What becomes of Holmgren?

Posted · Hidden by brelic, May 4, 2014 - Dupe
Hidden by brelic, May 4, 2014 - Dupe

Richard's is not coming back and do you really want that contract?

The also gave away the best PK guy on the team for Downie this year which was another brain dead move by Homer....

Richard's is not coming back and do you really want that contract?

The also gave away the best PK guy on the team for Downie this year which was another brain dead move by Homer....

Talbot was ******* terrible, and pouted. That's why he was traded. And, his contract was too high for the performance. And he was an excessive centerman. And Adam Hall or Couturier both made him obselete. Downie sucked, but now that contract slot is up. I'm all for that. The Avs are stuck with Talbot for at least two more years from memory. No thank you.

Regarding Richards, I'm assuming he gets bought out. I don't want that existing contract either.

Talbot was garbage for us, I liked him and was excited by the thought of him, but he didn't work out here. 

his first year he played about 2 miles over his head, then prior to the trade, he played to his regular level, and was undelighted by his role. 

I don't miss him, we hardly missed him on the PK , he was going to be a 10/15 player which is fine but they are a dime a dozen.

Given the choice twixt him and Mike " I win all the things" Richards I know not one person that chooses Talbot.

plus we won't be getting "that " contract, if he's bought out.   

it's not happening though but for some reason is fun to speculate over.

This is obviously some new definition of the word "fun" I was previously unaware of.

See also: Weber, Shea.

:ph34r:

Talbot was ****** terrible, and pouted. That's why he was traded. And, his contract was too high for the performance. And he was an excessive centerman. And Adam Hall or Couturier both made him obselete. Downie sucked, but now that contract slot is up. I'm all for that. The Avs are stuck with Talbot for at least two more years from memory. No thank you.

Regarding Richards, I'm assuming he gets bought out. I don't want that existing contract either.

Good that you assume BC that contract is another Homer special. Everyone likes to speculate that Talbot was pouting so I ask yo please show me where that was ever written. Not saying its not true but I much rather have Talbot in my lineup rather than the slop known as Downie...

Please show me where he was pouting?

Talbot was garbage for us, I liked him and was excited by the thought of him, but he didn't work out here.

his first year he played about 2 miles over his head, then prior to the trade, he played to his regular level, and was undelighted by his role.

I don't miss him, we hardly missed him on the PK , he was going to be a 10/15 player which is fine but they are a dime a dozen.

Given the choice twixt him and Mike " I win all the things" Richards I know not one person that chooses Talbot.

plus we won't be getting "that " contract, if he's bought out.

Hold on... No one is comparing richards vs Talbot so not sure where that is coming from. My only point is if Richards were to come back it would be ludicrous if they took on that contract.

He is not coming back here regardless... That bridge had been burned. Hr hates the media and he most likely is not too fond of the teams management.

who the H knows what goes on behind closed doors in the Flyer's mgmt offices. we've speculated quite a bit that Snider is pulling the strings. he very well may be. but, one would have to think that bringing Hexy back into the fold after a successful cup run with LA... you'd have to think that part of the reasoning in bringing him back is to signal an acceptance to doing things a different way. 

I would like to think that Hexy came back with an understanding that he'd eventually take over for Homey and run things HIS way. But, we'll probably never know either way. 

We may not know, but it has happened consistently enough enough that it is transparent. How does a franchise like this, that always seems to be in the mix, never win a championship? All things have changed, uniforms, stadium, stadium name, players, coaches, Gm's, but one thing has remained. Unless Hextall (or whomever is the next GM) is given a chance to run the team his way, he will be the next "good 'ol boy" to fail

I would LOVE to have Richards back. Giroux could learn a thing or two from him, starting with keeping on ice frustration under control, not playing Mr FancyPants with the puck when real effort is what it takes, etc.

Man, imagine having Richards back and the impact on PK...

One thing we definitely need is a center. Twelve of them just isn't enough

Good that you assume BC that contract is another Homer special. Everyone likes to speculate that Talbot was pouting so I ask yo please show me where that was ever written. Not saying its not true but I much rather have Talbot in my lineup rather than the slop known as Downie...

Please show me where he was pouting?

I don't recall that in print, however his play on ice showed it. Many wanted the disenchanted Talbot gone, but were skeptical about bringing Downie back. The other thing is, I'd gladly take one year of Downie over three more of Talbot.

Teams keep that sort of stuff hush hush, partially because it's the right thing to do, and partially because it'll kill trade value if corroborated.

@doom88

I watched Talbot play 3rd and 4th line roles here as he matured in the league.  Talbot was and is the kind of guy that sacrifices everything for his team.  He may not have been performing so well under Laviolette... but who was?  Pouting?   Not a chance.  THe man was no all-star, but if you ever doubt what he will give for his team, replay yourself the playoff reel of him getting whooped by Carcillo in the playoff series in 2009.  He's a gamer.. through and through.  I wish we had him back, minus the overpayment Holmgren gave him.  

@doom88

I watched Talbot play 3rd and 4th line roles here as he matured in the league. Talbot was and is the kind of guy that sacrifices everything for his team. He may not have been performing so well under Laviolette... but who was? Pouting? Not a chance. THe man was no all-star, but if you ever doubt what he will give for his team, replay yourself the playoff reel of him getting whooped by Carcillo in the playoff series in 2009. He's a gamer.. through and through. I wish we had him back, minus the overpayment Holmgren gave him.

He was that guy. Not under Lavy.

He was that guy. Not under Lavy.

Actually, from what I recall, during his first full year with thew Flyers, he *was* doing just about all these things Polaris is talking about.  Then it almost looked like somebody flipped the switch and we started seing a totally different player. 

Actually, from what I recall, during his first full year with thew Flyers, he *was* doing just about all these things Polaris is talking about. Then it almost looked like somebody flipped the switch and we started seing a totally different player.

Yes, this. I was too brief posting from the phone.

I don't recall that in print, however his play on ice showed it. Many wanted the disenchanted Talbot gone, but were skeptical about bringing Downie back. The other thing is, I'd gladly take one year of Downie over three more of Talbot.

Teams keep that sort of stuff hush hush, partially because it's the right thing to do, and partially because it'll kill trade value if corroborated.

So based on the logic being used here I guess 88 has a son or daughter running around somewhere w/ Brindamour's wife too...   and Jeff Carter really was wanging Harnell's wife.

Sorry, but I will never agree w/ that trade.  Everyone on the Team absolutely stunk during that period - not just Talbot.  Downie even for a year is a waste of a roster spot.   Plays like an idiot and has a skull made of glass... no thanks.

Talbot was such an issue he gets traded then gets less ice time w/ the Avs and causes all sorts of problems on a great young team.   Oh wait that did not happen either...  Talbots terms are not what I would have signed him for but it was Homer we are talking about.   I much rather have Talbot at 1.75M compared to Downie's 2.65M this year.   I still get a chuckle when people like to blame Talbot for what happened at the beginning of the season b/c he was "pouting."  I also think it is hysterical when people try to argue Downie "turned the season around."

Edited by murraycraven

@murraycraven

Talbot wasn't earning his money. Downie started off good, but concussions or whatever, he became a lot less of a player than he was. The good thing is, his contract is done. Talbot still has 2 years left on his. As of now, this becomes a good trade.

I just wonder how many times Holmgren can go to the "well of getting rid of my bad signings".

Fc... I am not really debating the trade. Frankly, I hate when Downie was brought here and hope he is done in the O and B. When it comes to the Player I would prefer Max on my team. His contract was not his fault. And you are right about Homer going to the well on some of these deals. Hello Vinny and Hartnell!

Looking at Homers terms for Talbot it was the right move. Just not buying into he was mopy and pouty is all. He was not the sole reason this team was having problems.

Edited by murraycraven

@murraycraven

I liked Talbot but thought his contract was slightly excessive. It wasn't brutal by any means. The problem is there are many contracts that aren't brutal, but are slight overpayments. All of that excess together adds up to one or two good players.

You can't put the blame of the Flyers poor start on any one player. The team collectively stunk, other than a few guys.

The number of players drafted vs. number of players who make the league is staggeringly low.

The number of players who make the league vs. the number of players who make an actual impact is smaller still.

Hell, they brought back Downie of all people.

I know. That's why I don't go apeshit over prospects anymore until they prove they can stay with the team. I think the last time I did that was when we were worst in the league and actually thought two 2nd year players would just come in and be our 2nd and 3rd line centers. I like this young core and don't want any of them moved anywhere in the off season. But the last thing this team needs right now is more unproven youth. Most of the names people are tossing around won't even be in the organization in a few years.

I'd love to know the percentage of players who come from the AHL. Most kids who are thought to be legit prospects spend little-to-no time there. I'd love to know some legit names who spent significant time in that league and went on to become NHL players.

The good news about Downie is that he was so bad we don't have to worry about them bringing him back. It's obvious he's not wanted.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

One thing we definitely need is a center. Twelve of them just isn't enough

I can seriously see the old man suggesting to Homer and whoever else is involved in making personnel decisions that we could use another center. He's like the opposite of Andy Reid with LBs and WRs.

The team collectively stunk, other than a few guys.

that is more of my point.  Talbot's contract was an overpayment but nothing that was grossly negligent.   It is what it is and I hope both players do well elsewhere.  Talbot, to me, always seemed to be a class-act off the ice.  

And yes the Team collectively stunk "other than a few guys."  Funny that one of those guys was VLC!   what happened?!  LOL!

Actually, from what I recall, during his first full year with thew Flyers, he *was* doing just about all these things Polaris is talking about.  Then it almost looked like somebody flipped the switch and we started seing a totally different player. 

Any guy who can come in here and give it his all the way he did and then just call it quits after 11 games like that is a grad A loser. I was pissed when the trade happened, and hate Downie, but I'm glad Talbot is gone too. Only a mentally weak player phones it in and gets mopey as quick as he did.

RE:Talbot

He was great the prior year, I wonder if some of his issues were with not having his buddy (Gervais) around coupled with losing Danny B and Simon Gagne... I wonder if some of his malaise had to do with not having enough French speaking cats around.... his body language on the ice was awful, he had no jump in his step and wasn't making the Talbot type plays that made him popular in Pgh and his first season here.  All speculation on my part, but there is no questioning the turnaround in his game was pretty dramatic. 

I wonder if some of his malaise had to do with not having enough French speaking cats around....

Claude Giroux, Sean Couturier et Vincent Lecavalier disent "bonjour"!

I'm also not sure $1.75M is all that much money.

Clearly something happened with Talbot and then something clearly happened with Downie.

Kind of amazing how many guys seem to "tune out" here and "need a change of scenery."

Of course, it's all their problem and there's no need for the organization to make any changes as a result.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Clearly something happened with Talbot and then something clearly happened with Downie.

Kind of amazing how many guys seem to "tune out" here and "need a change of scenery."

with Downie it's called post concussion syndrome and the fact that he was "tuning out" may have had something to do with actual hearing loss he's been dealing with since 2011.

http://www.sportsinjuryalert.com/2014/04/flyers-steve-downie-out-indefinitely.html#.U2fO7PldVIE

as for Talbot, that was a really strange turn around, as i stated all speculation, but there was something going on with him, because he looked disinterested while he was here this year.