, except Hitch hating Sharpe).  I for one do not believe there will be a new perspective until Snider is out of the picture.

1. I agree. I think the old man is the one behind the "now, now, now" philosophy.

2. That being said, the philosophy has changed over the years. Gone are the days where the team is dominated by players like Roenick, Amonte, Recchi. We still have that element in the likes of Lecalvier, but this team has not gone through two eras of a youth-led roster. First was the Richards and Carter era, now this core.

Hextall's first move is to recapture the magic from "his" Cup run in LA and trade for a couple experienced players to round out the Flyers' core.

I can see it now... "Richards and Carter Return to Philadelphia"

:ph34r:

Hextall's first move is to recapture the magic from "his" Cup run in LA and trade for a couple experienced players to round out the Flyers' core.

nothing should surprise Flyer's fans anymore... even that. 

Snider's saying that they don't need a culture change is all I need to know to assume that things will be no different with Hextall or anyone else until Snider is on ice (not in the hockey way).

• Like 1

What I want to know is how is Hextall any different?

Exactly Hexy is the one who drafted two bust in back to back years.... the great Thomas Hickey(4th overall 2007) and Colten Tuebert (13th overall 2008)!!!!!

So yeah how is this any better?????

Not just you anyone who thinks so explain.....please.

Come on, be positive. You gotta be or you will drink yourself to death on any issue. Snider wants a cup before he dies (and the days dwindle down) . The best option is for hexy to take the GM spot, Homer to take over the scouting (which if you look at his record of unsigned and amateur talent is quit good) and run with some speedy youth (mix to be determined) . Snider is smart enough to know that. The evidence is that that the Flyers didn't make any radical moves and did work with the youth... Patience. 

"we dont need a fresh perspective"

Snider's saying that they don't need a culture change is all I need to know to assume that things will be no different with Hextall or anyone else until Snider is on ice (not in the hockey way).

Exactly Hexy is the one who drafted two bust in back to back years.... the great Thomas Hickey(4th overall 2007) and Colten Tuebert (13th overall 2008)!!!!!

Both are spot on!   I am willing to give Hexy a chance w/out question but do I expect things to be different?   Absolutely not b/c I truly believe Sinder is pulling the strings.  

Sure, why not? We can always use another center or 12.

Edited by fanaticV3.0
  • Like 1

none of those kids are ready for next year...  Ghost might have an outside chance but none of them will be on the opening roster.  

I seriously want to scream when I see people suggest any of them as options to fill our holes for next season.

Both are spot on!   I am willing to give Hexy a chance w/out question but do I expect things to be different?   Absolutely not b/c I truly believe Sinder is pulling the strings.  

Like isaid i'm speaking for me....i want a culture change....it needs it a fresh maybe different perspective on things. There is nothing wrong with that i'm tired of the constant goo ol boys....been there done that time for something new. But with that said....i wouldn't be incomplete revolt to Hexy i'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

I'm not going to write off Ron Hextall because of two picks. I just don't get how people can razz the old man over the "new perspective" comments, but then talk about how bad they want Hexy to take over.

I seriously want to scream when I see people suggest any of them as options to fill our holes for next season.

it makes no sense honestly.   it is not happening!!

Sure, why not? We can always use another center or 12.

LOL!  I just laughed out loud on that ... well played!

I'm not going to write off Ron Hextall because of two picks. I just don't get how people can razz the old man over the "new perspective" comments, but then talk about how bad they want Hexy to take over.

That is fine with me if you want to discount that but picks like those two right there are prime example of why guys want Homer ran out of town....had he made tow bad picks like....to it all needs to be part of the evaluation process not excluded...and those are just two examples....there are more.

Oscar Moller #22 same year as Hickey!

Edited by OccamsRazor